Thread: Delta Clear Water

Default Delta Clear Water

Planning on taking my girl down there to teach her how to fly fish. Planning on targeting grayling, but are there any other species in the water this time of year? I know kings are hitting the Salcha and Chena, but do they push up into Delta? Just want to make sure I have all the right tackle for any fish we may run into...

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Predator View Post
    Planning on taking my girl down there to teach her how to fly fish. Planning on targeting grayling, but are there any other species in the water this time of year? I know kings are hitting the Salcha and Chena, but do they push up into Delta? Just want to make sure I have all the right tackle for any fish we may run into...
    Hey Ak Predator. I am no expert, but I am a Dad and I have fished the Delta Clearwater. I wouldn't recommend this particular river for LEARNING how to fly fish. It is a fantastic river. And there are some monster grayling in there, but it is kind of a hard place for a kid to bank fish. And unless you got a boat, you will have a hard time teaching her. Not only that, but it is hard to teach a kid how to fly fish out of a boat. My suggestion would be to take her to the Tangle Lakes along the Denali Highway. That is a perfect place in my opinion to teach a kid to fly fish. Because the river between the two lakes is very shallow and safe, and the river corridor is wide enough that she can cast and not get tangled up in the bushes. That's my two cents. Others on here like Rock Skipper, Jedi Master Salmon Slayer, AK Nook, and BigCox fish fish there a lot, so they may have some better advice for you. Good luck. Post some pics when she catches her first fish. Oh, and to the best of my knowledge all there is in the Delta Clearwater right now is grayling and whitefish. In late September, early October, Silver Salmon run up it.

Hey Jack, I really appreciate the advice! I think I should've been a little more specific. When I said my girl, I meant my wife. Ha! We've spent a few evenings out in the yard doing some practice casting, etc. so she's got it down somewhat. I do have a boat and know the river pretty well and have a few spots I know we can fish to get her some action. I just wasn't too sure if there were any other species out there to fish for. We're heading to Talkeetna in a few weeks and want to get her some practice prior to that trip. But again, thanks for the reply and advice. I appreciate it!

Determined people in waders can fish that river well enough, but just respect that current. The water has a knack for being deeper than it looks and the sandy parts can wash right out from under you when the flow hits it just right. If you fish a nymph deep enough you can probably get some whitefish there, and there is a good hatch of big mays and caddises.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    Determined people in waders can fish that river well enough, but just respect that current. The water has a knack for being deeper than it looks and the sandy parts can wash right out from under you when the flow hits it just right. If you fish a nymph deep enough you can probably get some whitefish there, and there is a good hatch of big mays and caddises.
    What he said^^^^^^ Great advice
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com