Thread: Is there a no guide day on the kenai?

Default Is there a no guide day on the kenai?

Just curious if there's a day of the week or any restrictions on when guides can be on the water on the upper kenai. Seemed lik 80% of the boats yesterday were guides and there were a ton of them.

Try Dec. and Jan.

No motor Monday you'll find less guides on the river, though not all of them abide by the rules of not fishing from a motorized boat.

Seen several drifting and fishing from a motorized boat.

And aren't they supposed to be done by 6pm?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

More humans in Alaska will solve this problem. No worries. How odd that this was NOT a problem 45 years ago.

Now that this topic is already sidetracked...As far as the UPPER kenai goes, there would have been very few boats on the river had it not been for the large number of guide boats. I was just curious if there was a day of the week that I might be able to go float and not have to compete with them. Simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Now that this topic is already sidetracked...As far as the UPPER kenai goes, there would have been very few boats on the river had it not been for the large number of guide boats. I was just curious if there was a day of the week that I might be able to go float and not have to compete with them. Simple question.
    Actually part of your question was answered.

If I was to run the Kenai again and have minimal interaction, I'd float the middle from Skilak down.

It was a ghost town this week minus the locals chasin sockeye and a few drifters.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I don't believe there are any non-guide days on the upper. With no king fishing they are pushing clients into different fisheries than normal this year. I'm sure that's part of the "crowding" problem up there.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."