Thread: Updates on my 22 ft. model

Default Updates on my 22 ft. model

I apologize folks for the lack of updates. Hope I kept up with the Pm's and Emails.

The finished dimensions of this all new 22 ft. model is 22 ft. 8 in. long X 60 in. wide at the center. It Gradually tapers to a 36 in. transom. The flat planing surface is 30 in. at the stern. She won't dig in deep at the stern.

I tested some gel coats and epoxy paints with 80 grit on a belt sander. The epoxy paint I've chosen is over double the abrasion resistance, while being half as thick as polyester based gel coat. I decided to go with 3-4 coats of this nice epoxy paint due to it's abrasion resistance. The epoxy paint has also been formulated to be very slippery. It seems to get surface scratches when tested with granite rocks, as opposed to deep gouges with the gelcoat.

The start up costs have been a major ouchy for me, but all is well!

The name of the 18 ft. model will be the "Taiga Creek" The name of the 22 ft. 8 in. model may very well end up being the "Alaskan Freighter".

I've drawn up plans for a smaller duck hunting/moose hunting canoe called the Muskrat. This canoe will come standard with a special heavy duty canoe carrier that will handle the weight of the boat and the motor. It will be designed for rapid employment to get up shallows, down trails, and also configured for hauling the canoe with an ATV. This model will be of special interest for guys with large airboats and jet boats, so that it can be brought with for the sloughs, beaver ponds, and tiny creeks. It will be made of a slightly lighter material, and an epoxy that is even more flexible than the formulation I've chosen for the larger canoes. The dimensions will be designed exclusively for the 6.5 copperhead. It will come in olive drab only, with olive drab mountaineering webbing on the white ash seats. The white ash on this model will be stained darker because of weary ducks.

Another accessory is an an adjustable grab bar made entirely out of aluminum with stainless steel bolts. It is designed to rotate down, and store flush, just under the inwale on the right side. It rotates forward in the stored position. It has a triangulated lower handle that runs at 45 degrees. This handle allows you to hang on, and still leverage the motor while squatting during turbulent white water. My experience in our unique Alaskan environment goes into the design, works out good that way. I call it: the "Sourdough Squatter" haha.....get it? (man, that joke was a bust)

Can't wait to see the pics of the AK freighter !!! What's the Diff between a triple keel vs a flat bottom ??

Didn't really post for comparisons and contrasts to other models, just simply posted as an update. Still pm'd yah though.

Sounds very interesting!! I have some shots of my grab bar if you want some ideas.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Thanks, but she's left the drawing board about a month ago. The Lousiana boys convince me of the benefits of a simple L-handle for getting up n down the boat. I made mine a triangular because of white water! Ok back to work, later folks.

Thumbs up

Hey Mainer!

Sittin' down 4 1 MIN. to an IPA after lots of work to the CATs S/B Rafts IKs and IC2s... busy day to say the least!!! However SUN SUN SUN!!! YES!!!

Sounds good on the workmanship and progression and sorry have not had time to come over 4 a look-C.

Had a ??? 4 ya on a discontinued model Mad-River freighter FURya

Best wishes on the project and a cold MOXY 4 ya (lol) my friend!

Hope you can turn them out like hotcakes on a cold morning.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default That 18 is starting to sound plenty big for a moderate camp/hunt

Definitely like the hull design including the very wide transom. I'm starting to think that with all that new space amidships and rearward, I might very well be more at home in the smaller one instead.

Typical cargo for me would be between 1 and 2.5 people, plus a large base camp with one week's supplies and also an emergency camp to use enroute if weather dictates no travel. I travel heavy and bring a lot, like foldable chairs/tables/crap.

Return trip is lighter but also need to allow for either 2 caribou or 1 moose.

I'm starting to think your 18 footer would do that. What do you think?

So..... is there a chance that the "Taiga Creek" might come with an Eddie Bauer type edition that has even more rock/abrasion/impact resistance? You know me and rocks...

I love the name "Taiga Creek", but what to call the bruiser-version? How about: "Rock Garden Cruiser" ;-)
    Naw... there's probably some liability issues there regarding fitness for a particular use.... Best stick to your name.

that is a BIG canoe , it is a good rig for BIG water, sounds like you have a very good rig there , see yo on the stream

SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    that is a BIG canoe , it is a good rig for BIG water, sounds like you have a very good rig there , see yo on the stream

SID
    He gets thru a whole lotta really skinny stuff too.

Sounds good. Have you done the shaping of the bow on your mold? Good luck.
    RandyS

Yes, the 22 ft. model bow was shaped to almost appear like what my great grandfather and his father would've used around the Rivers and Coastal waters near Red Bank and Eel Ground reservations. It's was a real common bow shape with Mi'kmaq and Maliseet freighter canoes. I have an old book showing freighter canoes used by the Cree and Oji-Cree up in the northern reaches of Ontario and remote locations of Hudson Bay(1940). The bow is a bit different from those canoes. My great grandfather was the chief of the Eel ground Res for many years. I'm headed there this year to scour the historical pictures to find more than what I have. I'd like to find more pictures involving Freighter Canoes from the early 1900's. In the local museums, I'm told there are some pictures of these freighters before the sterns were squared for Outboard motor power.

Great to see you are keeping tradition in your design. That makes them all the more special.

I'm building a bow and arrow set for display in my new house in Idaho and it is very difficult to get pictures and almost no photos of traditional native hunting ware....need more research!!

Keep up the good work!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

*correction on the stern dimensions*:

45 inches wide at center-stern (deflection of water)
    Tumble home to 42 inches at the top of the stern (paddling)
    34" at the 4 in waterline

Recommended motors:
    25 hp yamaha high thrust/short shaft
    18 hp Copperhead.

Kicker Plate:
    2.5 Suzuki or 2.5 yamaha

Mainer are you going to have these for sale soon? Special order thru you or are you going to have them here in Ak for sale. I have been following some of you guys with these big freighter canoes and they do look like a great way to go places. Pm me when you got time. About how much you think these will run $$ Look forward to see photos

I feel another attack of F.A.D. Coming on...... Freighter Acquisition Disorder.. Is it bad to have more than one freighter ????

Default its terminal

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    I feel another attack of F.A.D. Coming on...... Freighter Acquisition Disorder.. Is it bad to have more than one freighter ????
    My doctor says that there is no known cure for F.A.D. other than acquiring another freighter, which does put the symptoms into remission..... for awhile.