Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the coolest guns you own? A contest of Greatness!

Default What are the coolest guns you own? A contest of Greatness!

At the shop we have this thing called "cool gun alert" which basically means that whenever a interesting, historical, one of a kind, or rare, or just plain cool gun comes in I scream "Cool Gun Alert" as insanely as I can (easy) and then the Kid comes running followed by the rest of the guys, and then we spend valuable time just soaking up the essence of the thing, dissecting it, talking about it, etc...

So whats a cool gun? Well walk in with a pre 64 Westerner, or pre war Obendorf Sporter, or non import Imperial Westinghouse 91 MN, or a Norwegian Krag, or Borchardt, or Colt Bisley, or Luger, or S&W pre any Model, or prewar Win 95, or Remington 30, or.......*insert here* and watch me warble like a burhka babe in a *lets burn the flag of the Great Satan* rally...

So who has the coolest gun out there in Alaska cyber land. Post a pic...argue and fight over it. Laugh at some (hey I gots me a Raven .25 what do you guys think of that nyuh nyuh). I'll select 3-5, put em in a poll and then we can have a vote. Winner gets 100 rounds of pistol ammo on us.

Me and the Kid aint eligible. Here is mine anyway: circa 1878 Webley-Pryse No. 4, Marked James Dalziel Dougall, Edinboro and London (he was the Elmer Keith and Jack O'conner of the Victorian Era along with Greener). Coincidently, its getting shot today

.IMG_4564.jpg

Here she is nothing too spectacular but I like it. Its a High Standard Flight King K 100. (This is a picture off the internet I dont have one of my actual gun but it looks just like this one minus the slip on butt pad.) Has a built in variable choke that goes from x full to cylinder.
    k 100.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    At the shop we have this thing called "cool gun alert" which basically means that whenever a interesting, historical, one of a kind, or rare, or just plain cool gun comes in I scream "Cool Gun Alert" as insanely as I can (easy) and then the Kid comes running followed by the rest of the guys, and then we spend valuable time just soaking up the essence of the thing, dissecting it, talking about it, etc...

So whats a cool gun? Well walk in with a pre 64 Westerner, or pre war Obendorf Sporter, or non import Imperial Westinghouse 91 MN, or a Norwegian Krag, or Borchardt, or Colt Bisley, or Luger, or S&W pre any Model, or prewar Win 95, or Remington 30, or.......*insert here* and watch me warble like a burhka babe in a *lets burn the flag of the Great Satan* rally...

So who has the coolest gun out there in Alaska cyber land. Post a pic...argue and fight over it. Laugh at some (hey I gots me a Raven .25 what do you guys think of that nyuh nyuh). I'll select 3-5, put em in a poll and then we can have a vote. Winner gets 100 rounds of pistol ammo on us.

Me and the Kid aint eligible. Here is mine anyway: circa 1878 Webley-Pryse No. 4, Marked James Dalziel Dougall, Edinboro and London (he was the Elmer Keith and Jack O'conner of the Victorian Era along with Greener). Coincidently, its getting shot today

.IMG_4564.jpg
    A really nice old revolver. I wonder where it's been and what service it's seen in its long life . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    A really nice old revolver. I wonder where it's been and what service it's seen in its long life . . . ?

I have been researching it for 2 years. There seem to be no records left of Dougalls company and Im not getting any responses from some of the Brits I have contacted. Seems that its the only extant Dougall marked revolver. Got to keep working on it...

Good news is that it shoots like a racehorse considering its 14 pound SA trigger and primitive sights. Put 24 rounds in one ragged hole at 7 yards...lots of smoke from those 455 Black powder rounds (acutally they would be 450s or 476s in terms of power, ie, 600 fps)

I have a M1 Garand and a M1 Carbine, both have alot of history with our country.

Coolest one to me is a .63 caliber flint lock pistol used by one of my ancestors in our Revolution...not in the best of shape but still special to me. Brass barrel and silver inlay (mostly missing) and what looks like walnut. It has a crest on the butt and I'm told it came over with one of my Irish relatives in the mid 1700's.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have a 1895 Winchester in 30-06.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1878 Parker double barrel 10 gauge...was my great grandfathers
    In the Bush

A Remington Mod 8 in .30 Rem that was my grandfathers. Good metal but the wood is a little rough, need to take it to the range one of these days. It has not been fired in 30 or more years.

Lowrider that is a cool piece of family history you have there!

"Cool" runs in about nine directions for me. But the coolest pair are more about their life histories than the model.

First is the 45 Colt SAA my dad carried as a deputy on the border in the 1950's in the tooled leather belt and holster he made himself. I'm not much for flowers and such on leather, but I treasure his name across the back, the wear inside the holster and the loss of bluing on the muzzle and leading edge of the cylinder. And of course the stories he told.

Next is a very early 450 Alaskan. One of the first handful made, ordered by a close friend who carried it many years as a fishhawk, and passed on to me in his declining years. Lotta stories in it's life and honest wear on the bluing.

I have a 1911 Ithaca pistol that is original in frame and slide only. It was built into a match grade "Hardball" gun by Alton Dinan way back in the '70's. I used that gun to win my Distinguished Pistol badge.

I have a Remington model 720 that is engraved on the floor plate "Navy Trophy Match". I've had it since 1975.

I have Marlin model 39M that my dad gave me when I was 30.

I have a Dakota Arms model 76 Safari that is chambered in a cartridge I designed.

I have a single barrel Stevens 16 gauge shot gun that once belonged to my dad. He received it from his uncle when he was in his teens. He used it to put food on the table when I was but a toddling tyke. It became mine when he past away in 1989.
    So.......I guess my coolest gun is the 16 gauge.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Mint condition, serial number puts it at 1945 production.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

A couple of early 80's Nylon 66's and a Model 12 from the 20's. Just picked up a 1954 Model 70 in 243 last week. Not sure why. My son has a 700 RMEF Youth model in the same caliber but I figured what the heck.

1903 Springfield that's been sporterized, but still has the Pederson device cutout.

The coolest to me were passed down from my mother: an 1873 .22 short Smith Patent, and an 1873 .32 Smith Patent.
    I actually would like to bring them in and have you appraise them.

My coolest new one is a S&W 629V Comp that is slick.
    BEE

I have an R.F. Sedgley Sporter 30/06 with a lyman model 48 peep and a compass in the stock. Its a nice old gun.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Attachment 61836

Rem .25-20. I think the wood is cool, and yes it's factory.

I've got a few oddballs...

An early Model 12 Winchester in pretty nice shape...nothing fancy, just a great condition working gun and family heirloom.

A .32 S&W Long snubby on an "I" Frame with a vintage Bianchi holster, another heirloom.

I recently picked up a Ruger 77 Express in .270 with a pre-production serial number (781-xxxx) and gorgeous wood.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

1938 Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck. I'm told they're somewhat rare.

I have a Walther 1936 Olympia 22 pistol 9" version, a pre war Walther PPK in 32, a T33 Tokarev (1939 vintage) and a Colt Officers Model 38 Special. For rifles, an original 1917 Enfield, 2 Mod 8 Rems (30 and 35), 1952 M70 Win in 300H&H, 2 M92 Wins 32/20 and 25/20, a Savage23B in 25/20 and a 1919 Savage NRA 22. Most of this stuff is special to me for various reasons but may not mean much to others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast