Thread: Seward Charter questions

Default Seward Charter questions

Myself, my wife and my little girl will be visiting Alaska in the middle of August, spending the first 5 days in Seward. Over that time I have three charters booked (one as a family, and two solo). I wanted to try out several different operators as we have fished out of Seward before. Two of the three sent me email confirmations immediately following my initial phone calls to book, confirming my payments in full and other pertinant info regarding the charters. The third, following three unreturned phone calls, and an email have yet to send me anything regarding my payment which was processed through my credit card in May. On my last phone attempt a month and a half ago I was able to speak with someone who told me it would be emailed by weeks end, needless to say it wasn't. I am now getting a bit nervous as they have already taken my money, and our trip is under three weeks away. I have also looked at their availability calander on their website which does show my spot, but so far I am the only one booked and I believe they need 4 to go out. Is it customary if boats dont go out due to lack of interest that they help you rebook with someone else who is? If not would I be given ample time to locate another charter, or would I be notified the morning of my sheduled charter? Should I worry about it now or deal with it when we get there? I would contact the charter operator with these questions, but they have some communication problems and I hate like hell calling over and over and over again. Sorry for the list of questions, but a trip to AK from Maine is a pricey one and really would like it to go as smoothly as possible.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishinswede View Post
    Myself, my wife and my little girl will be visiting Alaska in the middle of August, spending the first 5 days in Seward. Over that time I have three charters booked (one as a family, and two solo). I wanted to try out several different operators as we have fished out of Seward before. Two of the three sent me email confirmations immediately following my initial phone calls to book, confirming my payments in full and other pertinant info regarding the charters. The third, following three unreturned phone calls, and an email have yet to send me anything regarding my payment which was processed through my credit card in May. On my last phone attempt a month and a half ago I was able to speak with someone who told me it would be emailed by weeks end, needless to say it wasn't. I am now getting a bit nervous as they have already taken my money, and our trip is under three weeks away. I have also looked at their availability calander on their website which does show my spot, but so far I am the only one booked and I believe they need 4 to go out. Is it customary if boats dont go out due to lack of interest that they help you rebook with someone else who is? If not would I be given ample time to locate another charter, or would I be notified the morning of my sheduled charter? Should I worry about it now or deal with it when we get there? I would contact the charter operator with these questions, but they have some communication problems and I hate like hell calling over and over and over again. Sorry for the list of questions, but a trip to AK from Maine is a pricey one and really would like it to go as smoothly as possible.

thanks
    As a charter operator/captain I'd tell you to do whatever you can to find another charter and get your money back. Maybe contact your credit card company and tell them you suspect fraud. That may be a bit of a "knee jerk" reaction, but I wouldn't stand for that.

I don't think it's at all customary for a charter captain to allow ANY of the behavior you're experiencing. And I've never heard of a charter operator telling you they'll take you out and then at the last minute saying they didn't have enough interest in that day to take you. Personally I ONLY take the number of people out that originally book with me, be it 2, 3 or 4 people, so I don't have that problem. But if a charter captain has a policy that they won't go unless their boat is totally booked they aren't doing a very good job if they don't have some sort of contingency plan for the people that DO want to go out that day. You will be s$$t out of luck probably if you don't go with him/her. You're probably going to have a pretty difficult time finding someone you CAN go out with on very short notice.

And if you have questions for the captain (or booking agent) about your day I wouldn't hesitate to call him/her as many times as necessary unless your calls are totally frivolous. I NEVER mind people calling or emailing me if they have questions. It would be absolutely horrendous customer service for a captain/agent to get upset about you trying to get your questions answered ahead of time.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I suggest you call as many times as it takes to talk to someone and demand either confirmation of your trip or ask for a refund
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

If they are not calling you back, after multiple attempts, cancel your reservation and go with someone who can provide you better service. If they can manage the shore side of their business, it stands to reason the fishing side may well not live up to your expectations. Boats do not go out due to a lack of interest in mid August. they are all going to go fishing.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the responses, and for validating my concerns. What a PIA, I was really looking forward to fishing with this charter too.

I finally was able to get in contact with the charter company via email, and was sent a nice note apologizing for my difficulties with them and offered to refund my trip. I figured I would have difficulty finding another charter, as we will be up there for derby week, but my first call got me on Profish's new BAMF. Everything worked out, water under the bridge.

Who knows? Maybe it turned out for the best. At least PROFISH has a great reputation. Have fun and get a big one. A fellow New Englander (NH)

Thanks Roland for the good juju. Im from NH too, New London. New England is great, but Ak is absolutely spectacular!