Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 in 32 Special

Default Marlin 336 in 32 Special

Was headed into the big city today, well a lot bigger than our 2500, and stopped at a hole in the wall pawn shop in the next metropolis over, about 1500 people. On the weekends they put up some plywood on saw horses and pack out all the rifles and shotguns they have stashed in the back. I went in for a look and noticed a whole table full of lever guns. I'm normally a bolt gun man, but lately I've been thinkin a 35 rem in a marlin would be nice to have. Anyways, on a table full of 30-30's they had 2 Marlin 336's in 32 Special. One with a 20" barrel I belive and they other had to have been 24", I liked that one better.
    I was wondering how long ago Marlin chambered the 336 in 32 Special, how much would these be worth in ok condition, and what do you guys think of the old 32 Special?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Can't say on date and value, but I'm a fan of the round. In my experience I usually get better performance with heavy cast bullets than with the 30-30.

I bet one of those old 32 Special's would work good for shooting black bears outta trees.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I was wondering how long ago Marlin chambered the 336 in 32 Special, how much would these be worth in ok condition, and what do you guys think of the old 32 Special?
    If you're a handloader it's everything the 30/30 is except for the paucity of bullets from which to choose. If you're a factory ammo guy, there are a lot of selections that have better availablity, though I think Hornady lists the 32 Win Spcl in their LEVERevolution line......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Marlin made the 336 in 32sp from the rifles introduction in 1948 until around the early 70's if I'm not mistaken. The 24" model you saw is the A model and if it's checkered is likely the Deluxe ADL. The 20" gun will be either the RC, regular carbine, or the SC for Sporting carbine. The only difference between the two is the RC has a full magazine, whereas the SC model came with the 2/3 length mag.
    The 32 is a good cartridge and will do everything the 30/30 will. The only difference between the two cartridges that may be an advantage for the 32 is that they generally have a better twist rate for handling cast bullets, as Brownbear pointed out. Brass can be made from 30/30 with a simple pass through the sizer and load data as well as ballistics are pretty much interchangeable. The downside is the decided lack of properly shaped bullets of the right diameter. There are enough bullet choices to get the job done, but nowhere near the amount of options it's smaller necked brother has.

I generally see the RC versions of these guns selling in the 300$ range with the SC and A models demanding a slight premium. The A's are the rarest of the bunch, although the SC is my personal favorite, not that it matters to anyone other than me.

Anyways, if the price is right you ought to pick it up along with a set of dies, might be a fun way to fill some doe tags or shoot a bear on a bait.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Marlin made the 336 in 32sp from the rifles introduction in 1948 until around the early 70's if I'm not mistaken. The 24" model you saw is the A model and if it's checkered is likely the Deluxe ADL. The 20" gun will be either the RC, regular carbine, or the SC for Sporting carbine. The only difference between the two is the RC has a full magazine, whereas the SC model came with the 2/3 length mag.
    The 32 is a good cartridge and will do everything the 30/30 will. The only difference between the two cartridges that may be an advantage for the 32 is that they generally have a better twist rate for handling cast bullets, as Brownbear pointed out. Brass can be made from 30/30 with a simple pass through the sizer and load data as well as ballistics are pretty much interchangeable. The downside is the decided lack of properly shaped bullets of the right diameter. There are enough bullet choices to get the job done, but nowhere near the amount of options it's smaller necked brother has.

I generally see the RC versions of these guns selling in the 300$ range with the SC and A models demanding a slight premium. The A's are the rarest of the bunch, although the SC is my personal favorite, not that it matters to anyone other than me.

Anyways, if the price is right you ought to pick it up along with a set of dies, might be a fun way to fill some doe tags or shoot a bear on a bait.
    Thanks for the info. I never really paid much attention to the old 32, I heard mention of it a few times when I was a kid, but with everything it seems everybody moved on to bigger and better things. I may need to make a trip back over there and take a closer look.

There was a young guy that used to frequent this forum that killed everything with a 32 Special. He made a post about an upcoming moose hunt in which he was going to use his 32 Vinchester. I offered to give him a 700 ADL in 30-06 and he refused. He wasn't into taking handouts and since he was a hunter first and a rifleman second he was going to rely on his woodsmanship to get him position to get the job done with his beloved 32. He even made mention of shooting a Brownie with it if need be. I can't remember his handle....something like akfishgame or therebouts. I kinda took a shine to that youngster and his fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    There was a young guy that used to frequent this forum that killed everything with a 32 Special. He made a post about an upcoming moose hunt in which he was going to use his 32 Vinchester. I offered to give him a 700 ADL in 30-06 and he refused. He wasn't into taking handouts and since he was a hunter first and a rifleman second he was going to rely on his woodsmanship to get him position to get the job done with his beloved 32. He even made mention of shooting a Brownie with it if need be. I can't remember his handle....something like akfishgame or therebouts. I kinda took a shine to that youngster and his fortitude.
    A while back, between episodes of Dora and Spongebob, I caught the tail end of one of the Hunting shows on the outdoor channel where a guy was going to kill all species of North American big game with his 30-30 and Corbon ammo. The episode I seen, he killed a big Yukon moose. Unfortunately, that was the only episode I seen.

There was a young guy that used to frequent this forum that killed everything with a 32 Special. ....something like akfishgame or therebouts. I kinda took a shine to that youngster and his fortitude.
    Think your talking about Furfishgame...think he's still around from time to time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Think your talking about Furfishgame...think he's still around from time to time.
    Yup, he got himself a Mosin last Christmas and been working the kinks out of that last I heard. Very good hard workin respectful young man, likley too busy with summer work now to be on here much.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Yes, thats him!

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup, he got himself a Mosin last Christmas and been working the kinks out of that last I heard. Very good hard workin respectful young man, likley too busy with summer work now to be on here much.
    It's good to know that there are still a few young ens like that out there. It says something for his up bringing too!

It's good to know that there are still a few young ens like that out there. It says something for his up bringing too!
    Yup it do! Good young hands are still out there, not very many though and that sure makes them stand out when ya see one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I like the old .32. Mine use to reside in Kellogg a long time ago. Bullets, 170 gr., are still available from Speer and Hor. RCBS still makes a lead bullet mold for it, I haven't tried lead bullets in mine, but have the mold, etc. I bought brass from Rem & Win. I still see brass from Win. for sale from time to time.

An old friend of my dad had a Marlin carbine with a half magazine in caliber 32 HPS (?) I have an ammo box he gave me with a couple rounds in it. It was I believe a model '93. I have since then learned that the 1893, became the '93, then the 36 then the 336, with changes along the way. I have a 1906 model 1893 in 38-55. I once owned a Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special. I loaded cast bullets in it with great results. Don't recall when or why I traded it off but just one of those whims. I would be very interested in a Marlin in 32 Spcl. I've been looking for a 93 but would consider the right 36/336 carbine. I believe the 32 spcl is a 20 century arm, to replace Winchesters b;ack powder, lead bullet 32-40. Sort of a hybrid between the modern 30-30 and the BP 32-40.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I bet one of those old 32 Special's would work good for shooting black bears outta trees.
    Do we shoot bears out of trees??
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    NOPE ! The proper way is to grin'em down .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

We shoot bears from where ever we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Only if theres a pack of mountain hardened hounds underneath, they do there part and they deserve to see a bear die. Besides when the bears fall from the tree it tenderizes em, didn't yah know?

Bigswede,

How did this go. Did you buy one of these? Is there still one available?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast