Thread: sight adjustment

Default sight adjustment

Just recently bought a bow is there any trick or easy way to adjust sights really dont have any expierence with a bow. Its seems pretty straight forward but was just curious if there is anything good to know when sighting the bow.

Default Be Patient

Be patient. Make sure the bow is properly tuned first. Shoot more than one (50-10) arrows after making the adjustment unless you are way off. Use the same distance for sight in and adjustment for all adjustments. Once sighted in move farther away and see if you are still on. You may be on at 20 but at 40 be several inches off. If things start getting wacky, rethink and go to basics. If things get relly wacky set it down and start anew another day. Once sighted in and you have practiced enough to know that "this is it", use Whiteout to mark you settings.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The top pin being the near yardage sight pin is adjusted by moving the entire sight for this adjustment. Once set to hit target at this range (usually 20 yards) then next pin down from top will need to be moved so the next yardage shots strike the bullseye. Continue with the remaining sight pins adjusting them individually.

It's usually a good idea to not try to set all pins if you start getting tired. Your ability to shoot accurately when tired is difficult. Sight-in a couple of yardages then take a break before working on the others.

Default sights

thanks for the info we be hittin it hard cause got the bow cert coming up and jus bought the bow.

Probably more info than you need or want but the biggest mistake many bowhunters/shooters make is setting their bow with too much poundage. Best test I've found is to set down, point your bow arm (the one holding the bow) toward the target and while keeping the bow arm level draw your bow. If you either can't pull to full draw or you have to raise the bow from level position, you're pulling too much weight. Best to start off with comfortable poundage and work up.

Good luck.

Remember follow the arrow. If you need to move your sight left or right move it the way the arrow was hitting.

Same goes up and down for the whole bracket until you get in there then you can just move the pins.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What AG said....FOLLOW YOUR ARROW!!!!!

FOLLOW YOUR ARROW
    Just like Alaska Gray said, Hit left move left, hit right move right, hit high move up, hit low move down.

Wink

Lots of good advice given already, to start adjust the pins dead center over you arrow while on the bows rest. Shoot at 10 yards first, if you start at 20 you will be twice as far off, then go from there.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Arrows aint cheap,starting close helps.

Default sight adjustments

back again all the previous advice worked great with sightin in my field tips but for some reason just can not get my broadheads sighted in. should they be paper tuned or is that not needed. ive moved sights, pins and i keep hittin the same place dont know whats goin on maybe i just need a try again another day.

Default Tuning

If the broadheads are not hitting in the same place as the field points, it is most likely a "bow tuning" problem.

We need to know: In relation to the field points, where are the broadheads hitting. "Low right, high left......." Assuming that you are using the same arrows and the same weight broadheads as the field points.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default tuning

they are consistently hitting high right