Thread: Boating the Yukon for moose

Default Boating the Yukon for moose

We have a trip planned to moose hunt in unit 21b. Hunting just east of Ruby. The original plan was to fly an inflatable and a motor into ruby and hunt out of the inflatable for 2 weeks with 3 guys. One guy dropped out so we are now spending more each to get the boat in and we have less weight in the boat so I was wondering if boating in is a better option. We will have a 14 ft zodiac inflatable with a 40hp motor. Putting in at the haul road bridge and heading down should be 225 miles give or take. I have never been on this stretch of the Yukon so I do not know I'd this is a good idea or not. What do you guys think? 14ft zodiac with a 40 horse on the yukon? How doable and how safe is it? It would save us a lot of money.
    Also considering flying the boat out as an option so we don't have to run it up current.

Thanks for any help

What made you pick east of Ruby?
    I assume your in Anch. Options are:
    Fly gear/boat to Galena on Everts. Fly yourselves to Galena on Era Alaska. Drive boat to hunt areea and back to Galena when done. Ship gear/boat/meat to Anch on Everts. Fly back to Anch. on Era.

Drive truck and gear to Fbks. Fly gear/boat/yourselves to Ruby on Era Alaska. Hunt. Fly everything back to Fbks on Era.

Drive truck and gear/boat to Bridge, but get dropped off. Drive boat down Yukon to hunt area. When done hunting, drive boat/gear/meat to Galena and ship to Anch on Everts. Fly yourselves on Era to Anch.

Or you could just drive the zodiac back to the bridge. Yukon can be rough in places. Probably doable in the Zodiac tho. Would suspect that shipping everything back from Galena would be cheaper than driving boat back up river. You can figure your gas consumption and compare costs.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well we will be in Fairbanks after a caribou hunt so will either be flying from there are boating in. We initially had a connection S of ruby where we could base out of and that is why we chose that area. That situation fell through but we still have our permits in 21B dm808. Ive done a lot of research on the area and have sone pretty solid spots in mind to hunt and it is too late to start planning a different hunt. If we fly the inflatable and motor in to ruby we pay the cost of 2 flights plus getting our gear in...probably 500 bucks each guy. If we put the boat in on the haul road and boat down we just have to pay for gas for the boat. With a 14ft zodiac and a 40hp motor going down river I would imagine gas wouldn't be too expensive. We can fly our meat out of ruby back to Fairbanks along with our gear and boat against the current back or just fly everything, including ourselves, from ruby back to Fairbanks.
    Just wondering if a 14ft zodiac with a 40hp is enough boat for the trip. Is it enough to go downriver? Is it enough to make the trip back against the current?
    Thanks for the help guys, getting close to the hunt and changes in plans are making me go crazy.

Also may help to know we are going relatively lightweight/backpack style with our gear. Two guys, 200lbs and 170lbs, plus 100 pounds of gear each. Plus the weight of gas in the boat. So less than 600 pounds before gas.

I have done stuff like this in the past. We used a 16' zodiac with 40hp. I dont know how much fuel you are planning on bringing but the biggest problem with a zodiac is space available. With 2 moose and 2 guys with camp the boat will have a hard time getting on step. We had 3 people, camp and 2 moose and we where averaging 9-10 mph plowing downstream. If we would have tried to go up river we would have only been going 3mph or so.
    I would suggest flying into Galena and then running up river when light then plowing your way downstream when heavy. Good luck.

As far as the meat goes I'm not as concerned with that as we can fly it from ruby to Fairbanks. We have that all figured out, I'm more wondering if we will have any issues taking on the Yukon with a 14ft inflatable with 40hp and two guys with gear loaded (600lb total+gas). When we get a moose down we will take it to ruby and fly it to Fairbanks, just more concerned about the river with us and our gear getting in and out. It sounds like its capable of making the trip from the haul road bridge to ruby downstream without any issues, how will it be going against the current of we decide to boat out way back out?

How much time do you have and how uncomfortable do you want to be to save some money? At 15 MPH that is 2- 3 days (or more) to get upriver. Maybe 2 to get down. Say 6 days at 10 hours or more on the tiller of a little boat. I am sure you could do it, but why man. Pony up some cash and make it work well is my opinion. If you were cash conscious you would not be going that far down the yukon to begin with. Maybe spend the money you were going to pay on all the airfare and get a 20 ft beater john boat and put that 40 on it? That would still be a rough way to go though but at least you could stand up from time to time.

Don't you hate the last minute changes to big plans. My Yukon trip was cancelled two days before we were going last year and my Brother told me this week that he is a maybe this year after we have been planning for 6 months now. Little time to get another person or change locations. Every body has good reasons to back out, and I don't blame them. Still sucks though. Sucks worse when the reason is bogus.

Hope everything works out for you. When will you be floating/boating down if you decide on that route?

Your raft and motor are more than enough to handle the Yukon, people ruin it in everything from log rafts to barges. There is even a video on youtube of people putting a Ford Explorer on a log raft at the bridge and rafting it downstream to a village.

Your biggest issue will be time and how much fuel your raft motor combo uses and being able to have enough enough fuel on board to get you from one location to the next. Going downstream will be easy, just idle along and save fuel, that is if you have enough time in your schedule.

Hey sorry it took a while to respond, real busy lately. The plan is to boat out the morning of the 11th and split the trip downriver up into two days. With a 40 horse going downstream I would think we could do 20 mph very easy, so looking at 11 hours of boating give or take. We have until the 25th to hunt so assuming we start the evening of the 12th, we will have about 13.5 days. I'm thinking we will probably fly everything out when the trip is done. Planning on having 60 gallons of gas in the boat and filling up in tanana on the way down.

Not really an expert, but this doesn't sound good to me. I've done a few trips on the Yukon, all upriver of Circle or on the Canadian side. It is a very strong current, if you think you'll make 20 mph downriver, I would think you'll be looking at less than 10 mph on the way back up. No idea what sort of burn rate you have on fuel, but 60 gallons sounds really light. I can recall burning much more fuel on that just to go 60 miles upriver in a 20 foot boat with a fairly light load (we were heading upriver to hunt).

To me, the big problem you have is that to head home you'll be going upriver, and if all goes well, you'll be loaded. Running out of gas would be a huge problem. If you end up a mile short, it may as well be a hundred miles short.

On top of all of this, you'll be looking at some really long hours at the tiller...

But....to each their own.

I don't know what you've decided on for your return trip to the bridge, but you could have the zodiac barged back to Nenana. It would be cheaper than air freight. Inland Barge would be the folks to contact for that. The dm808 permit puts you literally in my front yard. I'm sure I'll be seeing you this fall. If you run into any problems or need some help, I'm 15 miles above Ruby on the North side. If you're looking for it you can't miss it. Have a safe trip. Looks like I'll have some competition this year. I better get mine early.

We will be on the same hunt, leaving on the 15th from the bridge. We'll be in a 24' Valco mostly covered with a 130 honda. I'll be looking for you!

Doing this trip in your boat is not a problem. I do this every year with a 40-60hp motor.I run a 4stroke and it takes me 39 gallons from the bridge to Galena and 59 gal back. The river runs about 5-6 miles per hour so take that off of your top speed for the ride home. I run at 31mph down and about 25 home. That 40 should push you(light) about 20 -28 so do the math. Not bad. It takes me about 9 hours to Ruby. I see people in canoes on the river every year, your boat can handle it. But if you do not have anyway to get out of the wind you might have a problem. The river can get super nasty with wind, and if you have rain or snow driving that far exsposed can be a bad idea.