Thread: Moose meat for a Southern Boy??

Default Moose meat for a Southern Boy??

So, I have been wanting to try moose for some time now..apparently due to some kind of laws there is no way to buy any..anywhere. Hunting trips to Alaska are way too expensive for me, although I would love to be there.
    So, can anyone tell me a way I can get my hands on a little moose to try it? Maybe someone wants to work some sorta trade? I am not sure what I can provide that you cannot get there, but I am open to suggestions. I cannot box up any warmth to send to you, but anything else I could attempt.

If this whole idea is unethical or against any laws, let me know..I don't want anyone to do anything that could get them in trouble.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah, Can't trade or barter. If you get more post to your name you'll be able to receive pm's. Maybe someone will spend you a sample.
    It's my second Favorite next to sheep meat.

WannaB,

Have you thought of trying a swap hunt ?

You got Access to whitetails and Hogs?

You know a DYI hunt with the right contacts will put meat in both parties freezers.

just a thought.

Chris

Yeah you can't buy it but you can swap stuff for it or even convince some good-natured folks to just give you some. The trouble is getting it down there, I assume it's expensive to ship someone some frozen meat? Moose is ok I guess, not my favorite game but I hope you get a chance to try it. I I have always wondered how we've come to have deer farms, elk farms, buffalo farms and even reindeer farms but never moose farms.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    but you can swap stuff for it
    Nope, not legal. See post #2.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'd be happy to send you a sample - but unfortunately it's been a while since I've taken a moose. Sheep, caribou, and goat are the priority this fall, but if I happen to stumble across a legal moose and take one, I'll dig up this thread and send you a small package. Nothing is expected or will be accepted in return - like the above message notes, such an arrangement isn't legal.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This is interesting. Not that I don't believe you guys but can anyone show me a reg where bartering of meat is not legal? On page 17 it stipulates no buying or selling of meat but bartering isn't addressed within that sentence, whereas it is addressed several times on the page for other reasons... bear gall bladder, unit 23 bou skulls, etc.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

Same goes for subsistence regs, bartering isn't addressed.

http://alaska.fws.gov/asm/pdf/wildregs12/genprov.pdf
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

If you're coming through the midwest, I have over 100lbs left from last years moose. Roasts, steaks, loins, burger and summer sausage.
    Not sure how to ship it with dry ice, overnight but think it would be pricey. Of course, not as much as the cost of gas to drive this way and then back again.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    This is interesting. Not that I don't believe you guys but can anyone show me a reg where bartering of meat is not legal? On page 17 it stipulates no buying or selling of meat but bartering isn't addressed within that sentence, whereas it is addressed several times on the page for other reasons... bear gall bladder, unit 23 bou skulls, etc.
    There was a BOG proposal to remove the bartering restriction, I believe. Perhaps it passed and is in play now.

Addendum: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...statute-change
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by norsehunter View Post
    If you're coming through the midwest, I have over 100lbs left from last years moose. Roasts, steaks, loins, burger and summer sausage.
    Not sure how to ship it with dry ice, overnight but think it would be pricey. Of course, not as much as the cost of gas to drive this way and then back again.

Yeah, I am not sure how they ship meat either. I assume vacuum packed and over-nighted. I will not be in the midwest anytime soon, but I appreciate the offer.

Small box we use for fish, I'm sure UPS would have one. Freeze it, put it in the box and ship overnight. From Midwest to SC would not be anywhere near the expense shipping it from here would be. My brother wanted me to send him some halibut, I told him to get his butt up here and fish for it himself, it would be cheaper. A friend shipped some USPS overnight and was happy. I helped ship some to a buddy and it took 5 days to get from Anchorage to Sioux Falls.

I shipped 50 lbs of miscellaneous Alaskan game to Michigan overnight USPS. $230 and 22 hours later and my mother was on her front porch, jumping for joy!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I've shipped 100 lbs. of elk from Wyoming to south Florida via UPS ground in an Igloo cooler. Froze the meat and added about 10 lbs. of dry ice. It was still rock hard when it arrived 5 days later. That was in December, so the temp in the trucks was obviously cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBfromSC View Post
    Yeah, I am not sure how they ship meat either. I assume vacuum packed and over-nighted. I will not be in the midwest anytime soon, but I appreciate the offer.
    PM me your adress, not a P.O. box either. UPS won't ship to a P.O. box.

I cannot PM, I assume because I am so new to the forum. If you send an email to me I will return info. send to losbright1 AT Gee Mail. If we can work something out I will be glad to take care of shipping costs, etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'm sure that's a rule that's followed as closely as coming to a full stop for a stop sign. I once traded some propane for fresh fish with some Natives along the Mackenzie, but that was over in Canada. I assumed it would be the same here.

I send fresh sea scallops from NJ to Montana often, It's around 55$ for 5 pounds of meat plus a ice pack and box, so if someone from the midwest were to send you some that's probably what your looking at. That's using UPS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just shipped 24 pounds of reds 3 days ago from Soldotna to Arkansas for $137+Gel Packs+fish box.

I drove down to Charleston with moose in my RV freezer in April before returning to Alaska. Too bad you didn't post this earlier as I'd have given you a roast on the way past.

I priced 10lbs, next day air with UPS at $115. 3 day ground alot less. That's 5lbs meat, 2lbs dry ice and about 3lbs for packaging.