Thread: less than 2 years to go...

Default less than 2 years to go...

So my wife and i have less than 2 years till she retires and we caqn move to alaka. She is a veteran school teacher 95th grade) and i have been in the resturant business, welder/fabricator, sales, management and some construction. We will have an ok chunk of change to spend on our home there and i have been, and will continute to do more research on alaska.

Next summer we plan to spend roughly 2 months up there looking around and doing even more firsthand research. She has already been there twice, and i once.

We like the S.E. area, some of the Kenai, talkeetna and TOk. We live in North Dakota and we LOVE the cold. Every winter when it hits below zero, like -40, we open the bedroom windows to let in the nice air and temps. So the weather will not be a major problem. However we are fairly certain that fairbanks would not be for us.

We also like some of the island communities we have seen.

We have a plan that can go several ways. First we move up there and open a B&B/small lodge type business. This would be ideal if we could work it out. Otherwise She will teach, and i will find work + we will have her retirement check from here to add to the pot. I saw a nice 15 acre campground with a 3/2 cabin and like 5 rental cabins on it with 15 rv spots for sale. Something like this would also do well. It was right on a highway.

Over the winter here i was paying 4.10 a gallon for diesel, our prices here arent too far from what some alakans pay. We understand that your location has a GREAT deal to do with prices. IE closer to Anchorage = lower prices, farther away and they go up. We also are used to traveling for shopping and to get to the "city" as the closest lowes/sams club is 100 miles from us. We dont mind doing day trips or even weekend trips to go to town.

We are not young (i am 41, she is 53), but we have learned that hard works = rewards. We know how to work both smart and work hard.

Also looking for a community with a good christian bible church.

So thats what we want in a quick nutshell. Reading somke of these other posts have enlightened me and i thankyou all for it.

PS would also like to be able to hunt and fish close to home, but i dont mind it if i have to travel for that some also. Would also be looking for someone to teach me the alaskan ways of hunting, fishing, and trapping as i have not done much in many years. But its a semi retirement thing....gotta do something. =)

Thanx

NOT to be a naysayer but; Before you choose a place to be visit it in both the summer and winter; many places on the coast get 30 feet of snow that doesn't melt until spring. Some places have more bugs than Kansas has grains of wheat. Many places outside the established cities don't have utilities and residents haul their own water and generate their own power via solar, wind, hydro, or gas generator. The places that do have utilities available you should check as in can be cost prohibitive to have them run to your location. Construction costs can be prohibitive due to items like permafrost, and trucking.

IF you plan to hunt or fish get a copy of the regs now and start reading as they are very involved, and subject to change witout much notice due to emergency closures when quotas are reached.
    GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Most cases the B&B or camp ground will be a two to three month income but maintenance all year.The secret to enjoying Alaska is to learn to live cheaper with less work responsibilities.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanx for the input folks. I have been looking into to all the situations you pose. Like i said it is still kinda all up in the air as to exactly what we will be doing.

We like the idea of off grid living and have no problem with this. We DO want to abel to drop a well and get good water though. Also livving close to shore, or more inland is also up in the air. ALot will depend on where we find the right deal.