Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Power to Start the motor

Default No Power to Start the motor

I have a Mercury Optimax and when trying to start it this morning, I got no power. Everything else works on the dash but there is no beep and nothing happens when I turn to key to start the motor. I have replaced the battery isolator switch as even with it in the "off" position, the power was still on. I did fry one black wire that goes from the battery up to the tac, and have since replaced it. I did notice that even when the key if in the "off" position, the tac and the fuel gage are still on. Normally they would not go on until the key is turned on. I have chased down all the wires and nothing seems burnt out, all the fuses are still good. Any iders??? Please help... thanx... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Did you check the fuses that are on the motor?
    The ones under the cowling.

Sound like you did not wire the isolator sw correctly. Why did the wire to the tac burn up?

Nope, I did not know there were fuses on the motor. I will tho... thanx... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Did you check the fuses that are on the motor?
    The ones under the cowling.

I wired the new isolator exactly as the manufacturer did and I have know ider as to why the tac wired fried. Thats why I created this post... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Sound like you did not wire the isolator sw correctly. Why did the wire to the tac burn up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I wired the new isolator exactly as the manufacturer did and I have know ider as to why the tac wired fried. Thats why I created this post... "fishon"
    do you have the wiring diagram? You might have melted a wire in the wiring harness and it is shorted on to another wire. post more info on your motor.

Have you conducted a resistance/continuity test on the suspect wires?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Have you conducted a resistance/continuity test on the suspect wires?
    that would be my first move as well. try checking the continuity of the ignition as well. if you need some help, e-mail me. if it rains, ill be in town. two heads are better than one.

Bob if your looking at the motor on the left side there is a main fuse and I was told when I got me boat if it blows your boat is dead in the water it is a large fuse
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Bob, I don't know if you have your power to the switch figured out yet, but ALL guages should be wired to you switch and only have juice with the key in the on position. Did you check that your kill switch is not off? If it is on, check that you have juice at the switch with the key on. If you do have juice, check that you have juice at the starter.

Default Wheres your Dealer when you need him?

I have a Mercury Optimax and when trying to start it this morning, I got no power. Everything else works on the dash but there is no beep and nothing happens when I turn to key to start the motor. I have replaced the battery isolator switch as even with it in the "off" position, the power was still on. I did fry one black wire that goes from the battery up to the tac, and have since replaced it. I did notice that even when the key if in the "off" position, the tac and the fuel gage are still on. Normally they would not go on until the key is turned on. I have chased down all the wires and nothing seems burnt out, all the fuses are still good. Any iders??? Please help... thanx... "fishon"
    After spending all that money on a new boat, I would sure expect your dealer to be standing behind you and help get you going. Sorry you are having issues.

Pull the ignition switch and inspect it at the rear/connector end, a poor connection over time developes resistance, which creates heat, which leads to melting plastic and an ensuing mess/short/problem.

Bob, you had a worn kill switch clip that wasn't disconnecting the switch last time at the shop. Did you by-pass it or replace it? Check all of your ground wires as well. Poor grounds can cause issues.

Well, off to the shop (Marita) it goes. I can't figure it out and I need a Warrantee Mechanic to fix it. It worked fine on a Sunday then crapped out on a Friday. I hope they can fix it quick. Missin out on them silvers darnit... hopefuylly their service is a good as there slow cooked pork... ha, ha, ha.... "fishon"

Bob if you haven't dropped if off yet. Come by the house. I forgot that Christina text me told me and I forgot about you been busy with work. Shouldn't be to hard. We're going to 20 mile on Sunday.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I was wiring power to some add-on's. It turned out to be a fuse I had blown in the engine harness. When you say "All the fuses are good". Are these the ones you are checking?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, got a call from Marita today. They say my engine somehow filled up with water and rusted up tight enough to not start (it only sat for 8 days after flushing it). Appears that on these fiver-star motors, when flushing with the hose, the engine MUST BE RUNNING BEFORE the water is turned on. Otherwise, the engine will fillup with water. So I guess its a two-person job to flush these Optimaxs. Watchya think about that???... "fishon"

Thats plain crappy. Are they going to warranty it?
    BK

I find that hard to believe. What does the manual say about flushing? How do you flush it? Muffs? The attachment where you don't have to start the motor? I know that when using muffs (for stern drives, at least), I've heard that you shouldn't have the water pressure too high or you might end up with water in the engine. Seems like if you start the engine before turning on the water you run the risk of burning up the impeller.

No muffs on a jet,
    Isn't there a flushing port on the back of the engine? I know my Suzuki had one on the port side, but you were not supposed to run the engine while it was flushing as it did not supply water to the pump in the lower unit
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast