Thread: Anybody fish the Portage bike trail area?

Default Anybody fish the Portage bike trail area?

I'm going to ride the Portage bike trail and plan on bringing a rod along. Anybody know anything about fishing that area? Theres gotta be trout and/or dollies I would imagine with all the spawning going on.

Portage creek has a decent number of dollies this time of year. They are not big like on the Kenai, but you won't find a crowd after them either. Salmon fishing there can be difficult to get the timing of; the sockeye run in particular is sudden and short. The silvers last a bit longer. Chum are plentiful but ripen almost immediately.

try fishing the mouth of the lil clear water creek that flows into portage creek at the road near the camp ground. there should be dollies there. there was alot of salmon fry around last time i checked it out.

Thanks for the advice! Got a dollie right under the bike trail bridge in that clear water creek. Nothing hot and heavy, but I just fished for a few minutes. I'm guessing it will get better as more and more salmon show up.

Did you look in at the viewing platform? I'm curious if any chum are in there or just the ripe sockeye.

Can I ask what you used? I wanted to take the kids there to camp and bike around. We have a few little spinning poles and I'm just sort of learning with them on how to fish with bait and a bobber at the lakes.

I have caught fish there on beads, nymphs, clousers and spinners. Be sure to stop by the viewing platform. The presence of chums in the creek indicates a larger bead size.

I used a small egg pattern. I did not stop at the viewing pattern. Chums should be there though. If not, any day.

Keep in mind Williwaw Creek does not open to fishing until September 16th.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I fished Portage today. Didn't see anything at the viewing area, but plenty of ripe chum and a few ripe sockeye in the river. Chum were aggressively chasing leach-type flies, reds were shy. Got a few nice dollies on beads, clouser, and flash. Couple of ripe pinks, no silvers.

I talked with a guy yesterday at the Black Bear camp ground who was cleaning a mess of chums and reds which he had caught where the clear stream flows into Portage. He said the chums were very agressive with anything chartreuse, while he lined the reds Kenai style.

Fresh reds or green headed tomatoes?