Thread: Peak 3 this weekend

Default Peak 3 this weekend

A friend and I went up Peak 3 (two mountains behind Flattop) this weekend, hoping to find some soft spring corn. It was lots of fun, but the soft snow was in short supply. There were some high wispy clouds that were blocking just enough of the sun's heat to keep the snow hard. The last 500' or so below the summit was bulletproof ice, whereas the next 1000' was just hard and chunky. From earlier days when the snow was soft it was pretty cut up, but as long as you picked your places to turn carefully you could still ski it pretty smoothly. (Most of the time, anyhow. ) Near the bottom of the chute and down through the trees the snow was glorious, so hopefully we'll get a little bit of sunshine this week to soften up the whole thing. I'm hoping to head up again on Tuesday or Wednesday after school, so I'll post an update of snow conditions then.

Default Ptarmigan Peak, North Couloir

Brian-
    Don't know if you have any mountaineering skills, but on Saturday two buddies and I climbed the North Couloir of Ptarmigan Peak. There was another party of two going up ahead of us. One guy had brought his skis. We tallked to him on top and then descended ahead of him. At the bottom we watched him ski down. He reported it was awesome. It was snowing hard with about a foot of fresh powder for the first 1000 feet. Next 1K was not as good but still ski-able. Might be a run for you to look into. Pretty steep-about 48 degrees at the most, so you be the judge of your abilities.

I've climbed Ptarmagin a couple of times and have often thought about skiing it. Steep, rocky runs are my absolute favorite! Thanks for the suggestion...I'll have to look into that for next year.