Thread: I couldn't help it!

Default I couldn't help it!

I have always had a thing for the 358 Winchester. It is the second most underrated cartridge of all time. The first being the 338-06. As far as I know the 338-06 is back to being offered by no one. It made a short comeback a few years ago and I sure wished I had bought a factory rifle or two while I had the chance. I am afraid the 358 is going to see the same fate so I find myself wandering through the auction websites looking for another one to sit next to my model 70 in 358. Looking is all that it has amounted to and for the last month or two I hadn't even done that. I hadn't lost interest but was discourage with what I was finding.Then I read Mainers 358 thread and as a result found myself back at it again. Well it didn't take me long to hit the buy now button when I ran across this deal. Thanks for *****ing my interest Mainer or I mighta missed out on this deal. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=298317017

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:
    If I'm not mistaken, that's a good one to have.

I've heard something to the effect that you can seat the heavy bullets out further in the Ruger.

No-one would ever tell me for sure.

That Mainer sure likes them beeg boolits.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    EKC:
    If I'm not mistaken, that's a good one to have.

I've heard something to the effect that you can seat the heavy bullets out further in the Ruger.

No-one would ever tell me for sure.

That Mainer sure likes them beeg boolits.

Smitty of the North
    I can seat em out perdy far in my Winchester and that's welcomed. I like H4895 and it mostly fills the case.

I'd sure take a look at X-terminator powder and 225 gr Partitions. One load for everything.

Wow, and what a deal that was. Congrats! With all the darn money you saved, make that dandy rifle right, and put some of those NECG open sights on it, check out this front sight......puts a white bead to shame:
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/G...0Front%20Sight

While your in the stockpiling spirit, better think of a 358 in a lever action too. Got a few things to wrap up, and I'm heading out for a month long hunt shooting 275 grain woodleighs, maybe a sheep hunt next year too with the 200 grain Accubonds.

I do like that sight but I'd have to put a peep on the back to go with it. Naw, I think I'll just put a low powered scope on it and find a piece of walnut to put on it. The last one of those cheap plastic stocks I took off got an old broom handle screwed to it in the fashion of a barrel. The grandkids killed more make believe stuff with that thing than any store bought toy gun. They even fought over who got to play with it.

Mainer good luck on your hunt. I'd fear no creature with your set up. I hope ya make lots of memories and take some pictures so we can live those memories a tad bit too.

I have always been impressed with how the 358 shines with 180 grain bullets when compaired to the mighty 06 shooting the same weight fodder. I have a bunch of Hornady 180's and almost as many 250's. I've always had the one load per gun mentality and will shoot the 180's in this gun. I'll save the 250's to play with in a 358 Norma that is my current project.

Drow my thinking would line up with yours on that 225 grain Partition for my 358's if I wasn't doing the big 358. I am primarily using H4895 because I bought 8 lbs of it and it works in the three bolt guns that I shoot the most, my 22-250, 308 and 358( it does shoot well in all three but probably isn't the perfect match for the 358. The big jug is getting low and I'll look into the X-terminator powder for the 358s.. Thanks for the tip.

Good deal indeed. NIB, too, so you pretty much stole it at that price. Those Hawkeye's are nice rifles. Let us know how it shoots.

EKC,

Did you know Elmer disliked gas checks for the 44 magnum? Ok, now that I've thrown out a random fact, be forewarned that anything standard cup/core bullets under 200 grains don't hold together too well on anything larger than a California deer in the 358. Whatdah they go nowadays 60 lbs undressed with the 3 dozen ticks included? There is one exception to the rule: the 200 grain remington core lokt. The darned things expand out to 200 yds on deer in the little 35 Remington, and even hold together at 358 velocities. The 200 grain core lokt will probably damage less meat than a 180 grainer too. Here was the guy's bullet expansion test with the core lokts the sure winner:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/bu...handloads.html

With my woodleigh 275 grain protected points (pardon me for this very unscientific approach), I set one on the anvil with a 3 lb. baby sledge hammer in hand. I smacked the bullet as fast I could right on the nose. It actually split into four segments on the nose. Soft lead oozed out of the splits in the nose. It looks like they cut the inside of the jackets (near the nose) in four different places to initiate expansion. I think Remington does that with the core lokts too!

I know Smitty......to "beeg" of a bullet. It's just that darned high ballistic coefficient, they might start slow, but they really hold onto their velocity. Judging by the energy figures, it'll hit like a 45-70 heavy load, but be twice as flat shooting, and twice as good at bucking wind out at 200 and 300 yds. Gotta love it.

Mainer:
    I like heavy for caliber bullets too.

I loaded 250 gr Hndys in my 338 WM.

160 and 175 grainers in my various & sundry 7mm cal. Rifles.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

EKC,
    Now that you got a real gun you have no excuses not to get together with me for a hunt, those paper critters you been a shooten just don't taste good and your lips are always blue from the ink!
    I had a tang 77R in 358 many moons ago and wish I still had that puppy....
    Looks like you got a sweet deal!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    EKC,
    Now that you got a real gun you have no excuses not to get together with me for a hunt, those paper critters you been a shooten just don't taste good and your lips are always blue from the ink!
    I had a tang 77R in 358 many moons ago and wish I still had that puppy....
    Looks like you got a sweet deal!
    Actually Smokey I have been eating stinking chicken. Yup thats right. The local farm and home dude sold me a whole flock of half growed chickens this spring at an amazing savings and I stuck em in the whelping room where we raise puppies. They all lived every stinking last one of them. Seens how I used to was a fezunt(you spell it how you want and I'll spell it the right way) hunter, I skin my birds and don't pluck nuthin. Well I skinned em all and now we eat fried chicken, boiled chicken, broiled chicken, shake and bake chicken.........I used to like chicken.

Yeah, I'll go huntin with ya. Whatta we huntin? I'll hunt most anything sept chickens and if I do I'm taken way more gun than what I need and I'm shooten em right in the middle. It was nice here today...86 and a breeze so I went and shot 50 rounds through my 375 Chesterwin. Reckon we should go shoot a hog with lever guns? That would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    EKC,

Did you know Elmer disliked gas checks for the 44 magnum? Ok, now that I've thrown out a random fact, be forewarned that anything standard cup/core bullets under 200 grains don't hold together too well on anything larger than a California deer in the 358. Whatdah they go nowadays 60 lbs undressed with the 3 dozen ticks included? There is one exception to the rule: the 200 grain remington core lokt. The darned things expand out to 200 yds on deer in the little 35 Remington, and even hold together at 358 velocities. The 200 grain core lokt will probably damage less meat than a 180 grainer too. Here was the guy's bullet expansion test with the core lokts the sure winner:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/bu...handloads.html

With my woodleigh 275 grain protected points (pardon me for this very unscientific approach), I set one on the anvil with a 3 lb. baby sledge hammer in hand. I smacked the bullet as fast I could right on the nose. It actually split into four segments on the nose. Soft lead oozed out of the splits in the nose. It looks like they cut the inside of the jackets (near the nose) in four different places to initiate expansion. I think Remington does that with the core lokts too!

I know Smitty......to "beeg" of a bullet. It's just that darned high ballistic coefficient, they might start slow, but they really hold onto their velocity. Judging by the energy figures, it'll hit like a 45-70 heavy load, but be twice as flat shooting, and twice as good at bucking wind out at 200 and 300 yds. Gotta love it.
    I ain't exactly new to the 358W. I've shot em enough to know that the Hornady 180 is a good performer. Keep in mind I've never Texas heart shot a deer in my life. If ya shoot a big ole whitetail in the 8-10 inch kill zone he'll be real dead real fast. If I lived up there it would be a different story for sure. I wouldn't be crazy about shootin a big bear on purpose with one of those 180s....but we ain't got any bears so I'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Actually Smokey I have been eating stinking chicken. Yup thats right. The local farm and home dude sold me a whole flock of half growed chickens this spring at an amazing savings and I stuck em in the whelping room where we raise puppies. They all lived every stinking last one of them. Seens how I used to was a fezunt(you spell it how you want and I'll spell it the right way) hunter, I skin my birds and don't pluck nuthin. Well I skinned em all and now we eat fried chicken, boiled chicken, broiled chicken, shake and bake chicken.........I used to like chicken.

Yeah, I'll go huntin with ya. Whatta we huntin? I'll hunt most anything sept chickens and if I do I'm taken way more gun than what I need and I'm shooten em right in the middle. It was nice here today...86 and a breeze so I went and shot 50 rounds through my 375 Chesterwin. Reckon we should go shoot a hog with lever guns? That would be fun.
    EKC:
    Chicken ain't no good to eat without the skin.

Yer choice of guns is better than your choice of chow.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I like chicken but it leaves a fowl taste in my mouth...):