Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Youth harvest tags?

  1. #1
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default Youth harvest tags?

    Ok, I have read the darn youth page in the regs and still not sure I have it figured out. My 10yo has passed hunter education and thus "should" be able to have his own tags and be put in for his own draw hunts. Do I need to purchase him his own license? I am missing the info on the 10-15 yo hunters. Is there another page with this info?

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Craig on POW
    Posts
    166

    Default

    He does not need a license, just the tags. Vender usually writes down the kids bithday or age on the paperwork. Been doing it for years without hassle.

  3. #3
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Thanks, I figured it was something like thatbut couldn't nail it down in writing. The info in the regulations is a bit weird to me. It appears that a child age 10 or above without hunter education cannot hunt on his parents tags any longer and ultimately can't hunt big game at all until he/she passes the course(page 13 of current regs). That strikes me as odd, I would have expected the age limit to be at least 12 for being able to hunt on parents tags under direct supervision without the certification and would prefer 16. I was under the impression that the course was developed for 12 year olds.

  4. #4
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    It appears something has changed. I will try and contact the state hunter ed folks tomorrow for clarification. It appears that a kid over ten can get his own harvest ticket, but not be required to have hunter ed to get a harvest tag. However, it looks like they do need hunter ed if they hunt on an adult's draw permit. Weird wording in this year's book.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  5. #5
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    It looks like that a hunter under the age of 16 in units 7,13,14,15, and 20 can hunt with another hunter over the age of 16 that possesses a hunter ed card.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You can hunt on your parents tags until 16. When applying for draw tags online you will enter their age in the box where they ask us adults for their hunting license humber.
    That was my understanding as well Doug but the info on page 13 seems to reflect differently.

    We really need to work with ADF&G to come up with a matrix that is easy to use and decipher what is needed. Simple yes/no questions that end up telling you what you need.

    Based on my reading these are three key points:

    In reading it seems that any kid over 10 must have his/her own harvest tickets regardless of hunter education status and cannot punch a parents general harvest ticket.

    In order to have their own drawing or permit tag they mush be 10 or older and have their hunter education card

    Any child 17 or under can harvest a drawing permit for another adult while under their direct supervision.

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I am definitely interested to see what you find out from your contacts Doug!

  8. #8
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    The hunter ed requirement in Alaska is bogus and discriminates in my opinion. The reason I say this is because it should either be required in every GMU or none at all and there should be a date of birth requirement as well. This would simplify the current system that makes no sense and catches people off guard every year, especially on some of the youth draws.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The hunter ed requirement in Alaska is bogus and discriminates in my opinion. The reason I say this is because it should either be required in every GMU or none at all and there should be a date of birth requirement as well. This would simplify the current system that makes no sense and catches people off guard every year, especially on some of the youth draws.
    Lol you been in ak for what 5-6 yrs and you still haven't got your kids in hunter Ed lol. **** not that hard stop whining pull your pants up tighten your belt, turn that frown upside down wipe the tears away blow your snot bubbles and sign them up. let me guess the middle kid can't hunt cause no hunter Ed. Shoot me a pm I might have answer for you.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    This is footage of bronco when he took his Alaska hunter Ed test.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvv-2...e_gdata_player

  11. #11
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Lol you been in ak for what 5-6 yrs and you still haven't got your kids in hunter Ed lol. **** not that hard stop whining pull your pants up tighten your belt, turn that frown upside down wipe the tears away blow your snot bubbles and sign them up. let me guess the middle kid can't hunt cause no hunter Ed. Shoot me a pm I might have answer for you.
    They have not gone to hunter ed because it is not a requirement for them to have it to hunt the hunts and units I have taken them to. I just think the state is retarded by picking and choosing what units and what hunts hunter ed is required. All other states keep it simple and apply it to the entire state depending on age.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Lol now the state is retarded gees... You are heartless fella what would the true Alaskans living in the remote villages do if they had to be hunter Ed certified. Man only you would want to Infringe on there ability to hunt and force the entire state into hunter Ed. If you look at the big picture it's only required in units where everyone hunts. You know what consider yourself un friended on Facebook...

  13. #13
    Member AKBighorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That was my understanding as well Doug but the info on page 13 seems to reflect differently.

    We really need to work with ADF&G to come up with a matrix that is easy to use and decipher what is needed. Simple yes/no questions that end up telling you what you need.

    Based on my reading these are three key points:

    In reading it seems that any kid over 10 must have his/her own harvest tickets regardless of hunter education status and cannot punch a parents general harvest ticket.
    This is how I understand it so every year we get harvest permits for the boys. This however does not apply for permitted hunts as I read it.

    In order to have their own drawing or permit tag they must be 10 or older and have their hunter education card
    Not as its written, they must have it if they are 16 yrs or older as they are able by law to hunt by themselves. If they are 10-15 and are hunting with an adult that either has the hunter ed card or was born before Jan. 1 1986 then the minor is covered.

    Any child 17 or under can harvest a drawing permit for another adult while under their direct supervision.
    Also correct, it is noted on the permit supplement.


    Both of my boys have completed the course as it is required in the units they will hunt if drawn for a permit (They are both over 16 now). Although I didn't read this in the regs, my youngest son drew a youth cow tag a few years ago. He was 12 yrs old and on the tag itself it stated that if he was to fill the tag that it went against the supervising adults yearly limit. When we went to F&G to turn in the tag and the lower jaw they told me that was not so. I showed them the tag and what it said but apparently the gal at the counter either didn't know what the rules were or the tag had poor verbage (in which I don't believe to be the case). Either way I turned in my tag at the same time. It wouldn't be worth any hassle later on nor do I need 2 moose. He was not required to have a hunting license but I thought he was required to have a hunter ed card because I didn't. I don't read it that way now since I was born before 1986.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    They have not gone to hunter ed because it is not a requirement for them to have it to hunt the hunts and units I have taken them to. I just think the state is retarded by picking and choosing what units and what hunts hunter ed is required. All other states keep it simple and apply it to the entire state depending on age.
    While I understand your point bronco it appears that they have made the requirement in the units that the bulk of the population likely hunt. Is that right? Not necessarily but being this is AK and there are so many remote communities, my guess it that has played into thier decision as it would not be easy for every village etc to comply with thier youth. Just a thought.

    Don't jump off the deep end there 323. Sometimes we don't all see the whole picture and become blinded by our own thoughts.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 07-29-2012 at 13:48. Reason: Too many distractions to complete before 323 posted

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default time to volunteer

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The hunter ed requirement in Alaska is bogus and discriminates in my opinion. The reason I say this is because it should either be required in every GMU or none at all and there should be a date of birth requirement as well. This would simplify the current system that makes no sense and catches people off guard every year, especially on some of the youth draws.
    The state hunter ed department's manpower is based almost entirely on volunteers. They'd probably love it if you would volunteer to produce a report for that that shows a way for them to accomplish exactly what you're asking for, in a reasonable manner now. I'm not sure you could move this along faster than they have, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Just giving bronco ****...for one they offer hunter safety on post all but 1/4 mile from his place lol.

  16. #16
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    O.K. here we go.. This is for units 7,13,14,15 and 20


    1. If you are under the age of 16 you must have hunter ed to hunt without supervision. If the child does not have a hunter ed card they are required to accompanied by a hunter over the age of 16 that either has a hunter ed card or born before 1986.
    2. If a kid is under age 10 they cannot get their own general season harvest tags, regardless if they have hunter ed or not. A child under the age of 10 has to hunt off the harvest tags of a qualified supervising hunter (over 16 with hunter ed, or born before 1986)
    3. If a kid is over age 10 they must get their own harvest tags. There is no requirement to shown a hunter ed card to get harvest tags at a vendor because they can legally hunt without a hunter ed card if they meet the requirements of #1. In place of hunting license number on the harvest tag you would write the kid's age (ie: AGE10)
    4. A child under 10 cannot get his or her own draw tags. A child 10 and over can get a draw tag if they have hunter ed. (This is not spelled out clearly in the regualtion book) A child under 10 can hunt an adult's draw tag without the requirement of having hunter ed. A child 10-17 can hunt an adult's draw tag if they have hunter ed and accompanied by the adult draw tag holder.


    Do I need to purchase him his own license?
    From Jon's original post. No, you do not need to purchase a license for anyone under age 16. To apply for tags online you would simply put the child's age in the box for license number (ie: AGE10). I know it works because my kids have all drawn tags before they were 16. To get harvest tags (as noted above) you simply enter the kids age in the license number box. Once again, I've done this several times with my kids.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It appears something has changed. I will try and contact the state hunter ed folks tomorrow for clarification. It appears that a kid over ten can get his own harvest ticket, but not be required to have hunter ed to get a harvest tag. However, it looks like they do need hunter ed if they hunt on an adult's draw permit. Weird wording in this year's book.
    same as it has been, i have the codified also.. once they pass 10 they must have a harvest tag .. and hunt under supervison.. can hunt the DRAW tag of the adult until 16... but not the harvest tag regardless ALL unlicensed youth have to be supervised
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    same as it has been, i have the codified also.. once they pass 10 they must have a harvest tag .. and hunt under supervison.. can hunt the DRAW tag of the adult until 16... but not the harvest tag regardless ALL unlicensed youth have to be supervised
    They must have hunter education card in order to hunt an adult's draw tag if they are older than 10. Kind of odd but I guess it is an incentive to get it done.

  19. #19
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    They must have hunter education card in order to hunt an adult's draw tag if they are older than 10. Kind of odd but I guess it is an incentive to get it done.
    have to have it at 16 anyway... to get licensed.. and i intentionally omitted that as it had already been stated... just noting the regs and wording had not changed in several years.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •