Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Tent?

Question Sheep Tent?

I am in the market to purchase a new two man tent this year for Sheep/Mtn hunting and was wondering if anyone could chime in on what they prefer to use. Most likely will share the load with a partner majority of the time but having something really lightweight that could also be utilized on solo hunts would be a plus.
    I am not adverse to spending a little coin for quality gear that will last and most importantly protect me from the elements. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Luke

Go- lite shangri la's are very popular and very light. You can set up with trekking poles to minimize weight. You can get a screened in nest for the buggy season. We used the floor less version of both of these last year and they were great.

Marmot Grid 2p and 3p are great tents. That is just what I have experience with and it's what were using this season for sheep with shangri-la's.

Lots of great options out there. If it were me, I'd get a Shangri la 3 or 5 for spike and something a little more bombproof for base.
    hope that helps.

I have an eureka apex xt tent. It has done very well for me in the rain and wind. It isn't super light but has been a good tent for me.

I'm a huge Hilleberg fan. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I bought a Nallo 3GT from Barney's and haven't had a regret yet. Super light and super roomy. If you were in a pinch, you could probably sleep 4-5 people in this thing. The vestibule is about the same size as the tent. I wanted the big vestibule, so that was going to happen and then I looked at the weight difference between the 2 man and 3 man and went with the bigger one.

Lots of good choices! Kahahawai had his Nallo 3 reduced to a soggy burrito on a sheep hunt with his kid a couple years ago so they aren't a pitch it anywhere you want tent. I have a Nallo 4 GT for my family and have hauled it up the mountain a few times. It is only a pound more than the Nallo 3 GT and honestly I wouldn't consider either a "light" tent though they are both very good tents.

I went floorless for the first time last year and liked it but we had pretty good weather. If I manage to sneak out at all this season then either my Go-Lite SL5 or SL3 will be on the trip for sure. I don't know that I am ready to 100% trust a teepee tent vs a proven tunnel our dome mountaineering design. For the foreseeable future I will continue to take a "real" tent like my Nallo 4 GT on remote trips to at least have a safe haven at the strip.

I am also a Hilleberg fan. I have the Kaitum. It has been sheep, moose hunting and on float and scouting trips. One thing I really like is the fact that on a few occasions I have had to set it up in a downpour (when rafting, flying and landing when flying became unwise) and when up, the inside was totally dry and remained so over the night. Very roomy for 2, two vestibules, waterproof; not free standing and 6 pounds, which is a bit heavier than some other choices; it has kept me dry and warm in very bad situations.

For sheep hunting last year I used a Bibler Fitzroy... pretty heavy by today's ethereal standards but it's bombproof. 60+mph wind and heavy rain and it barely rattled.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I just spent 3 weeks in my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL4. It would be a roomy tent for 2, but only weighs 5 pounds. Set up easily and is very waterproof.

I did a lot of reading on this forum and went with the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2. Just got it in the mail this week so I haven't had time to hunt from it yet, but I read good things about it on here. It's lightweight and a lot cheaper than a Hilleberg etc. Like most 2-person tents it might be kind of small for 2 people though.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    . Like most 2-person tents it might be kind of small for 2 people though.
    Yep...2 man tent is big enough for 1 guy and some of his gear. 2-3 man tent used solo is pretty awesome- room to spread out and dry out. Throw on a vestibule for muddy boots and rain gear and its just awesome.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Got a Nallo 3GT as per the recommendations here - looks like a fantastic tent with lots of spare room in the vestibule. After reading the stories of the August snow storm in the sheep mountains (last year?) I got the Nallo. I am also bringing just the fly of a Golite Shangrila3 and will use trekking poles for a light spike tent.

Big Anges fan for sure. Love mine. I have the solo version the 2 man would be better for bigger guys, but I'm pretty small so the solo version works for me.

I have two tents. I use my North Face Vario 23 on early season sheep hunts, although it has withstood snow. For later season sheep or goat hunts I use the Bibler I tent.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

from my experience (and my friends) you'd be hard pressed to find a better tent than a hilleberg. I would go from there and get your specific weight range, size, freestanding/not freestanding, 1200 vs. 1800 fabric etc....

Have to agree with what mtnclimber said about the Hilleberg tents. I've used the Hilleberg Unna for the last 6 years and a Nallo 3 before that.have found it to fit my needs very well. I believe it's a few ounces lighter than the Soulo, also it's freestanding which I prefer. It's not the lightest tent out there but it's light enough and I've pulled the inner tent out and left it cached at a main camp or the strip many times and used the shell as a floorless tent to save weight. My partner and I are both able to fit under it with all our gear when the inner tent is taken out. I believe it's a great tent and when this one wears out I'll get another.

For me I like a freestanding and I'll pack an extra 2 lbs for a bomber tent. Hilleberg Tarra for me. Pitch it where you want and let the wind blow. Just had it setup in the yard today putting the inner tent back in. The Jannu is a little lighter and has one vestibule. Lots of guys like the tunnel tents. Best room to weight ratio. Just not for me.

Pitched on a windy ridge for a few days...

If it snows I think it'll handle it....

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Terra Nova Ultra Quasar...on sale at moontrail.com
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    For me I like a freestanding and I'll pack an extra 2 lbs for a bomber tent. Hilleberg Tarra for me. Pitch it where you want and let the wind blow. Just had it setup in the yard today putting the inner tent back in. The Jannu is a little lighter and has one vestibule. Lots of guys like the tunnel tents. Best room to weight ratio. Just not for me.

Pitched on a windy ridge for a few days...

That's a great pic Snyd. It would make a great marketing pic for Hilleberg. Nice how Mr. Ram sneaks his way in there.

My Sawtooth will get the nod again this year. 4lb 8oz I love this tent and it has more than proven itself.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve do you use a bivy for bugs inside your sawtooth?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast