Thread: Cordova Local Knowledge?

Default Cordova Local Knowledge?

Just read an excellent thread from Fullbush on cutting the backside of Kayak Island, anchoring Controller Bay, then heading up to Cordova. Although I’ve spent many years in PWS, love Cordova Harbor…I’ve never taken Strawberry Bar entrance into the GOA. Since last years snow dump in Valdez…I’m targeting first week of August and motoring back down the Inside, maybe for good. Unfortunately I won’t have my long time boating companion and will crew with volunteers. We brought ‘er up in 2000 but came through Hinchinbrook entrance. Would anyone be able to show me a decent chart, google earth plot, or bar napkin of the Cordova shortcut?

40 ft, Seattle Tri-cabin Trawler, 10 knot hull, single screw Ford Lehman 120

Quote Originally Posted by fishin.mission View Post
    Just read an excellent thread from Fullbush on cutting the backside of Kayak Island, anchoring Controller Bay, then heading up to Cordova. Although I’ve spent many years in PWS, love Cordova Harbor…I’ve never taken Strawberry Bar entrance into the GOA. Since last years snow dump in Valdez…I’m targeting first week of August and motoring back down the Inside, maybe for good. Unfortunately I won’t have my long time boating companion and will crew with volunteers. We brought ‘er up in 2000 but came through Hinchinbrook entrance. Would anyone be able to show me a decent chart, google earth plot, or bar napkin of the Cordova shortcut?

40 ft, Seattle Tri-cabin Trawler, 10 knot hull, single screw Ford Lehman 120
    go the long way, strawberry can be a nightmare.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I agree with with Steve, although I have never been before I have read that you can ground very very easy unless you someone with you that has been before. If you want to still want to do the bar, I would suggest you offer some cash to a local Cordova fisherman and have him lead you out over the bar while you follow him.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

just follow one of the Russian sternpickers when they go out on a silver opening, you'll turn around when they disappear in the foam ahead of you. Again go the long way. When i was gillnetting over there i would quit early in the fishing period to be able to go in through Egg island bar and not have to deal with strawberry, i hated going in through there. You've got to remember fullbrush has a jet rig !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692