Thread: Self Bailer outboard recomendations

Default Self Bailer outboard recomendations

The portable outboard world is new to me so looking at recommendations amongst the top brands Suzuki, Tohatsu, Honda etc.

All 6-8 HP units seems to be comparatively very close in weight

Primary use will be to boogy across lakes and around certain sections of the Kenai and various MatSu water bodies as well as the Gulkana etc.

Usually running 2 people and under 200# of gear on the weekends but will take it on the right hunting trip.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I used a 2hp on my Aire 14.3 and got 5.2 mph at full throttle and 4.6 at 5/8th with 4 people and a long weekends gear.
    -JR

I have had a 5hp Honda for the last eight years. The thing ALWAYS starts. It steadily pushes my 16' Sotar sb raft across Paxson Lake and others. When running the Gulkana, I also drop it when I get to the West Fork Confluence and motor out the last eight miles. We haul big loads...4+ people, loaded coolers, chairs, tables, toilet systems, etc. I frequently tow other boats too. The motor is light enough to wrap in a tarp and place it at the bottom of my gear pile (suspended by a cargo platform) after I am done using it; it won't damage my floor, is protected, and out of the way during whitewater and while rigging my boat. I'm not setting any speed records, but it beats the hell out of rowing and allows more time to play.

Josh

I miss my 4 HP Yahama! I miss it, I miss it, I miss it! Old as dirt but two stroke and never failed me. That being said I am running 3.5 Merc's now seem to do ok for the intended purpose and light weight. One tank of gas to cross the lake and run the lower section all self contained. Mind you little small for coming out of the Upper Kenai IMO but doable and the price is reasonable.

Just food for thought.

Did a lot of rowing from Skilak down to where we fished. I don't mind the rowing part, but the lengthy still water push has me wanting a moor for sure.

Would the 6-8hp range have me overpowered? I don't want to buy light then want a few more HP later, not much difference in weight that the raft can't handle and I'm a fairly light packer.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

IMO and this is based on what I have done in the past a 5 HP is more than enough to get you to point A from B however that being said on larger lakes without fly ins I have used a 10 HP. When we run the 20ft Willies we have an 8 on the back and it pushes well. Cataraft I would stick to something under 10. I like the 3.5's I have becuase they are light and I do mean light.

Heg,

What type of motor mount do you use on your raft? I am in the market for a mount for my Sotar, but have not seen too many options. I have a 3.5 hp Johnson. I believe it is a short shaft....do you think that will work? Or do I need a long shaft?

Thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jackson View Post
    Heg,

What type of motor mount do you use on your raft? I am in the market for a mount for my Sotar, but have not seen too many options. I have a 3.5 hp Johnson. I believe it is a short shaft....do you think that will work? Or do I need a long shaft?

Thanks
    Brian
    What model Sotar do you have? Check with Goo on an outboard mount, he has one that's pretty sweet!!

On a self bailer you should be good with a short shaft.