Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Bling

Default Arrow Bling

Sorry, Hernia surgery has me stuck at home and board.IMG00002-20120726-1052.jpg

Is that meant for a gay caribou?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

They're non-discriminatory. They look like a rocket on fire going to the target!...but I wouldn't know that because the Doc hasn't given me permission to shoot my bow yet...nope... I haven't shot one yet... I'm just guessing that they will look like a rocket...on fire.

Someone has had too much time at the bench !! Good looking traditional arrows, though just not sure about the powder puff on the back of the fletching; It might become a wet noodle in inclimate weather.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

DSCF1335.jpg Laugh at inclimate weather with this high dollar quiver/case. 11 arrows bone dry. Besides I had to do something with the red and black feathers I bought years ago but they weren't as visible I as my normal yellow and orange. I hope it's a compromise between good visibility and "Here I am!". Might be important on Kodiak this year.

The arrow case looks like it's made out of a plastic rocket canister. ARE you sure 11 arrows will be enough on kodiak ? There's not much chance of a resupply in case of an incident. Good looking piece of bamboo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The arrow case looks like it's made out of a plastic rocket canister. ARE you sure 11 arrows will be enough on kodiak ? There's not much chance of a resupply in case of an incident. Good looking piece of bamboo.

PVC leftovers from Home Depot. That's all I'll carry with me in the field for deer and booboo but no worries, I can run faster than my hunting buddy.

If you can run and shoot a bow you're a better man than I.

The running part would be "after" the shot.

Must be some mighty viscious deer on Kodiak if you gotta run away from'em.

Makes me wonder what ever happened to archery and bowhunting . . . . . ?

Is your beaver fur staying on the string? I keep having problems with it falling off. I used serving to keep it on but it seems to be cutting thru the hide and all I have is little bits of fur left after 50 shots or so....not very quiet.

Brav,

Those are called ninja sitka...very tough and sleuthy and bear considerable caution.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Makes me wonder what ever happened to archery and bowhunting . . . . . ?
    Not sure where you're coming from there Grizzly 2? Homemade wood arrows, homemade bamboo backed yew longbow and a homemade quiver not to different than Glenn St.Charles made in the day. Some things still work today as they did centuries ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Is your beaver fur staying on the string? I keep having problems with it falling off. I used serving to keep it on but it seems to be cutting thru the hide and all I have is little bits of fur left after 50 shots or so....not very quiet.

Brav,

Those are called ninja sitka...very tough and sleuthy and bear considerable caution.
    I don't use beaver or otter balls anymore because they're heavy especially when wet and they breakdown. One of my good friends makes and sells Wooly Whispers. 3 Rivers sells them or order them direct from Ray White at White Water Creek Products. He invented and sells leafy Limb Covers too. Wool is much lighter and quiets the string just as good. A flick of the string in the rain and they're dry. I've run out of them up here and just picked up a ball of wool yarn and make my own now. 30 - three inch strands will quiet a Widow Recurve. Just stick the bunch in the middle of the string about a foot from each end.

The real truth is the second arrow in my Kodiak quiver is a 45/70 loaded with 430gr Buffalo Bore. Hope I don't need a second arrow. My hunting partner will be tethered to me with a 375.

I don'y see any problem with your sticks; at least you didn't glue any training wheels on it ! Never hunted any ninja deer before maybe time I tried tho.

Boud'arc,

Great idea with the wool yarn. I have some alpaca yarn (don't ask) that should work just as well...I'll give it a try...thanks!

splice the back end if you want to use up those odd ball colors like blacks browns etc.....slip in a piece of white yellow red on the back...or a gray bar/real turkey up front with white behind it is pretty stunning! Or a section on the back and a section on the front with a dark inbetween...ideas are endless!

lowrider, is your beaver balls tanned? have they dry rotted?

I typically wrap and than tuck through the bundles once..sometimes going through the bundles and back under the last wrap, than squash it together so it's not a telephone pole. If the skin dries out it'll crack and be junk. Doesnt happen very often but it can.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    lowrider, is your beaver balls tanned? have they dry rotted?

I typically wrap and than tuck through the bundles once..sometimes going through the bundles and back under the last wrap, than squash it together so it's not a telephone pole. If the skin dries out it'll crack and be junk. Doesnt happen very often but it can.
    Trad,

You have hit upon the problem...the beaver is tanned and is soft but is probably 25 years old and I guess it is just not up to the job at this point. I'm cutting strips off a skin I had tanned in ANC and is still nice but old.

I'm going to try alpaca wool yarn and see how that works. Alpaca fleece tends to shed water better than sheep wool, is still a pretty tough fiber and doesn't carry the "wet sheep" smell. I

I'm tillering a bamboo backed white oak 63" long bow now and want to use all natural materials if I can so I'm trying to get something that works to use on that one when it's done...altho progress is slow when you're trying to move.

IMG00005-20120728-1659.jpg This year's sheep/goat bow with a more Eco-friendly homemade quiver. Still need to sew a fletching cover for weather protection. Osage saturated in paraffin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast