Thread: When to drop trees for stripping?

Default When to drop trees for stripping?

What time of year is best to drop white spruce to strip the bark easier? I've been using dead standing thus far, but will need to drop some live spruce soon.
    I've heard somewhere to cut the trees in spring, let them sit for a few months, then strip. But I think this was applicable to a warmer climate.

Your thoughts?
    Fly fishing makes me herl

I have cut and debarked over 150 spruce trees in the last few years to use on my sawmill and I have cut them down from winter all the way thru the summer and fall. I would have to say that by far the best and easiest time to do it is in the early summer. I have also had good luck in late winter (very end of March or april). the one that I have cut in late summer and fall take ALOT more time to skin. I also found that if you strip them right away they seem to strip easier although I have heard that it is better to leave the bark on for awhile, I get it off right away. the only good thing that I have found about skinning them in the fall is you don't get near as much sap all over you as you do in the spring.

Appreciate your input. This will be my first log structure project, just a meat cache to start with.
    I should have enough dead stand for the cache, but I want to be prepared for the next project should I not get it out of my system with the cache.

My challenge is I am at the site during the summer only (end of May through first week of September). The trees that are cut in late summer/September, would it be better then to let those sit with bark on until spring, or will they get too infested by then? Beetles go dormant soon enough? Or drop them in May/June and peel them as I go?
    Fly fishing makes me herl