Thread: First Trip To Alaska!

Default First Trip To Alaska!

I am making my first trip to Alaska, particularly to the Petersburg/Castle River area. Will be arriving late August through early September. I will be bringing my fly rod as well as my baitcaster. I am trying to gain advice on fishing Alaska rivers with a baitcaster. I will be traveling with a very experienced fly fishing guide but as far as using my baitcaster I’m on my own. Any websites or advice you could send my way (rod sizes,lures,line weight, technique) along with “Must Reads” would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Eagle River/ Juneau

You basically fish the baitcaster and the fly rod the exact same way. Unless you are fishing bait in a big huge river then you cast and let it sit on the bottom however bait doesn't open untill sept. 15

you can bobber fish with a jig but a flyrod is better for that because you can mend the line better, you can cast and retrieve spinners or spoons but a fly rod with the right line is better for that because you can get the fly down more. You can flip and rip. Really the only reason to fish with the baitcaster is if you want to cover a ton of water like in a lake ocean or huge river.

I find fly rods to be much more effective in 90% of the situations I fish and far more enjoyable.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.