Thread: Evinrude E-Tec w/Jet

Default Evinrude E-Tec w/Jet

Does anyone have experience with this motor (any size)? I've heard a lot of good things about it. Just wondering if it was the motor that it's hyped up to be?

Thank You!
    Richard

Depends on which tv commericals you are listening to
    I think all the newer outboards are of comparable quality but the prices can vary a lot. I would base my decision on which brand to buy based more on dealer support or lack of.
    Tennessee

Default check this forum out

http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fuse...cfm?forumid=11

these guys have some experience with them, seems like with a jet on them , they have had some problems, but with a prop the are great!

A buddy of mine bought a new one (90/65) last year and had problems when running in really cold water (like glacial rivers...Big Su, Knik, etc..). Supposedly there is a sensor on them that doesn't like the really cold water and was giving him false "low oil/no oil" warnings. He took it back to the dealer (AMDS) two or three times. They say they finally fixed it this last time, but he didn't have time to run it before winterizing it. Other than that it seems like a good motor.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I don't know this first hand, but I am told that the ETec with a jet does not like cavitating. If the RPM's shoot up to fast, the engine shuts down, and it has to be reset at the dealer. Over all not a bad thing unless your our on the water... Just something to consider is all.

I almost bought one last year, had multiple people tell me of problems they were having, I went Yamaha instead served me great last year.

Default Etec

The ETEC tec rep went to Wooldridge Boats to give them a run through on this engine a few days ago. Here is what I was told, the cold weather use was fine as long as you use the proper oil,the thinnest Evinrude offers 100 weight " I hope this is the right #".
    He recommended here in AK to start off with this. You can program the ECU, to calibrate it, so it knows how to regulate the oil use. What would happen with the heaver oil was when the oil was cold the engine could not draw enough oil to supply the system so the sensor thought it was out of oil so it would shut down, go into limp mode. This has cured the oil sensor issues they said. They also said you could blend oil if you were low as long as it was a good quality TCW 3 oil, not the Safeway stuff.
    The cavitation tale only applies if the engine is at full throttle when this happens, so if you are hopping the gravel bars remember to throttle back before you pump some gravel if you don't have a tunnel. They have several customers using this engine with no complaints so far.

There is a guide that is having a 23ft Super Sport Drifter built with a 200+ HP ETEC on it with a tiller,he has run the ETEC engines since they came out with no issues so far. His old brand of boat cavitated quite often "no tunnel" and he has never experienced the shut down yet. Hope this helps

Default Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I almost bought one last year, had multiple people tell me of problems they were having, I went Yamaha instead served me great last year.
    And the Yammi 4-strokes have better fuel economy, and run flawlessly whether it is 20* or 80* out.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I am a yamaha fan, the 150 four-stroke is a great engine, it is a V-4 and actually about the same weight or lighter than the V6 two strokes in the same horse power. I was actually surprised at how heavy the e-tecs were. I have heard from guys in the lower 48 that run them really like them.

A fishin buddy of mine has a 115 hp E-Tec on an 18 foot Alweld. Last year we ran from the Yukon River bridge twice to the Dall River, Valdez for pinks and again for silvers, Minto Flats from the village of Minto 4 times, the Wood River for Moose, the Copper River for dipnetting reds, Delta Clearwater twice for silvers, and a few other smaller creeks during the summer. We experienced no problems at all. It's quiet and pretty good on fuel.

Default Darn good engine

I've got an 115hp on my 16 foot tunnel hull and it is good on gas and very responsive.

Default Thanks for your input!

Light weight, 2-stroke power, good fuel consumption, quiet, right now has a 7 year warranty, and low maintenance. Sounds like a great motor. I guess will see over the next few years if it's really what it's cracked up to be. Thanks again for the info guys!

Happy and Safe Boating this year!
    Richard

I called Evinrude (26 Mar 07) and asked about the cold water problem and was told the cold water issue has been fixed according to the ETEC tec rep at Evinrude. No more problems noted since Evinrude fixed the sensors to stop the so called cold water issue.

Also seem AKmud keeps posting the same old garbage without even calling the company to check out the truth behind his continued statement of a cold water issue when its no longer an issue ITS FIXED according to the ETEC tec rep at Evinrude, call them I did.

Now I haven't decided which motor I will get for my future boat, but I will surely check it out myself and not rely solely on one posters bias opinion.

Default E-Tec Rumors

The rumored cold water problem was a programming blip in a few of the earliest engines. It was also know as the cold water limp mode problem. The few engines that it effected were cured with a programming change to the engine's EMM/ Engine Management Module. BRP/Evinrude periodically updates the software programming for their EMMs.