Thread: Any Good Saltwater Fishing Right Out Of Kenai?

Default Any Good Saltwater Fishing Right Out Of Kenai?

I'm wondering if there is any worthwhile saltwater fishing accessible by small boat (18'/50 hp.) anywhere closer to Soldotna than Homer or Seward?

I'd like to get into some saltwater fishing but from our place outside of Soldotna, trailering the boat to either Seward or Homer is about a 2 hour trip. We'll definitely do that as well but would like to find some closer options. (if there are any) We are non-residents who only get to spend a few weeks a year there and mostly fish the river so I have little idea about the saltwater options in the immediate area.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Deep Creek is about 45 minutes south. Access to Halibut and King and Silvers in season. Try going out the mouth of the Kenai in the salt south to the "buoy" halibut up to 50 pounds available. Good luck fishing.

I've never done it myself, but the people I used to rent a nightly cabin from around Beaver Creek used to tell me they often times would go out of the mouth of the Kenai to fish for butt. They used to get some nice fish out there, but I'm not exactly sure where or how far out they went. But I'd certainly say Roland's advice is probably spot on.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I used to fish out of the mouth of the Kenai in the spring when the hooligan were running. I have never done it this time of year. I went south maybe 1/4 -1/2 mile and fished in 50 feet. Plenty of halibut. Only problem was coming in on the dropping tide. There can be some huge waves on the bar at the mouth which are dangerous for a small boat.

I went out the mouth looking for butts just once. Never found them but did find a lot of salmon sharks. Plan your trip around the tide...... The river mouth fans out at low tide, gets to shallow to pass at least it was in my boat.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH
    Only problem was coming in on the dropping tide. There can be some huge waves on the bar at the mouth which are dangerous for a small boat.
    man tru.dis

I've fished often out close to the buoy for Kenai river and have done very well catching butt this time of year. More dogs and fleas but the catching is good every so often