Thread: Caution Anchorage Boat Owners

Default Caution Anchorage Boat Owners

I wanted to give any unsuspecting boat owners in the Anchorage area who may be desperate to get their boat back in the water to not make the same mistake that I did and take my boat to ............................... off of Old Seward and 74th. Unfortunately those that have needed marine work done in the short summer season up here know how hard it can be to get work done in a timely manner; it’s the nature of the beast in Alaska. Well, after calling around the anchorage area to all the recommended major shops and was told of the realistic wait times to get in their cue I (unfortunately) decided to give ........ my business because I was impatient, knew that my mechanical motor issue was relatively minor and ....... assured me they could get to it and turn it around in a week depending on parts availability. Well what ensued for the next three weeks ran the gamut of poor shop and mechanic horror stories: exceeding originally quoted estimates (by a factor of two), performing the unapproved work without approval, stringing me along (“oh sure we’ll get to it tomorrow”), failure to properly diagnose or diagnose at all, performing work that does not fix problems/symptoms, and quoting additional repair work that was three times the cost of other shop estimates.

Below is a summary of issues:

• Took nearly 2 weeks to begin diagnosing when said they would do it in under three days
    • Took nearly three weeks to perform an unnecessary carburetor gasket replacement
    • Originally quoted $400 for carburetor work. Unapproved bill was $800 for replacement gaskets only, not even a complete rebuild when I picked it up!
    • Boat had numerous new scratches in hull, some went through the gel coat (I cleaned and polished the day before dropping it off so was intimately familiar with all existing surface damage.
    • Carb/spark arrester wasn’t even put back together when I told them I was going to pick it up. And they then tried giving me back the boat without the spark arrestor cover with engine information.
    • Cut my trailer hitch lock without even an apology or a cheap replacement.
    • Quoted an additional $1900 for an intake manifold gasket replacement, with no certainty this would solve my symptoms.

So the long and short of it I have burned nearly a month of precious boating time and last but not least I have nothing to show for it but a couple new gaskets, 800 bucks lighter and still needing work done.

Thought I’d share some of my pain and prevent others from similar experiences. Don’t be so impatient like me and itching to get back on the water
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 07-26-2012 at 15:13.

Another one got burned. File a BBB on them.

I had horrible service with them last summer, will never set foot in that place again.

This thread will probably get deleted soon, but at least a few people will see it! Thank you for the info!!!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

yeah they suck

A demerit for you Brewer. Read the thread rules and edit your post. Ask anyone interested to know "who" they can send you a PM!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I believe that there's a law up here that says if the bill is more than 10% higher than the estimate and you didn't authorize the higher cost you don't have to pay it. I got this from a guy who runs an auto shop.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I learned the hard way that just because a shop can get you boat in sooner, doesn't necessarily mean squat. In general, it turns out the it's best to use a shop that has a way to actually run the boat in the water (vs. on a hose or in a tank) to verify the issue has been fixed. Not naming shops, just food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    In general, it turns out the it's best to use a shop that has a way to actually run the boat in the water (vs. on a hose or in a tank) to verify the issue has been fixed. Not naming shops, just food for thought...
    I don't disagree with what you’re saying at $100/hr shop time it could easily add $1000 to the bill for a one hour test run if not more.
    Most people would not want to pay that much when they could do it them selves.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't disagree with what you’re saying at $100/hr shop time it could easily add $1000 to the bill for a one hour test run if not more.
    Most people would not want to pay that much when they could do it them selves.
    I understand. The issue I was having a problem that only occured while under a load and at mid to upper range rpms. The shop with no way to run the boat couldn't diagnose the problem, while keeping the boat for two weeks apparently because they had no way to run the boat under a load. The shop right next to a big lake diagnosed it in about 10 minutes. All I'm saying is that in order to get my boat fixed properly, I ended up having to take it to the guys that had the operation to do it right, even though they were way out of town.

In the long run, I would rather pay for them to do a test run and verify the issue is fixed than get all the way down to Seward, and launch the boat just to find out it wasn't fixed...been there and done that more than once. As I said, hard lesson learned.

A one hour test run at $100 per-hour equals $1000?

Is that what they call "fuzzy math"?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    A one hour test run at $100 per-hour equals $1000?

Is that what they call "fuzzy math"?
    If an Anchorage shop takes your boat to Big Lake and back it does.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah, I shouldn't have outed the shop by name, rather "the shop on Old Seward and E. 74th Avenue" Just to be clear, in this case there was no talk or a price quote of a shop supplied test run. I would have put a kibosh on that. I had actually considered a port/Cook Inlet test run at high tide after I got the boat back. A good mechanic can most often diagnose an issue without actually placing the boat in the water.

...just a little food for thought here. In todays tech world... i took the iphone and made of movie of what the jet was doing and what i was hearing at certain RPM's and the motor "note" under load. These phones have remarkably good recording sound. Went to the shop with the boat. had the machanic come out the truck. plugged the iphone into the radio and played the "movie" through the sound system of the truck. Cranked up the volume on the radio in the truck and they could hear the motor and see the tach and hear the "note" change and the vibration sound. Presto they had a virtual ride along, they new what the harmonic vibration was. Fixed it and i was out the door....(my $0.02)
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by akbrewer View Post
    I wanted to give any unsuspecting boat owners in the Anchorage area who may be desperate to get their boat back in the water to not make the same mistake that I did and take my boat to ............................... off of Old Seward and 74th. Unfortunately those that have needed marine work done in the short summer season up here know how hard it can be to get work done in a timely manner; it’s the nature of the beast in Alaska. Well, after calling around the anchorage area to all the recommended major shops and was told of the realistic wait times to get in their cue I (unfortunately) decided to give ........ my business because I was impatient, knew that my mechanical motor issue was relatively minor and ....... assured me they could get to it and turn it around in a week depending on parts availability. Well what ensued for the next three weeks ran the gamut of poor shop and mechanic horror stories: exceeding originally quoted estimates (by a factor of two), performing the unapproved work without approval, stringing me along (“oh sure we’ll get to it tomorrow”), failure to properly diagnose or diagnose at all, performing work that does not fix problems/symptoms, and quoting additional repair work that was three times the cost of other shop estimates.

Below is a summary of issues:

• Took nearly 2 weeks to begin diagnosing when said they would do it in under three days
    • Took nearly three weeks to perform an unnecessary carburetor gasket replacement
    • Originally quoted $400 for carburetor work. Unapproved bill was $800 for replacement gaskets only, not even a complete rebuild when I picked it up!
    • Boat had numerous new scratches in hull, some went through the gel coat (I cleaned and polished the day before dropping it off so was intimately familiar with all existing surface damage.
    • Carb/spark arrester wasn’t even put back together when I told them I was going to pick it up. And they then tried giving me back the boat without the spark arrestor cover with engine information.
    • Cut my trailer hitch lock without even an apology or a cheap replacement.
    • Quoted an additional $1900 for an intake manifold gasket replacement, with no certainty this would solve my symptoms.

So the long and short of it I have burned nearly a month of precious boating time and last but not least I have nothing to show for it but a couple new gaskets, 800 bucks lighter and still needing work done.

Thought I’d share some of my pain and prevent others from similar experiences. Don’t be so impatient like me and itching to get back on the water
    Maybe you should check out the boat shop called Dewey's I hear they work on boats....not sure it's the area in ANC but I think its in the general location.

You are correct it would be worth your time to file a complaint with the state.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I believe that there's a law up here that says if the bill is more than 10% higher than the estimate and you didn't authorize the higher cost you don't have to pay it. I got this from a guy who runs an auto shop.

Im a hydrant truck mechanic that fixes the trucks that fuel jet planes. If you still need help let me know. Im cheap. I can try to help you out. just cost ya a couple of beers