Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big deal Alaskans target shoot in the cold!

Default Big deal Alaskans target shoot in the cold!

I am always amazed when I hear that you rough and tumble Alaskans are out target shooting when it's below zero. Well I went to the range today and fired three rounds just so I could say that I did it. The temp here today was 106 degrees. It is the 21st day this year that the temp has hit tripple diggits. Heat index(other end of the spectrum from wind chill) was 117. Folks that is stinking hot.

One thing about it ....I had the range to myself!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I am always amazed when I hear that you rough and tumble Alaskans are out target shooting when it's below zero. Well I went to the range today and fired three rounds just so I could say that I did it. The temp here today was 106 degrees. It is the 21st day this year that the temp has hit tripple diggits. Heat index(other end of the spectrum from wind chill) was 117. Folks that is stinking hot.

One thing about it ....I had the range to myself!

adapt and overcome, dont be a baby!
    Semper Fi!

Coming from you Greythorn....................I'll try to suck it up!

Hot.
    I left Chugiak 0230 at 52F, flew and drove to Canton, OH, arrived at the rnage at 1100 the next day...to shoot pistol. temp was 106F, whew, hot. Had to keep my 1911 under a towel while changing targets. Quite a temp change. 238 shooters that day on the range.

I was in Iraq in 2003, reach 50C in July ( try 137F) made my Alaskan head hurt.

Both Black Flag days. Push water and pee clear.

Its funny how we can become "prisoners' of the weather extremes for sure. EKC we have had the same here - just so miserably hot you loose all motivation to do anything outdoors. Its also very depressing to see everything dry up/burn up - maybe thats why so many of the countries that lay in the extreme heat zones seem to be so much behind in progress - pretty hard to stay motivated when temps stay at 100 for very long... YUK YUK YUK!
    I got home from work last night at 5 and washed my vehicle for the first time since early june, it was down to 102. Can't even get excited about taking a gun out for some range therapy.....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Y’all can keep that! I paid my life member dues with that hot summer crap, 3 months at a time of 100+ in Phoenix . . . Most of that 110+ and a lot of it triple digit overnight lows. I can’t take it no more, I start seeing floating spots in my eyes at about 80* and by 90 I want to die because I got heat stroke so many times. Cold don’t bother me at all, it bothers all the stuff I use and that can be a pain but it doesn’t make me sick or even uncomfortable like the heat. Besides, I can put on a coat and build a fire anyplace and get worm, what ya gonna do to cooled off outside when its 108 . . . Nada, can‘t do much but tough it out or get out of it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Cold is way better than hot. Shooting in super hot and humid is just miserable. This winter I was at the range when it was 0-5 degrees and I didn't have it to myself. Probably half the benches were full! You can always add clothes, but there (should) be a limit to how much you can take off!

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Y’all can keep that! I paid my life member dues with that hot summer crap, 3 months at a time of 100+ in Phoenix . . . Most of that 110+ and a lot of it triple digit overnight lows. I can’t take it no more, I start seeing floating spots in my eyes at about 80* and by 90 I want to die because I got heat stroke so many times. Cold don’t bother me at all, it bothers all the stuff I use and that can be a pain but it doesn’t make me sick or even uncomfortable like the heat. Besides, I can put on a coat and build a fire anyplace and get worm, what ya gonna do to cooled off outside when its 108 . . . Nada, can‘t do much but tough it out or get out of it!
    Man I am with ya parner, give me cold anyday - I get the heebee geebees after about 80!

Why, its so hot'n dry here the neighbors line up and offer me money when I walk my dog if I will let it pee in their yard!
    If'n ya dig up a worm it has callusus from crawling through dry tunnels!
    Fish have sunburns on their backs!
    Mexicans are leaving and headed back south!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

thats bad when the mexicants are leavin!!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    thats bad when the mexicants are leavin!!
    Don't worry GREY we'll replace'em with VC, Muslims, or Chinese .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The day what started this thread.....I ain't kiddin niether....there was a half a dozen of them mexicants shingling a house down the street. Woulda thought it was to hot to stand on shingles by about 20 degrees. Maybe they was barefoot.......wouldn't surprise me none.

AD I know all about the heat stroke deal. I was a tough cookie until that first one sneaked up on me. I am at the point now where I drink a gallon of water every time I break a sweat.

I used to hang on telephone poles and splice them itty bitty wires and I was good going bare handed until around zero. I hunted pheasants with no gloves too. My hands got real chapped and momma didn't much like that back in them days but nowa day she wouldn't care if they fell clean off. I'm about 40 lbs less man than I was back then and have had the sicklies about one time to many to handle the cold like I used to but it still beats the heck outta way hot.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You can deal with hot weather.

Wear a Straw Hat, and think about that swim in the creek you're gonna have that evening when you get the hay put up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Being from Texas I was somewhat accustomed to the heat and used to go to the range frequently when temps were over 100. Now after being in Alaska for 12 years I know i would just shrivel up and die! I remember during one bad drought- seeing deer strung up on fences from trying to jump them and being too weak to make it and then getting their back legs tangled- heck of a way to die. I have not experienced the extreme cold here that many of you have but I much prefer to put more clothes on than to be miserable in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You can deal with hot weather.

Wear a Straw Hat, and think about that swim in the creek you're gonna have that evening when you get the hay put up.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, it's so hot and dry that the hay is done for the year and everyone is hauling water to the cows cuz the creeks are all dried up. We had storms cut across the state last night, the 70+ mile per hr winds had my power out most of the night. North of town the corn(what is spose to be corn) is all flat on the ground. I heard thunder and sharp cracks of lightening steady for several hours yet we got no rain. It is erie, as if it can't rain. I have never seen anything like it. We have miles of rivers that have run for hundreds of years that are not moving and the low water combined with the heat is killing all the fish.....end times Buddy!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Smitty, it's so hot and dry that the hay is done for the year and everyone is hauling water to the cows cuz the creeks are all dried up. We had storms cut across the state last night, the 70+ mile per hr winds had my power out most of the night. North of town the corn(what is spose to be corn) is all flat on the ground. I heard thunder and sharp cracks of lightening steady for several hours yet we got no rain. It is erie, as if it can't rain. I have never seen anything like it. We have miles of rivers that have run for hundreds of years that are not moving and the low water combined with the heat is killing all the fish.....end times Buddy!
    I hate drougths. We had many, in Missouri when I was a young lad.

When the water was very low we would go Hand-Fishing.

2, 3, or 4 kids would all put our hands around and under beeg rocks and when we felt a fish, we'd grab them. It was better than lettin them die, which would happen if the water went away.

Watta bout "Wacky Waters"? Is that place still in business?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Mayans predicted we would perish in December, I am thinking it is starting when you look at tree's dying and lakes drying up - good grief....

We voted yesterday to strike the word "mud" from the dictionary!
    You have to wear goggles when you flush the toilet to keep the dust outa your eyes!
    Someboday said they saw a cloud and we all ran outside but it was only a rumor.....

Try shooting in 127 degrees,, it was so hot the sand was burning me.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Try shooting in 127 degrees,, it was so hot the sand was burning me.

But you got to wear all that "COOL" gear and shoot a neat gun !! LOL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Long ago in a land far away we used to shoot a lot of rockchucks and ground squirrels- all prone. Especially for the rockchucks we often set up on granite boulders. Temps were so hot (usually 100+) that we carried sleeping bags to roll out on the rocks and even on the ground. "Insulation" works both ways. Also helped cut the mirage coming up off those baking boulders, but you still needed barrel-length hoods on the scopes. Three shots was all you got without the hoods, and it took a good half hour for a gun to cool enough for the mirage to disappear from a bare barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The Mayans predicted we would perish in December, I am thinking it is starting when you look at tree's dying and lakes drying up - good grief....
    Naw, the Mayans didn't predict the end of the world; that's just some white guy's misinterpretation of their calendar....Same guy who no doubt had a hand in causing this drought and want's to pass the blame on to someone else. Good grief indeed!

Big deal Alaskans target shoot in the cold!
    I only shoot down to about -25. Once it gets cold I don't enjoy it so much and tend to occupy myself with other endeavors.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast