Thread: Kind of an odd moment on the upper Kenai last Wednesday eve...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Kind of an odd moment on the upper Kenai last Wednesday eve...

OKay so i was tired and off my game from 5 days of rowing and it was 9 pm.... so i didnt catch up till after my head was on my Cot at the RR campground...

But.. we landed at Jims landing late... place was nearly cleared out, and someone mentioned there was a bear nearby... No biggy bears all over that river...

i walked up to get the truck, and by the time i was back to load the raft, a crowd of fisherman and my kids and missus were excited about the sow and cubs, just 50 yards away... they were down the side channel that runs past the end of the parking...

i walked up behind a plain clothes guy with a 1911 in a tactical thigh holster, and asked where they were...

when he turned i noticed the UsFWS on his beenie cap... no patch jus the white letters... so it did not EXACTLY then sink in...

he told me they were about 50 yards... and not to worry as there were about 30 salmon fillets there for them to eat..

i looked at the anxious missus and said long as they have eats. and are down there dont worry... and went off to load my boat and gear.. one more look from the gent.. and it struck me he was USFWS... summer hire or not i dont know..

but a few hours later i wanted to go back and find him... and QUESTION.. as to WHY there were salmon fillets in a busy loading area for bears to eat...

are they baiting them for the tourist to see?

baiting is Browns is illegal in that area, and all baiting is illegal this time of season...
    sport caught fish may not be used as bait on top of that...

if someone is in the area and gets the opportunity... to see hear the same... some questions need to be asked, and possibly the troopers contacted.

like i said... i was way late into the realization of the comments. and the bears had eaten the fillets by the next morning.. the missus boy did see a fillet.. not a carcus, get grabbed by the cub ( yearling)

something to keep an eye on i guess.

at anyrate.. 6 days on the kenai.. the family had a great time, rowed the upper river and lower skilak to Dots landing on thursday afternoon... ( everyone should do that every day!!!!!!!!!!) (( NOT)) 15 ft NRS with family of 6 and all the gear.. my arse is still worn out.. but after all spring laid up... it feels GREAT to have been out.. lots of fish in that river.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

thanks again Vince for the great food and company, i'll find a way to payback for that push into the river.. and if anyone finds my 9wt. id greatly appreciate it's return..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Hey Vince,
    Saw the same thing...I think I saw you getting ready to load up...I was in the red cataraft, black pickup, with son and wife...saw and heard the commotion on the far side of the parking lot...my wife was pretty nervous as we had been chased out of a fishing spot earlier by a nice blondie cruising the bank...Saw enough bears for the day!!!...Why would anyone put fillets next to the takeout...grrrr

Maybe he meant carcasses?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    Hey Vince,
    Saw the same thing...I think I saw you getting ready to load up...I was in the red cataraft, black pickup, with son and wife...saw and heard the commotion on the far side of the parking lot...my wife was pretty nervous as we had been chased out of a fishing spot earlier by a nice blondie cruising the bank...Saw enough bears for the day!!!...Why would anyone put fillets next to the takeout...grrrr
    would have known it was me.... my rig stands out in a crowd... as do the missus's

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I thought I recognized that truck before from a previous post...was almost nice to meet you...

We saw that sow and her two cubs all along the river yesterday. We were on a guided trip. The 2 cubs found another charters stringer of fish. Those were some happy cubs, but not so happy guides. Momma and baby bears weren't very afraid of people so if you see them, you may want to give them plenty of room.

I'm wondering if the owners of the fillets got spooked by the bears and dropped them as they were running?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Vince, I think you may bbe trying to read too much into the situation. If the feds were "baiting" the bears for tourists, they could/would pick a better spot to do it. No tourists at Jim's (unless they were fishing) & then not nearly as many that could be titulated as would be a few miles upstream. There may have been a communication prob, too. Are you sure they were eating "salmon fillets" as opposed to "filleted salmon"?
    At any rate glad that you & the family had a great time on the river & even got to see a few bears.

Im guessing they were carcases....Its not the bears that scare me at Jims....Its the idiots that decide to park thier boat/raft on the ramp....Break down thier gear, have a sandwich, then hitchhike up to get thier car at sportsmans...Not giving a rats ass about anyone else wanting to get out
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Im guessing they were carcases....Its not the bears that scare me at Jims....Its the idiots that decide to park thier boat/raft on the ramp....Break down thier gear, have a sandwich, then hitchhike up to get thier car at sportsmans...Not giving a rats ass about anyone else wanting to get out
    +1 Billion to this Chuck. And I hate to say it, but 9 times out of 10 it's rafters. Clear the launch for those who have a truck there. I've about give up on the Upper Kenai on weekends. [sarcasm] Don't wanna get hauled off to the pokey for putting a .454 into some *****hat's raft . . . [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Vince, I think you may bbe trying to read too much into the situation. If the feds were "baiting" the bears for tourists, they could/would pick a better spot to do it. No tourists at Jim's (unless they were fishing) & then not nearly as many that could be titulated as would be a few miles upstream. There may have been a communication prob, too. Are you sure they were eating "salmon fillets" as opposed to "filleted salmon"?
    At any rate glad that you & the family had a great time on the river & even got to see a few bears.
    could be... and thats what i may have thought at first... they meant carcusses... BUT....

the questions should be asked should the situation brun intoto again... many of the summer higher help has NO idea they cant dump fillets they confiscated or other...

heard a neat story the other day, about Nat Geographic filming baited browns and getting pinched ... so its NOT unheard of.. should i run into the young man again ... i wcertainlyanly ask him.. and since myCodifiedided is always in truck i can educate him too.

meet on face book here