Thread: Question about Dip netting / Fishing

Default Question about Dip netting / Fishing

So this weekend im going dip netting on the kasilof with my father in law and we will be near the mouth of the river. I want to know if while im dip netting if i can also have a Rod/Reel in the water. I have a surf casting rod so id like to go for say halibut or whatever is out there since ive never surfcasted that area of the ocean before. Appreciate a response Thanks.

I'm not the final word on this, but my guess would be the only part that would be illegal would be not tending your pole. You can't have an "unattended" line out, and if you're busy dipping I'd think that would qualify as unattended. Basically, you can't do both at the same time. If you got tired of dipping and cast your line out for a while, you might be fine.

I would recommend calling the Soldotna office of Alaska Wildlife Troopers and asking them, however. (907) 262-4573

Ah that makes sense appreciate it.

I'm guessing you have never dipnetted down there before. Otherwise you'd know that the area where dipnetting occurs on Kasilof is concentrated with people, dipnets & fish laying onshore, four-wheelers, people dipnetting from boats close to shore, and general mayhem. If you did find an open spot to surf cast nobody would be happy about you doing it there.
    If you're bent on giving surf casting a try there then my recommendation would be to surf cast from the beach side near Cohoe road. I don't imagine it will be productive for halibut but I guess you never know until you try. Go at low tide so you understand where the channel from the river mouth forms. At high tide it looks like a normal beach but there's a good chance you're fishing in 4 feet of water unless you find the channel.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

There was a guy casting a russian river fly in the salt water amonst dipnetters last week at the kenai. I wondered if you could chuck a lead treble hook like they do in seward.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Another thing to keep in mind head of household is allowed to dip net 25 fish. With rod and reel your allowed much less. You may have a hard time explaining to F&G why and how you came to have 20 fish in your cooler while you have a rod in your hands. Id' stick to one or the other.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Easily kept track if you clip fins right away like you're supposed to. But I agree, it would easily confuse the issue if you were doing both. I have dipped, then on the way home stopped and fished. Once in the cooler, there's no way to differentiate catching techniques other than clipped tails.

I couldn't imagine trying to run a rod/reel while dipnetting. You want to be as efficient as possible getting fish out of the net and getting the net back into the water. A rod/reel is just something to get in the way. The best that could happen would be you'd knock it off the boat while dealing with the net. The last thing I want to deal with when dipnetting is extra fish to clean/process, I don't even fish for my limit anymore as it is simply too much work to efficiently and quickly process that many fish. Once you dipnet and get a slug of fish, you'll realize how much work is involved once you get the fish out of the net.

Take dipnetting seriously and take the best possible care of the catch.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

They do catch halibut there regularly. But as has been said both at the same time is asking for headaches.
    You might save the surfcasting for evenings after your all done dipping and cleaning.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Kasilof C has it right. While helping to build the fence for habitat protection, there were many people surf casting for butts. South side, north beach. Good luck and have a great hand at casting
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Well went dip netting and really didn't care for it as it was my first time. Caught a few then just got bored. I've always been the C&R type of fisher and I love to fight fish. So I stuck to surf casting. Caught some butt, a few sharks and a nice flounder.
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs