Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOF meeting on 7/26... what was the outcome on the setnetters petitions

Default BOF meeting on 7/26... what was the outcome on the setnetters petitions

Listened to it but had a phone call the last 10 minutes or so. Will the be allowed to fish?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

No action on petition - 6 to 2 vote. Original petition was withdrawn by the petitioner. Six new related petitions were received weds but the Board did not take action on these because they had not yet had time to study them or to receive a staff analysis.

Dept will consider august set net fishery time based on status of king and sockeye escapements at that point.

Also note that with the upgrade in the Kenai sockeye run to over 4.6 million, drift net area restrictions in the central district are removed for the rest of the month.

Looks like the setnetters just got shot down totally then.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

bFish has it, here is a link to a report on it. there is an excellent comment in response to the article btw.

http://deckboss.blogspot.com/2012/07...in-bid-to.html

So much for Fish Creek and Susitna reds...

Not true on no restriction we were kept in area 1 & 2!

It was only for a small little section of the east side beach anyway. The whole east side was not going to be open regardless even if the board okayd it. Meaningless BOF meeting. There was some pink salmon proposals that had no action.

Fish creek has only seen @ 7300 reds, a lot less than the 50,000 escapement I had changed from 70,000. Not going to happen I'm afraid

That was a cool old video, sayak. Thanks for sharing

Here's another. I am not a CI set netter, though I set netted in BB for about 20 years. I have friends who guide and friends who are set netters. Until the problem is diagnosed, every group will need to pull back some, but I do think this one user group has been unfairly targeted for political reasons. Note: unlike the drift fleet, nearly 90% of ESCI set netters are Alaska residents and many have deep family roots in the fishery. Also, only about 1% of their catch has been kings.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    That was a cool old video, sayak. Thanks for sharing
    Here is an older one. The comm fishery has been going on a very long time, and was in fact much, much more agressive and unrestricted historically. It hasn't been until recent years that there has been a problem with returns.

Unhappy Good Time Charlies . . .

Personally, it sickens and disgusts me to see an historic, harvest and family-oriented fishery like the East Side set-nets sacrificed in order to pander to and perpetuate the in-river, Kenai king salmon fishery, a dog-and-pony-show that panders to a childish preoccupation with size and is driven and sustained by the economics of ego.

If I had my way, I'd kill every last Kenai king in order to prevent this farcical fiasco from ever happening again.

That the carnival that is the Kenai king fishery, private and commercial, can muster such political clout is a pathetic commentary on our times. Everything—thrills, photo ops, a sense of conquest, a rush—is for sale.

Attachment 61985

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Here's another. I am not a CI set netter, though I set netted in BB for about 20 years. I have friends who guide and friends who are set netters. Until the problem is diagnosed, every group will need to pull back some, but I do think this one user group has been unfairly targeted for political reasons. Note: unlike the drift fleet, nearly 90% of ESCI set netters are Alaska residents and many have deep family roots in the fishery. Also, only about 1% of their catch has been kings.
    True on the 1% but that amounts to nearly 50% of the kings that are killed on the Kenai (sportfish kills the other 50%). Trawlers love to say how clean their percentage of bycatch is. Metric tons of Pollock versus 122,000 king salmon gives them less than a percent of incidental waste. Do you think the king salmon rivers of Alaska think 122,000 is statistically insignificant?

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    True on the 1% but that amounts to nearly 50% of the kings that are killed on the Kenai (sportfish kills the other 50%). Trawlers love to say how clean their percentage of bycatch is. Metric tons of Pollock versus 122,000 king salmon gives them less than a percent of incidental waste. Do you think the king salmon rivers of Alaska think 122,000 is statistically insignificant?
    My point is this: historically, intense commercial fishery from the shore (yes, fish traps are about as intense as it can get) did not impact the king fishery so as to stop a run entirely as we see today. No, there are newer factors at play. Consider what has developed in the last 40 years and you may have your answer.

I have not fished for kings in years except with Mr Fish two years ago, We didn't catch anything then either. Our King runs are in dire straights, no matter how you look at it. I live in the valley and don't even know where my fishing poles are: it has been that long. I dipnet as most of you know but with the run exceeding 5 million fish in escapement, give or take, that does not hurt the resource. But something has to give, nowadays we need to all figure this out. What is killing all the kings? Statewide?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Personally, it sickens and disgusts me to see an historic, harvest and family-oriented fishery like the East Side set-nets sacrificed in order to pander to and perpetuate the in-river, Kenai king salmon fishery, a dog-and-pony-show that panders to a childish preoccupation with size and is driven and sustained by the economics of ego.

If I had my way, I'd kill every last Kenai king in order to prevent this farcical fiasco from ever happening again.

That the carnival that is the Kenai king fishery, private and commercial, can muster such political clout is a pathetic commentary on our times. Everything—thrills, photo ops, a sense of conquest, a rush—is for sale.

Attachment 61985
    What about the resident "private" Alaskan sport fisherpeople that want to harvest and eat a Kenai king salmon by rod and reel? Kill every last one Marsha and see how that helps your friends the ESSN'ers (it won't, because if they do, the ESSN'ers won't fish anymore...duhhh).....why do you think that every person who sport fishes king salmon on the Kenai River is seeking a "photo op??" Do you really think there are not those of us out there who don't own set-net sites that would like to catch and harvest a king salmon, two mind you, a year and eat them sportfishing who are residents of this great state and have been for many years?? You, again, and again, fail and miss the mark.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-06-2012 at 13:02. Reason: negative personal comments

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    . . You . . miss the mark. . .

hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
    noun Rhetoric .

obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2.an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to betaken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Default and sport fishermen can go to...

Unfortuantly,this seems to be the attitude of some - and perhaps many- of the comm guys and their supporters: the profits of a few comm fishermen are MUCH more important the majority of the sport fishermen in Alaska.

And remember the often quoted words of the comm fishermen last year .."They are our fish".

And hence the battle over all the fish in the Kenai - kings, reds, and silvers

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    If I had my way, I'd kill every last Kenai king...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thumbs down More unfounded abuse of AK's seafood industry . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    sport fishermen can go to... seems to be the attitude of some - and perhaps many- of the comm guys and their supporters: the profits of a few comm fishermen are MUCH more important the majority of the sport fishermen in Alaska.

And remember the often quoted words of the comm fishermen last year .."They are our fish". . .

Here we go—again and again and again . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast