Thread: where to hunt...without tresspassing

Default where to hunt...without tresspassing

I realise that there is a LOT of public lands a person can hunt on in Alaska. However my question is....

Do people post there private land "No hunting/tresspassing"? Or are most people pretty understanding and allow others who may have "Drifted off course" to hunt there lands?

In the lower 48 there is a lotof no tresspassing/hunting signs all over. People get real bent out of shape down here. How is it in Alaska?

Most areas that people hunt in do not have private property in or around them with the exception of native land, which is well marked a lot of the time and they are not understanding of you hunting on it accidentally. The other exception is mining claims, trapping cabins etc. When you run across those in the middle of nowhere leave them alone unless you are in an emergency situation and then most people are very understanding.

In the south-central area there is a lot of private property. A lot of those property owning folks would be upset with tresspassers for any reason. Much is not posted. In AK you are supposed to know where you are whether signs are present or not.

Thanx, appreciate it.

A few things you can do to avoid this. First is hunt on well known public land, such as a national preserve. Make sure hunting is allowed though and know where the park is. A second is to check the annual hunting publications well. The native groups will often publish their land holdings and restrictions. Finally, research the are you plan to hunt well. Check with the state and feds, ask them for information on land holders.

Many rural property owners are experiencing economic hard times, and with the escalation cost of ammo, Do NOT expect a warning shot for trespassing. Thank you for being understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Many rural property owners are experiencing economic hard times, and with the escalation cost of ammo, Do NOT expect a warning shot for trespassing. Thank you for being understanding.
    I hope I never stumble across your driveway....unless invited of course!

Hunting up here, you better know where there is private property, I've been confronted on a few trips when looking for land for sale. Get a GPS and be familiar with the area you will be in.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I use my GPS loaded with the Plat maps, I always know who owns the land I hunt on. Best 100 bucks I have spent. Can be purchased from Sportsman or online.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

An advantage of hunting in Alaska is we have sections of defined 'public land' that is bigger than some states. It's not difficult to plan out where you're going and be sure that you're on state land. Also, the reg book has quite a bit of info on the various restricted zones which is often where privately owned land will be. Also, I believe privately owned land that is not marked, defined or posted is ok to hunt on. There was a thread on that a while back. Basically, the owner could go after you legally, but the law enforcement wont because you didn't intentionally trespass.

Nutshell: Not hard to find huge public hunting areas up here. As long as you're not hunting close to a village or small city. Even then, it is often legal, but you have to know boundaries then.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

OK, all cleared up to my satisfaction. Appreciate all the great info folks. Bottom line i should on MY land, or make dang good and sure i am on public land where it is LEGAL to hunt.

Legally in AK notification is required for it to be trespassing. For signage to qualify as notification it must be at least 144 square inches and contain the restrictions and the contact info for the owner or their trusted agent. If you are told by the owner that you are not allowed on the property you must leave immediately and returning would be trespass regardless of signage. I also use the Alaska plat map software for my GPS and make every attempt to avoid private properties regardless of signage. It is unfortunately common for people to post no trespassing signs (generally with no contact info) on public lands so prior to the GPS software I was pretty suspect of any no trespassing signs that didn't meet the legal requirement for contact info.

Anyone have a link or brand name for the plat map software for GPS?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Anyone have a link or brand name for the plat map software for GPS?
    Here is one of the companies. There are more out there and some are free if I remember correctly. If you do a search in the backpacking forum on www.24hourcampfire.com you will find some good threads on this very subject with multiple links.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

The hunting gps map guys also have an overlay for google earth that I use a great deal. My google earth is so pimped with overlays now that I can zoom into any area and toggle between 2 different satellite images, switch it to Topo map, or overlay the plat info. Very powerful for planning but in the end still a far cry from actually putting boots on the ground.

Alot of native land has these overlays as well, I have Ahtna Lands overlay on my Google Earth JIC.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If you are hunting in the Mat/Su Borough, you can use this interactive map to check land status:

http://maps.matsugov.us/geology/viewer.htm

It has helped me quite a bit to find out how to avoid upsetting the locals when getting to my favorite hunting area that is less than 90 minutes from home. I also learned that some of the no trespassing signs in the area are not exactly on private land. Guess some of the locals are trying to keep people off the public lands for one reason or another.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....