Thread: sea grate for inboard jet?

Default sea grate for inboard jet?

So i have been reaing up on stomp grates and what not. I am just about sold on a stomper for a winter project on my 22' weldcraft with 3 stage hamilton. I read another post the other day and noticed another member referencing a "sea grate" that worked exceptionally well in salt water to mitiate weed clog ups. Has anyone else ver heard of these grates? Can I get one as an add on or how do they even work? Thanks

My stomp grate works very well in the ocean. PWS is full of floating sea weed. In the 2 days and knights out in PWS I used my stomp grate quite a few time. Stomp on it 2 or 3 times and the salid would come out and away we went. It is just a regular stomp grate. Same deal with my buddy's Hamilton. Stomp it couple of time and he was off as well
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

With the "sea grate", the grate bars at the rear of the grate are not attached and extend slightly past the end of the grate. This allows any weeds that accumulate on the grate to slide off the end of the "fingers" while the boat is under way.
    Use of the sea grate on the rivers would be a no-no as the fingers flex a bit and would allow larger than normal rocks, etc into the intake.
    Not sure if it's an off the shelf item, my father seems to remember that a friend of his had a couple fabricated and gave one to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    With the "sea grate", the grate bars at the rear of the grate are not attached and extend slightly past the end of the grate. This allows any weeds that accumulate on the grate to slide off the end of the "fingers" while the boat is under way.
    Use of the sea grate on the rivers would be a no-no as the fingers flex a bit and would allow larger than normal rocks, etc into the intake.
    Not sure if it's an off the shelf item, my father seems to remember that a friend of his had a couple fabricated and gave one to him.
    I am scepitcal of a sea grates effectiveness at being able to allow kelp salad to just slide past a huge pump turning 3500RPMs, I installed a stomp grate on my 22' inboard with a 3 stage pump and think they are worth their weight in gold. When out in PWS I make it a habit to stomp the grate regularly after a stop, sometimes the stop and stomp is unplanned, keep an eye on the Temp* and Tach gauges for an early indicator.

Go with a stompgrate, you will not be disappointed.

Like everyone else said with the STOMP grate there is not need for anything else and I find it hard to believe that anything else could match the performance of a STOMP grate, they are life savers at times.

If you like to swim in cold water you don't need a stomp grate.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Agree fully with the stomp grate, I have one myself!!!

When we had the sea grate, it was back in the pre-stomp grate days...

Is there any loss of HP with a stomp grate? Also, some XS have a handle at the console to use the "stomp" grate. Is there a way to do this as an after market on a big block inboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Pettitgc View Post
    Is there any loss of HP with a stomp grate? Also, some XS have a handle at the console to use the "stomp" grate. Is there a way to do this as an after market on a big block inboard?
    No loss of HP or performance otherwise, yes an install as an aftermarket can be done. As for the handle at the console, I have no knowledge of those.

I have an stomp grate. Works great. Need to shut motor off and just stomp it a few times and on third time I hold it until I see the sea weeds floating away. Works great and east to install.

Another problem with a sea grate is when you go to shore and get in some shallow water. I have on a few occasions found the back of the boat in less water then prefered and I wouldn't want the risk of eating up an impellar. That would be worse than the weeds

Quote Originally Posted by Pettitgc View Post
    The helm stomp lever is an option and idea Phantom designed years ago on the sportjon. The design is simple and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with a big block grate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    The helm stomp lever is an option and idea Phantom designed years ago on the sportjon. The design is simple and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with a big block grate as well.
    That's where I saw the idea at this years boat show in Anchorage. Do you know of anyone who would be able to make the mod?