Thread: What's in your chum bag?

Default What's in your chum bag?

Let's hear some different methods and tactics for chumming. My boss says he drops a bag of fish meal and herring oil down 50 ft on down rigger while fishing butts. Says he can't keep the fish away. Also wondering prices and best places to buy chum supplies.

I've heard of this tactic. Didn't realize you didn't need to get the downrigger ball/bait bag all the way down. Nice to know.

As far as bait, keep your head, bones, gut scraps in garbage bags in your freezer from other fish you catch. Here in Juneau we're allowed to legally use the entire hatchery fish as bait, including the meat itself, so it's easy to get chum. If you don't have any fish scraps of your own available, just hang out at a major dock/cleaning station in your area and just ask fisherman for the scrap parts as they're cleaning their fish.

Disclaimer. Only seen this done on another man's boat. We caught fish all day, even during slack tide so there must be some merit to it.

Box of Tampons (minus box, applicator and wrapper obviously) soaked in herring oil in a chum box 15 feet above anchor. Super absorbent and re-usable if on a multi-day trip...

Question is are you man enough to go buy a box of them?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Maybe I've been on the Internet too long, but when I first read tampons, I was expecting the worst. Then I saw soaked in... herring oil. Whew.

We just use chopped herring- bag clipped to anchor chain. Unsnap it and drop it in a 5-gallon bucket any time we move. At the end of the day we transfer it to our dungie pots for double use.

Your letting out my secret!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Don't you guys think that the water pressure on the box of tampons forces all the oil out as the box sinks ??? Like wringing out a sponge? Just think of the pressure on your legs when wading and multiply it hundreds of times in deep water.

By the way i build chum pots if anyone is interested. 6"x6"x18" w/1/2" x 1/2" mesh
    chum pot.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder what is the price on your chum pot and how do you use them? Are they just attached to the anchor and sent down or is there a specific way that your pot has to be used? Right now i use the chum bag method, but they dont last long. For bait in the chum bag, we ussually try to throw whatever fish scraps we have in there along with some "shank bait"(might be spelling that wrong) from B&J's and some herring if we have some left over from prevouse trips.

I always use a pillow case. They are cheap and the mesh is not too big to allow too much scent to disperse at once.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Potbuilder what is the price on your chum pot and how do you use them? Are they just attached to the anchor and sent down or is there a specific way that your pot has to be used? Right now i use the chum bag method, but they dont last long. For bait in the chum bag, we ussually try to throw whatever fish scraps we have in there along with some "shank bait"(might be spelling that wrong) from B&J's and some herring if we have some left over from prevouse trips.
    They can be attached to where your chain meets your anchor line or dropped off the stern on a line or anyway you'd like to fish them, $25.00 each.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

yoda - If you have a spare 'butt rod, fill up a mesh bag with chopped-up scrap fish, herring, and a good dose of whatever scent you may be using. Drop the bag off the bow of the boat with enough weight to keep the bag on the bottom. The scent plume will move down-tide and bring in some action. If the tide switches, reel the bag up so it doesn't get tangled with your anchor tackle - when it begins to run the other direction drop it back to the bottom. Pretty simple but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Let's hear some different methods and tactics for chumming. My boss says he drops a bag of fish meal and herring oil down 50 ft on down rigger while fishing butts. Says he can't keep the fish away. Also wondering prices and best places to buy chum supplies.
    That's a weird one. Maybe if he's fishing in 50ft. of water. If you put a chum bag at 50 ft. and fish at 250 ft. I would have to imagine there isn't much scent being dispersed that will even get to where the halibut are that you are interested in catching. Upper ocean currents pretty much are going to differ vastly from what's going on down at the bottom.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

paint strainer bag filled with hooligan, hering and salmon.

As posted the last time this thread came up:

What I used to do was grind salmon eggs, herring, salmon (after filleting), ect thru a course grinder- then inserting that into 4 oz juice bottles (ones that have same lid as soda pop. Then freeze them. meanwhile, save up a few extra lids and drill a hole in the center and place a small eye bolt with washers in them. Keeps thing nice and clean, and you throw away the used ones in the trash at the dock. Put the unused, uncut ones back in the freezer. save the eye bolt lids for multiple use later.

When you get to where you want to fish: cut slots, holes, chunks, whatever out of a bait jar; screw on a eye bolt lid; attach on to your fishing line above the bait.

Had one "something" grab hold of the bait jar onct, and was a very short fight (no hook). when got it up jar was completly smashed flat with lots of scratches on it. Who knows what tried to feed on it.

Since been fishing with Capt Dennis on the "Otter Dodger" haven't used anything in a while. He has the "local knowledge" to get our fish without using chum. (except for the occasional over-the-side chumming us anglers do from time to time )

Chris

I was on a charter out of Seward last year and they said they stopped using chum bags as they had big halibut eat them. They actually had photos of a 200 lb fish being cleaned and it had a chum bag in its stomach. They were using "chum bomb's" instead. Chopped up herring wrapped in news paper and rubber banded into a tight package. They would then drop it to bottom and set the hook exploding the bag and releasing about 1-2 lbs of chopped up herring. Seemed to make the fish attack or bait.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I was on a charter out of Seward last year and they said they stopped using chum bags as they had big halibut eat them. They actually had photos of a 200 lb fish being cleaned and it had a chum bag in its stomach. They were using "chum bomb's" instead. Chopped up herring wrapped in news paper and rubber banded into a tight package. They would then drop it to bottom and set the hook exploding the bag and releasing about 1-2 lbs of chopped up herring. Seemed to make the fish attack or bait.
    This is my preferred method. It helps a lot if you visit the cleaning tables the night before heading out. Grab a few salmon carcasses. Then chop them up along with some herring and/or hooligan prior to heading out. Get a bulk sized thing of herring oil or your favorite halibut scent and stir some of that in, too. I try to basically fill a 5-gallon bucket with chum that's ready to go because it kind of sucks to try to hurry up and chop up a few gallons of chum while in rough seas and once you are sitting where you want to fish.

I might have posted this before but here it is. I save all my icefishing scraps, old herring, old cured salmon eggs, and a bunch of hooligan. I use an old cheap grinder and grind it to a paste and fill a gallon ziploc and freeze it. When its time for fishing I let it thaw just enough to loosen the bag and put the frozen chunk in a crab bait bag. It releases little parts and peices for a good 5-6 hours. I use a downrigger to put it about a foot off bottom. Some days I get monster hits on the bag! The bag comes off before it goes down.