Thread: Migration Argument

Default Migration Argument

I need you guys to settle and argument for a friend and me. I say I have seen caribou cross the Haul Road in July/Aug/Sep going both east and west. My buddy says that at that time they ONLY travel going west. Can you guys comment and tell us what you have observed?

Quote Originally Posted by PSEbowhunter View Post
    I need you guys to settle and argument for a friend and me. I say I have seen caribou cross the Haul Road in July/Aug/Sep going both east and west. My buddy says that at that time they ONLY travel going west. Can you guys comment and tell us what you have observed?
    Net migration direction??? or did one cross the road a few times?

Quote Originally Posted by PSEbowhunter View Post
    So, essentially, what you're saying is that your buddy is telling you that you couldn't actually have seen what you saw with your own eyes...? If everyone here on the internet sided with your buddy, would you conclude that what you saw with your own eyes was actually a hallucination?

Caribou tracking studies have shown that migration is largly driven by weather (predominently temperature) and wind, as it relates to bugs. There are general seasonal patterns, but with caribou there is no such thing as "ONLY" or "always", and the animals will change up their patterns and even reverse course if the weather/wind patterns waffle. Your buddy is incorrect.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The caribou that were going in the right direction were cows. Yes even male caribou will not ask for direction. LOL

This was the same thing I was trying to say, thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Predominately, I've seen the animals heading west, but not all of them. I've seen caribou go both ways. Geez, that just sounds wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Net migration direction??? or did one cross the road a few times?
    We were just talking about hunting the Haul Road and in which direction the caribou travel. I said it varied and you could never guess ahead of time. He said that caribou only traveled in one direction this time of the year on the Haul Road and that was to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I've seen caribou go both ways. Geez, that just sounds wrong!!
    Wrong that they go both ways, or wrong that you enjoy watching?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

only the caribou know which way they are going(well not always )...they may walk 5 miles one way then make a complete u turn and walk 5 miiles in the opposite.... the overall migration well Iofthetaiga pretty much answered that and depending on time of year those Bugs seem to control more of everything up there even the migrating hunters

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Wrong that they go both ways, or wrong that you enjoy watching?
    Yes.........

What everyone else said.

Caribou can still be seen heading north when most go south, or vice versa. Most caribou winter in the mountains; but some can still be seen next to the ocean in the dead of winter. Some will even switch herds completely and may even go over to Canada, if they join in with Porcupine animals. Caribou do what they want; any trends are just generalities for most of the animals but not all.