Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 SE Deer Hunting

Default 2012 SE Deer Hunting

Figured I'd get the thread set up. Final sight-ins last night. Looks like my '06 super improved w/ 180 NAB's may get the nod. Weather looks like it might stay dry on opening day. Will probably hit my honey hole on S. Douglas. Expect folks to start posting up some report next week. Good luck panhandlers! Happiness is the first gut pile of the season.

Flew over/along some ridges on Douglas and Admiralty this week for work.....still brown and plenty of snow on a bunch of the alpine. Very few deer sighted up high (3). With our okay winter, I'd assume there are still plenty there but they are likely lower than usual. Folks who fly that yearly say this was the fewest they have seen up high. Could be a jungle hunt.

Personally I'm chasin butts next week, I'm holding off til the the velvet drops.....good luck and good weather to all who are heading out.

I think the deer weathered the winter pretty well. I was more deer in my yard and along North Douglas Hwy this spring and early summer than I have before. Probably won't make opening day. But I think a walk or two might be in order.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Lots O Deer on the beaches.....Just sayin....

Any idea on how the deer did last winter in northern pws?

I'm sure they did great as they did fine around Petersburg. We even had "Elliot" from Open Season hanging out here all summer! Must have been kicked in the nads. Still lots of snow up high though. The lower high elevations should be golden!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Prepare to get wet. This weather doesn't look like it's letting up any.

They're calling for almost an inch of rain Thursday night. Should keep the crouds outta the alpine.

Can't decide what to do. Go up tonight, early am tomorrow, or just plain bag it. Heading up north on Saturday for a sheep hunt so my mind is elsewhere at the moment. But there defenitely is something special about opening day...

Is there anyone on here from POW that can answer some questions for me. I'm looking into heading down there in Nov. for deer and most likely staying in a FS Cabin. Please send me a PM, thanks.

I say go up early. Really wet days have definate hunting advantages. Just plan on being wet.

What I see is that tonight is supposed to be really wet and then slowly taper off towards the weekend.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Prepare to get wet. This weather doesn't look like it's letting up any.
    I puzzed out. It was raining so darn hard last night. Then a buddy phoned me that me got one this morning. Arggggg!!! Clouds started lifting ~9-ish. Gearing up tonite, but it looks like rain Thurs and Fri.

How was opening morning for you guys that actually went? I would love to do some deer hunting right now. Couple of more months for me...

Bunch of guys around here got some deer right on the beaches and were back by noon...

Set the alarm for 4am. Woke up at 4am and reset the alarm for 7am. Left the house at 8am. Realized that I forgot my lunch about 1/2 mile up the trail. So I turned around and went back and got my lunch. On the way up I saw 3 ghost deer in the fog. Made my way up to about 3000' not much sign up there so I made my way down a bit and glassed. Saw two deer about a mile away that I thought may be bucks but it was getting later in the day and they were not in the direction I needed to go. Made my down some avalanche chutes that were lined with alders and devils club for handholds (sucks to slide uncontrollably through devils club). As I was cussing myself out for wasting my time going down this route I look up and a fork is staring at me 75 yards downhill. Dropped him. Made it back home 'bout an hour ago. Glad I slept in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How was opening morning for you guys that actually went? I would love to do some deer hunting right now. Couple of more months for me...

Pic

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    Set the alarm for 4am. Woke up at 4am and reset the alarm for 7am. Left the house at 8am. Realized that I forgot my lunch about 1/2 mile up the trail. So I turned around and went back and got my lunch. On the way up I saw 3 ghost deer in the fog. Made my way up to about 3000' not much sign up there so I made my way down a bit and glassed. Saw two deer about a mile away that I thought may be bucks but it was getting later in the day and they were not in the direction I needed to go. Made my down some avalanche chutes that were lined with alders and devils club for handholds (sucks to slide uncontrollably through devils club). As I was cussing myself out for wasting my time going down this route I look up and a fork is staring at me 75 yards downhill. Dropped him. Made it back home 'bout an hour ago. Glad I slept in.

Nice SE Alpine! Good end to a rocky start.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post

Pic
    Thanks for sharing the pic and a story. Congrats. A nice buck to start the season. What were you shooting?

Thanks for sharing the pic and a story. Congrats. A nice buck to start the season. What were you shooting?
    My guess is.....that deer in the picture.

Sorry couldn't resist.

30-06 150 grain

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast