Thread: NICS Background Check "Delay" Question

Default NICS Background Check "Delay" Question

First of all my Firearm Dealer has an in store policy to NOT sell the firearm to an
    Individual that gets a "Delay" on their 4473 form background check after 3 business days have passed, (which is the retailers option). My question to all of you is, has anyone gotten a "delay" of more than a week, then went to another gun retailer and got another "delay" but then after 1 or 2 days gotten a "proceed" even though you may have a long "delay" at the first retailer? Or, have even gotten a "proceed" while being "delayed" at the first retailer? Thanks

I want to see if it was possible to get a "delay" at one retailer and then get a "proceed" at a second retailer at the SAME TIME.

Yes, it can happen, but it is not supposed to happen. When you get the first screener and it goes to an actual investigater for approval, that second person will sometimes have to make a judgement call. An example is if you are a disabled Vet, and get moved on to a second person for a delay, then the shop calls back 10 minutes later and gets a different investigator- they will generally get a proceed.
    Each shop has their own policy, mine is to call every three hours or so and check if I know the person is acting in good faith. Then if no proceed, call as I open up the next day- and continue to call. We take the buyer's phone number so we can give them a call when they get that proceed.

The next thing you need to do if you get a "Delay" or a "Denial" is get a form from the dealer with that NICS transaction number, and go on-line or mail in the form to find out why the delay / denial. It could be something simple like you are a disabled vet, or your name is real common (and you should have provided more identifiers), to finding out you wrote a bad check in the past (that happened to a good customer of ours), or maybe they think you're a felon. I would want to know why if it was me. {and it is as a "Disabled Vet"}

Note: If you do the on line form they give you an answer as soon as they verify your ID, usually within three days.

hope this helps,
    Chris

and yes, I am a Dealer

also any delay is only a maximum of three days by law.

Chris

I've had 2 prior firearms delayed before and then the dealer has always called me back the 2nd day with a proceed. On this one though it has been 10 days and it is still being delayed. I have no idea. I put my SS# on the 4473 form. And I don't have a criminal record except a fix it ticket 12 years ago. I do have a common first name and a common last name though. I'm just hoping that I'll get a proceed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    I've had 2 prior firearms delayed before and then the dealer has always called me back the 2nd day with a proceed. On this one though it has been 10 days and it is still being delayed. I have no idea. I put my SS# on the 4473 form. And I don't have a criminal record except a fix it ticket 12 years ago. I do have a common first name and a common last name though. I'm just hoping that I'll get a proceed soon.
    You need to have a read through the threads. It has been more than 3 days, you will not get a proceed as BATF/NICS are now ignoring this application. You need to re-apply or shop elsewhere.

Anyone who has been fingerprinted for a security clearance, job, or whatever has a "@" looking thing next to their name on the computer. Some of the less intelligent and less energetic screeners will see that and automatically assume some sort of arrest.

I have had that happen to me twice... Both times while I was still active Law Enforcement. So the calling party had to say " Look again please, his prints are on file because he is a cop and a military reservist. " This was followed by, " Oh that explains it, go ahead and proceed"
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Anyone who has been fingerprinted for a security clearance, job, or whatever has a "@" looking thing next to their name on the computer. Some of the less intelligent and less energetic screeners will see that and automatically assume some sort of arrest.

I have had that happen to me twice... Both times while I was still active Law Enforcement. So the calling party had to say " Look again please, his prints are on file because he is a cop and a military reservist. " This was followed by, " Oh that explains it, go ahead and proceed"
    Pretty much everyone who has ever worked for the government, or in law enforcement, has their prints permanently enshrined in NCIC. There's more information compiled on good guys there than on bad guys. That's probably the most intrusive data base of personal information out there, and nobody squeaks about it. Go figure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yeah I did go to another store and re-applied. So I guess it depends on who I get that first screens me, if he knows what he is doing or if he doesn't. I'm just hoping that since I have 2 4473 forms out there, that this one that I did recently will pass.

I can pick it up on Tuesday if NICS doesn't call back with a "Deny".

When I pick it up on Tuesday I'm going to ask for the NTN# and a VAF Card so I can call NICS and they can send me a packet and then I can get my fingerprints done and send it to them. Hopefully they'll approve me and give me a UPIN#. All these **** abbreviations! LOL!

The process time is 117 days. 4 months isn't that bad.

I heard from a friend of a friend ( so rather big grain of salt is needed here) that it is possible to skip background check by issuing notarized affidavit. Allegedly, he went here, printed his history and included it in affidavit. anyone heard something similar?