Thread: Recommendation for aerial scouting around Eagle River

Default Recommendation for aerial scouting around Eagle River

A buddy from Valdez drew a sheep tag in Eagle River and is looking for a pilot to do some arial scouting before boots on the ground. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,
    BEE

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    A buddy from Valdez drew a sheep tag in Eagle River and is looking for a pilot to do some arial scouting before boots on the ground. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,
    BEE
    Uh-huh - - - BE CAREFUL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Uh-huh - - - BE CAREFUL !!!
    Griz:

I am not sure what exactly the warning is for but if you were thinking of potential cheating/illegal same day hunting- NOT!!!!! He is just trying to get a better view in advance of the season- that is all! Part of the reason for posting here is to have ethical recommendations.

I appreciate the concern anyway.

BEE

I think he is referring to the fact that everyone from Anchorage to Wasilla uses that area to practice flying and landing, especially the Knik River corridor. The closer to hunting season, the busier it gets. Also lots of flight seeing tours out of Anchorage and Palmer. Lots of near misses. Be sure the pilot he goes with is familiar with the area and is only paying attention to the flying, not the animals or scenery.
    Patrick

Patrick:

That makes absolute sense- thank you for the wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Griz:

I am not sure what exactly the warning is for but if you were thinking of potential cheating/illegal same day hunting- NOT!!!!! He is just trying to get a better view in advance of the season- that is all! Part of the reason for posting here is to have ethical recommendations.

I appreciate the concern anyway.

BEE
    No, AKBEE, my comment had to do with aerial scouting in the mountains and the considerations that must be given to that type of flying. What with the occasonall windy weather and geography, it's sometimes not just a walk in the park. It might be wise to fly witn an experienced pilot for that sort of stuff. I certainly wan't suggesting anything illegal about such a flight.

Grizzly:

Thank you for both the clarification and the warning. If anyone has a suggestion for a good pilot I would appreciate it.

BEE