Thread: Anyone else called by guy claiming to be TV producer?

Default Anyone else called by guy claiming to be TV producer?

I received a call this morning from some guy with a New York City accent who claimed he was producing some sort of TV show about Alaskan real-estate and wanted to use me and the Dragon-Lady to film B footage of sea-plane only accessible houses in Seldovia.
    The problem is that everything in Seldovia is really road accessible...
    I asked about salt water and he did not know..
    So.....Being suspicious and already having been burned my some other supposed TV film crews, I told him that I was passing...
    Even if it was true it would probably just promote more carpetbaggers with accents like his...

Anyone else been contacted or was this a local scam of some sort...??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot,

If you have caller ID, google the phone number to possibly see if other people have received calls from the same number and/or have reported it as a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I received a call this morning from some guy with a New York City accent who claimed he was producing some sort of TV show about Alaskan real-estate and wanted to use me and the Dragon-Lady to film B footage of sea-plane only accessible houses in Seldovia.
    The problem is that everything in Seldovia is really road accessible...
    I asked about salt water and he did not know..
    So.....Being suspicious and already having been burned my some other supposed TV film crews, I told him that I was passing...
    Even if it was true it would probably just promote more carpetbaggers with accents like his...

Anyone else been contacted or was this a local scam of some sort...??
    Just nce - - - years ago. Flew a TV crew and their travel agent to Belize to film an underwater wedding and never got paid. $8,000 down the drain. Be careful, my friend . . .

I have had calls like that. But for some reason they where all from the late John Holmes agent? How do they know?

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I have had calls like that. But for some reason they where all from the late John Holmes agent? How do they know?

WOW !!! Didn't know ol' John Holmes was into real estate too . . . . . I knew he was into about everything else !

So get this...
    I have had more calls and e-mails from this guy... Who's name checks out anyways...
    Now he claims that they have found some other pilot from Soldotna and they want to film him at the controls of my plane so they can pretend he is flying out to whatever property they are featuring.
    I pointed out that all the property in Seldovia is road accessible via local roads.
    His response was that he knew that, but they want the viewers to think that whatever they show is only float-plane accessible....
    In other words " lie......"

No wonder I do not watch TV....

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    So get this...
    I have had more calls and e-mails from this guy... Who's name checks out anyways...
    Now he claims that they have found some other pilot from Soldotna and they want to film him at the controls of my plane so they can pretend he is flying out to whatever property they are featuring.
    I pointed out that all the property in Seldovia is road accessible via local roads.
    His response was that he knew that, but they want the viewers to think that whatever they show is only float-plane accessible....
    In other words " lie......"

No wonder I do not watch TV....
    The 'pilot' from Slowdotna doesn't have his own plane?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The 'pilot' from Slowdotna doesn't have his own plane?
    That's okay - - - - - the TV guy probably doesn't have any property either !!! What we call a matched pair.

Float Pilot, Tell the city boy that there is a terrible BEAR problem here in Seldovia and there is one that eats city people as they are soft and easy to catch. Just not safe in Seldovia and we have to stay in our house's . OH yea and it is cold and rainy Oh wait that true... anyway McGrath is the place he would love!! or even better Bethel!!!

No kidding..

I liked it better back when nobody knew we were here, did not know we were a State, and could not get here unless they really tried hard....

Even if it did mean growing up on powdered milk and mailed-in can goods from the old Herters, Wards, Roebucks catalogs.
    Man I miss those big cans of Imperial berry jam from Canada....

Old Alaskans built the infrastructure up to a point were the outsider city yahoo's feel safe enough to come up and exploit what is left...

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Float Pilot, Tell the city boy that there is a terrible BEAR problem here in Seldovia and there is one that eats city people as they are soft and easy to catch. Just not safe in Seldovia and we have to stay in our house's . OH yea and it is cold and rainy Oh wait that true... anyway McGrath is the place he would love!! or even better Bethel!!!
    Right on. Or maybe Eek or Pilot Point.