Thread: BLM-Alaska Announces Scoping Period for Hunting Guide Capacity Study

Default BLM-Alaska Announces Scoping Period for Hunting Guide Capacity Study

Release Date: 07/28/12
    Contacts: Ruth McCoard, 907-271-4418, rmccoard@blm.gov
    KJ Mushovic, 907-271-3322, kjmushovic@blm.gov
    News Release No. 12-16
    BLM-Alaska Announces Scoping Period for Hunting Guide Capacity Study
    BLM-Alaska is seeking public input on a planned statewide commercial hunting guide capacity analysis. BLM is proposing to establish allocation thresholds for special recreation permits authorizing commercial hunting guiding on BLM managed lands in Alaska. Interested parties are asked to identify issues and concerns that should be considered during an environmental analysis of the proposal. Detailed comments related to social issues or potential user conflict related to commercial hunting guiding in specific Guide Use Areas will be most useful for this analysis.

Comments and requests to be added to the mailing list may be submitted through September 9 by any of the following methods:

Email: BLM_AK_Hunt_Guide_Capacity_Study@blm.gov
    Fax: (907) 271-5479 Attn: GUA Comments
    Mail: BLM Alaska State Office, Attn: Hunting Guide Capacity Comments, BLM Alaska, 222 West 7th Avenue, Suite 13, Anchorage, AK 99513

For additional information, contact Bill Overbaugh at 907-271-5508 after July 31, or visit the BLM website at: http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/planning/Hunting_Guide_Capacity_Study_EA.html.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:
    The BLM has received public interest and comments on social issues and user conflicts with commercial hunting guides. To address these conflicts, the BLM proposes to complete a statewide hunting guide capacity analysis, through an environmental assessment (EA), to determine the allocation of Special Recreation Permits (SRP) for each Guide Use Area on BLM public lands in Alaska.
    The goal of this analysis is to determine the proper allocation of commercial hunting guide permits per Guide Use Area based on user conflicts and social issues associated with commercial hunting guides. These social issues are anticipated to drive the scope of the EA, including the affected environment, the identification of alternatives, the analysis of impacts, and subsequent decisions.
    The purpose of the public scoping process is to identify relevant issues and criteria that will guide the process and influence the scope of the analysis and alternatives. Detailed comments related to social user conflict (or the lack thereof) related to commercial hunting guides in specific Guide Use Areas will be the most important for this analysis. You may submit comments in writing to the BLM during the scoping process or by the methods listed in the Comment section above.
    Thank you for your interest in Alaska’s public lands.

Chuck

Word inside BLM is this was puched for by the syaye. BLM is the last fed. lands that don't have limited guide permits. State is striking fear in to BLM if State concession program goes in to effect. Leftover guides will flock to BLM lands.
    Going to be pretty hard to operate as a guide if you can't get a land permit from any govt agency.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Apology for my poor typing and proof reading yesterday. Opening sentence should be:
    Word inside BLM is this was PUSHED for by STATE.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Interesting, this could open the door for a little less competition for residents.

Interesting, this will be as big a cluster as the State (I mean the APHA) is proposing and no less competition for residents. Not surprising though....