Thread: GoPro? Pros and Cons

Default GoPro? Pros and Cons

I am wondering what are some of the good and bad things you have found with the GoPro? I am thinking about getting the HD2. My biggest complaint right now with my cameras is that they are not waterproof and therefore they are NEVER used! My application will be in the salt, fishing and just exploring in general on the ocean. Also could include hikes, still pictures of scenery, etc.
    I was thinking of mounting it to a bar on my boat to have a real taste on video of what it is like to be on the trip.
    If you have suggestions for another camera other than GoPro, feel free to chime in and tell me why.
    Thanks in advance.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Versus what ? I do not know of any other device as affordable or portable as a Go-Pro. If you want one, get one, I say ! I bought a HERO and am still learning to use it, and I really like it so far, the only issues I have had with it are mainly due to operator error I think.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

I love mine! The video is amazing quality. Takes pretty nice pictures too. Its not the cost of the camera that gets you, its all the **** accessories

I went with the Drift HD it has several advantages over the Go-Pro, as far as pictures quality I have not used it enough to have a opinion.

GoPro cams are awesome. Point of view takes a little getting used to, but the results are worth the learning curve. It doesn't replace a regular camera but augments well. No zoom along with 170 degree wide angle, means you must be close to get decent footage. I have three and love them.

I use waterproof point and shoot cameras. I'm currently using the new Olympus TG-1 iHS along with a GoProHD. Awesome combo, every photo I have ever posted on here with just a few exceptions have been taken using these cameras. You can't take a photo with a camera in a case or your pack back, the water proof tough cameras are great to capture the rough and tumble beauty of Alaska when she plays rough.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

I have a GoPro that I have played around with a bit. So what can be said about it... its small, light and takes decent photos and great video. I have used it underwater a few times (in a pool in Hawaii) and the shots were not great. Just upgraded to the new Dive Housing GoPro sells and it made a world of difference. The menus are a little confusing and I have had a couple of cases where the settings were wrong and I missed some very good action. The camera loves bright light and sun, you will get good photos with those conditions.. dark and cloudy.. not so great. As for accessories, check out eyeofmine.com for some less expensive mounting options.

As for running it on the rail of your boat, I tried it on the side rails and it vibrated too much. Put it up on the bow in the front and ran from Ester Island back into Whittier and it was fantastic. I still need to upload the video of me racing the some guy back to the harbor and jumping the ferry wake... I also have some shrimping video to sort out and upload..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default GoPro? Pros and Cons

I've used mine while sheep hunting, riding ATV's, moose hunting and halibut fishing, great video. I mounted mine on a shooting stick to get underwater shots while halibut fishing and it worked great. My only complaint is the battery life. I bought the battery bac-pac to extend battery life a bit. I charged it with a small solar panel while sheep hunting and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I don't have one but I have enjoyed the videos they have enabled. The ultra wide lens has significant distortion but that is half the fun. I have used a waterproof still camera in video mode with good results mounted on my helmet but the view isn't nearly as wide. The ultra wide lens can be both good and bad though, depending on what you are shooting and what your viewing perspective is.

As others have said, it's a super wide angle camera and you'll still want something with a more normal angle/zoom. I have the Drift and really like it. I use it mostly for snowmachining and it has worked flawlessly in the cold. With the wide angle you really have to get CLOSE to what you are shooting. I tell my buddies that if I'm bumping the side of their machine, I'm just about at the right for distance to film them riding.

Musicman, do you have the Contour, and/or hve you compared it to the GoPro ??

Just curious, as that Contour looks pretty good, same basic pricing, waterproof to a meter down
    and i kinda like the shape of it for mounting,

Hope this thread goes further, what else is there, how do they compare
    how many of the accessories are necessary in your guys' opinions, versus what is left at home when you go out
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

i have a older Contour.
    No direct comparison but I know I don't like the fish eye effect the go-pro gives.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"