Thread: Where to go/what to do

Default Where to go/what to do

So I'll give you some insight first. I used to sport fish like crazy, then I started raising a family. So the crowds didn't cut it for me anymore. I focused on hunting and dip netting. And paying for my son's hockey, lol! So now, present time, son is old enough to flip for reds and reel in halibut, so with more time off and more $$, it's time to get back into it a little. We've had a fairly good summer with limits of halibut and a few salmon here and there (we kept missing the good pushes on the Klutina and my technique isn't perfected).

So this being said, my wife, son and I have the 2-7 of August to try to finally put some reds in the freezer. So here goes---I'm not looking for anybody's personal "honey hole", I'm looking for a spot that will be "less crowded" that is family friendly. I've read some of the recent posts this morning and am less than impressed with some of our fellow "sportsman". I'm looking for a fellow forum member who may have a family of their own who wants to show this Fairbanks group some pointers. Our original plan was to head towards Kenai/Soldotna. We are fine with bank fishing, late hours (to beat large crowds), etc. We just want to take the travel trailer out and relax and finally put a few reds in the freezer. The Kenai area is intimidating in the fact that if you don't know where to go/how to fish it yo could spend a whole week figuring it out.

I'm looking for any info, if there is another place for reds, I'm fine with that too. Seems like the Richardson Hwy is about done. Any advice info is appreciated. I fly fish and spin fish, I know enough to get by, but am looking for assistance. We're just another Alaskan family trying to teach their children to live right.

Thanks ink advance for any and all help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could try Klutina, should be less crowds and closer to NP.

I'd definitely give the Klutina a try. There should still be some reds to catch. I've caught them there in late July. I'd go today if I were able.

I'd stay at Groves or Klutina campground. They're both on the river in Copper Center and they both have some bank that's fishable.

If you're going to the Kenai area, I'd suggest you focus on the upper river as that's where the majority of the reds will be by then. If you don't have a raft, get ahold of Max (alaskacanoe on here) and arrange to rent a raft for a couple of days. By floating the upper Kenai you'll find plenty of space for your family to fish peacefully and there should be a lot of fish in the river by then. That's the route I'd go.

Thanks gang. I have been fishing the Klutina, 3 times this year, just looking at something different.

Brian, I do have a raft. Is there a service that will get me back to my truck, or camper? Also, what is the best way to fish it? What stretch should I try?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wildmans has a shuttle. They are on the right as you come off the hill toward the river. Lots of guys just hitchhike. Easier in waders, they know what you are doing.

Bing's Landing in Sterling and Issac Walton where the Moose R meets the Kenai may still be active. May also have some pinks and slvers. Take the Kenai Spur in Soldotna and look for Eagle Rock past the big antenna, maybe 5 miles, on the left. It is a $10/car pay site with reasonable access and you may hit an active Pink and Silver run. They are close enough to the salt that there are some pretty bright pinks. Walk down down from the parking for silvers.

Good suggestions by Tee Jay on pinks in the lower river for a change of pace and on Wildman's shuttle. I always just hitchhike and never have a hard time getting a ride, but there is a shuttle if you arrange it.

For a primarily fishing trip, I'd float from Sportsman's Landing (at the Russian River ferry crossing) to Jim's Landing (before the Kenai Canyon). It's a reasonably short stretch of river - maybe an hour of float time? - and it has lots of good banks and islands for fishing. Fish it like you would the Klutina and you should find some success. The float from the outlet at Kenai Lake adds about an hour and a half to the float and is really pretty/peaceful, but the fishing is generally better down below Sportsman's.