Thread: CenterPin Question

Default CenterPin Question

I am from Michigan and centerpin for Steel here quite a bit. Much is made about fishing Beads and obtaining a good drift. We fished the fly fished the Middle Kenai last year for trout with beads / indicators and it made me wonder if anyone up there uses centerpins much in the same way we use them down here but using beads and floats instead of Jigs/flies like we do down here? I am going to be coming up there again in a couple weeks and thought about bringing the centerpin to give it a try. Seems to me it should work great with Beads! I run pretty much the same rig here in Mi as a few have described for flyfishing beads. 10' Fluro with a 16"-2' leader of 6# fluro to jig/fly/spawn, slip float with shot palcement starting at the leader extending up towards the float. We will be spending a couple weeks in Homer so I have some time to mess around with it but must do so from shore it sounds like. Just thinking of ways to extend my drift and try to get into some trout! Figured it was worth asking you guys your opinions. If anyone has a free spot in their boat mid Aug. I'd love the chance to fish whatever and if anyone wants to chase steel in Michigan (west side) I've got a jet sled and all the gear if your ever in the area in winter/spring!!!

Yep, it works just like you are thinking. I got into it a few years back after being brainwashed by Dave (Drifter016). He is a cannuck and knows more about pinning than anyone I know, which isn't saying much being that I live in North Carolina. He will surely chime in when he sees your thread. Likely he is busy with slippery midgets, peanut butter, dog, etc... He is the best person to give you input on fishing beads in Alaska with a centerpin.

Aside from fishing the middle and upper Kenai, you should read up on the Ninilchik, Anchor, and Deep Creek as they are all down near Homer. I have fished the upper Kenai mostly, a few days on the middle, the last three Septembers. Have not fished the rivers near Homer myself, but others here can chime in perhaps. The only steelhead I am aware of in this part of Alaska are found in one or more of those streams, but your trip timing will likely be too early. Late Sept and Oct are better timing from what I have heard for steelhead in the rivers near Homer, but other fishing opportunities exist in August of course.

If you want to catch some steelhead in Alaska, consider spending some time in SE. I have only got one steelhead, but it was the fishing experience of a lifetime (so far). Spent a week hiking up and down a remote stream in the Tongass and finally got one, a 36" beauty.

-Dan

Yep, centerpins work OK in Alaska.

Aw crap man, spill the beans. Been waiting all day to read your dissertation.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Aw crap man, spill the beans. Been waiting all day to read your dissertation.
    Too lazy!!!
    Here's the short version.
    Set up like you are drifting a fly only change to a hook and a bead 2" up the line from the hook and go fishing.

Thanks for the info Guys! Ill be bringing the Pin with me

Well I thought I'd write up a little summary of the Trip. Fished the Kasliof last week and couldnt keep the dollies off a Bead under the float on the Pin! Hit one Silver on a single egg fly on the the Flyrod. Ship Creek pinks were in pretty good and so were the snaggers and inexperienced fishermen giving it a try. Its a great place to people watch, always something funny going on. Pinks were so thick in the lower Kenai that it was rediculas! It didnt matter what you threw out there they were hitting anything. I was the ONLY fly guy there so I felt a little out of place. Hit the Kenai around cooper landing area in search of BOWS but only caught dollies and pinks again. I think I might have been a little early as far as good BOW fishing is concerned but overall it was a GREAT trip yet again! Thanks for all that sent a reply!

Default CenterPin Question

You don't fish beads in Michigan? You are nuts not to.

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    You don't fish beads in Michigan? You are nuts not to.
    It's true. Great Lakes steelhead aren't into it, at least not where I'm from, even with Kings running in the fall! I go back to Duluth area every fall to fish steelhead and visit family. Even after being told by one of my buddies that it wouldn't work, I tried anyways in vain. It didn't work. Glow bugs work why not beads? I don't know. Even painted some with chartreuse blood dots(for some odd reason they like weird **** there), even some chartreuse beads, same colors I would use for glow bugs but on beads, no dice. Now throw a Superior Xleg on, Wham-O!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    It's true. Great Lakes steelhead aren't into it, at least not where I'm from, even with Kings running in the fall! I go back to Duluth area every fall to fish steelhead and visit family. Even after being told by one of my buddies that it wouldn't work, I tried anyways in vain. It didn't work. Glow bugs work why not beads? I don't know. Even painted some with chartreuse blood dots(for some odd reason they like weird **** there), even some chartreuse beads, same colors I would use for glow bugs but on beads, no dice. Now throw a Superior Xleg on, Wham-O!
    Beads have become all the rage on the rivers like the Salmon in NY state.
    It is now pretty much the preferred method of catching steelhead there now.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Beads have become all the rage on the rivers like the Salmon in NY state.
    It is now pretty much the preferred method of catching steelhead there now.
    Really?!?! That's pretty badass! It's not like that around Duluth, Mn. I am going to try again when I'm there the last week of Sept-first week of Oct.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Some of these look GOOOOOD!
    http://glsteelheadco.com/catalog/green-beads/

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Those do look good! I like the Slimer and the Green Machine! Never tried anything real dark though.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Back in the 80's chartreuse was the colour that worked best for GL Ho's.
    I never left the house without a jar of chartreuse Jensen eggs if there were cohos in the river.

Chart beads for ho's in the rivers in Michigan as well. Steelies I caught lots of on small single rubber eggs, Jensens and such. Beads I never fished much in Michigan, but the pink worm, yuppers. Can't wait, heading to the Kenai in 2 weeks for 2 weeks of Bow fishing. Gotta get this new Pin my buddy made broke in