Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Halibut/Ling Charter For August 2012

  1. #1

    Red face Halibut/Ling Charter For August 2012

    The wife and I will be coming to Anchorage and would like to know if anyone would recommend a Charter out of Ninilchik, Homer or close to Anchorage that is still operational in Aug. I've tried a couple and they're finished for the season. I'd really like to double our limit and go overnight but most charters don't go nights. Anyone know anything about Afishunt charters or Kingsruncharters? I don't want to start a range war, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned those two charters but I'm leaning toward those. Any suggestions are warmly appreciated, it's 108 degrees here in Oklahoma City.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Id look to Seward for a combo charter, there are many operators out of there. Homer is quite a drive from Anchorage, but definitely worth a visit. You wont find anything but halibut charters out of Ninilchik that time of year, but it does offer a much shorter ride to the fishing grounds, and often a calmer sea because they cant launch off the beach if the weather is too bad. Enjoy, good luck

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for the reply, I went fishing in Seward a few years back at the Army's Seward Resort and caught some 20 pounders and wand to catch a little larger Halibut this time. It may be that the boat operator had no dog in the fight and couldn't care less what we caught?? Beats me but I may try Seward since it's closer and I can get up early int he AM and be at the dock for check-in and drive back to Anchorage int he evening.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Unfortunately 20 pounders are pretty average size for all three areas, if you are looking for larger fish you should look to do a full day halibut only trip out of either Seward or Homer, you will have a better opportunity to get better than average fish. If you are looking for lings too you will have less time to weed through the chicken halibut, as they are often caught in different areas.

  5. #5

    Default

    Well now I'm in the middle of the road, maybe I will go to Seward-any one charter you'd go for there for an all-day trip? It'd be a lot easier for me driving from Anchorage. We're going to Ft Worth to catch a flight Sunday and should arrive Anchorage around mid-day Sunday. Thanks Swede for your replies.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Crackerjack and Profish n sea are two of the best, chances are they are booked, but their office may be able to point you in the right direction. If you are having diffuculty finding a charter maybe look to Alaska Northern Outfitters, they run a monster boat and may have a few openings. Definitely get on the phone though, good luck.

  7. #7

    Default

    Thank you for all your replies, they are valuable! I'll let you guys know how we did when we finish fishing!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popaJuan View Post
    The wife and I will be coming to Anchorage and would like to know if anyone would recommend a Charter out of Ninilchik, Homer or close to Anchorage that is still operational in Aug. I've tried a couple and they're finished for the season.
    If a charter operator in any of those places (Homer, Ninilchik or Seward) told you they are "finished for the season" in August they must not be very good charters. August is the best time to fish for silvers in either Seward and Homer (not so much Ninilchik) and a great time to fish for halibut, too. Maybe they meant they are "totally booked" during August. I'm getting pretty close to that right now myself.

    And fishinswede is pretty close on the "20 lb. average" thing. If I brought back a limit of 20lb. fish for everyone on the boat I'd be pretty happy as I know many other charter captains would be.

    And on the distance thing, I'd ask the potential charter captain how far out they typically go. I have a couple of spots that I routinely go to that are only about 12 miles or so from port, and my other typical day spots are about 20 to 25 miles out. If you go out of Seward you'll probably end up going at least in the 20 mile plus range and out of Ninilchik you'll probably see about the same thing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  9. #9
    Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Mutley I really find your generalizations tiresome. "If a charter operator in any of those places (Homer, Ninilchik or Seward) told you they are "finished for the season" in August they must not be very good charters." I finished for the season on July 31st to spend some time with my family on the boat in Prince William Sound before they go back to school. If that makes me a "not very good charter" so be it. I have lots of return clients who will argue differently.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#
    338157869

  10. #10
    Member ArmyFishboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    161

    Default

    In my opinion the best charter is out of homer. Muttleycrew is the one. Coho Dave is a awesome guy. He doesn't get you on the boat to get you off it fast. He will get you on fish and all day and biggins too. And you can't beat his first mate. His first mate is the best first mate in the world. You just can't beat her. Who would of thought a female first mate. She's cute as all hell and you can stare at her all you want and she won't be offended. Then again that's because "Penny" his first mate is a dog. But more serious. The charters amazing and you just can't beat it. I've done about 15 different charters and will never use anyone else again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Mutley I really find your generalizations tiresome. "If a charter operator in any of those places (Homer, Ninilchik or Seward) told you they are "finished for the season" in August they must not be very good charters." I finished for the season on July 31st to spend some time with my family on the boat in Prince William Sound before they go back to school. If that makes me a "not very good charter" so be it. I have lots of return clients who will argue differently.
    LOL! What other "generalizations" have I made that are so absolutely "tiresome" to you? Please elaborate, because what you just did was make a really tiresome generalization yourself.

    So you are the exception to the rule. Big deal. What a gross injustice I've made by NOT qualifying my statement for people that stop chartering to spend time with their family. For all of you I'd like to issue a very sincere apology. But, the vast majority of charter operators are solidly booked for all of Aug. (like myself) and stay that way because they need the income that they won't be getting in a month or so, so you are certainly the exception and more power to you. But you don't have to take it quite so personally.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFishboy View Post
    In my opinion the best charter is out of homer. Muttleycrew is the one. Coho Dave is a awesome guy. He doesn't get you on the boat to get you off it fast. He will get you on fish and all day and biggins too. And you can't beat his first mate. His first mate is the best first mate in the world. You just can't beat her. Who would of thought a female first mate. She's cute as all hell and you can stare at her all you want and she won't be offended. Then again that's because "Penny" his first mate is a dog. But more serious. The charters amazing and you just can't beat it. I've done about 15 different charters and will never use anyone else again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'll never find words like yours "tiresome", though Penny gets a "swollen head" from praise like that, so I'm not going to let her read this.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  13. #13
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popaJuan View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I went fishing in Seward a few years back at the Army's Seward Resort and caught some 20 pounders and wand to catch a little larger Halibut this time. It may be that the boat operator had no dog in the fight and couldn't care less what we caught?? Beats me but I may try Seward since it's closer and I can get up early int he AM and be at the dock for check-in and drive back to Anchorage int he evening.
    If you are looking for a better average than 20lbs, there are certain charters to avoid, some charters target fish that small.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  14. #14
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFishboy View Post
    In my opinion the best charter is out of homer. Muttleycrew is the one. Coho Dave is a awesome guy. He doesn't get you on the boat to get you off it fast. He will get you on fish and all day and biggins too. And you can't beat his first mate. His first mate is the best first mate in the world. You just can't beat her. Who would of thought a female first mate. She's cute as all hell and you can stare at her all you want and she won't be offended. Then again that's because "Penny" his first mate is a dog. But more serious. The charters amazing and you just can't beat it. I've done about 15 different charters and will never use anyone.

    Agreed. See you on the 19th, Dave! I believe this will be my 4th trip with Dave and I wouldn't fish with anyone else. It's nice to feel like you're fishing with a buddy, not someone who's trying to get you your fish and then get you the hell off his boat!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Agreed. See you on the 19th, Dave! I believe this will be my 4th trip with Dave and I wouldn't fish with anyone else. It's nice to feel like you're fishing with a buddy, not someone who's trying to get you your fish and then get you the hell off his boat!
    Looking forward to it, too! It's always nice to fish with clients that you'd feel like being buddies with!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  16. #16
    Member ArmyFishboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Agree 100% ducksanddogs


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

  17. #17

    Default

    Seward Fish Co. Capt Randy Wells on the Rogue! Awesome boat, big 6 packer so he doesnt have to do the factory line sport fishing, and he books for a lot of other great charter boats in Seward as well. Seward is awesome to do Combos this time of year. Now for fish size I personally dont think theres a difference between the areas but there is definitely a difference in charter boat operations for sure.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •