Thread: ADFG upland bird resources

Default ADFG upland bird resources

Gang,

Many of you have read these or could have written them but it's a good refresher as we approach another fine season of chasing feathers. My best guess is that the damp and chilly conditions have been difficult on southcentral chick production so there may not be as many birds on the landscape. Don't let that deter you though, there are certainly birds to be found. Check out the following references below.

Grouse and Ptarmigan Booklet: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...an_booklet.pdf

Grouse and Ptarmigan Poster: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...5&issue_id=110

Post often folks, I'm getting the itch.
    Go Big Red!

PG13,

Actually, the word I've gotten is that your southcentral ruffed grouse have done pretty well this year, so I think there might be reason to feel optomistic.

And I think there is even a book on this subject of upland hunting in Alaska offered on this particular website?

Jim

Was just in there 1/2 an hour ago (ANC office), and they didn't have many of those posters, unless they're only putting a few out and have a stockpile some place else.

LOL. Page 23: "Favorite places for hunters are...Trapper Creek..." GREAT! Just tell everybody why don't you? LOL (Not that they didn't already know.)

Man I would like one of those posters, and the booklet too. hope they have some left when I get back from deployment in Oct.

I can't get back in there before Monday, but I'll go back then and get you one, if there are any left. PM me an address and I'll mail it to you.

Or, if someone else wants to do it before Monday, chime in.

I didn't see any of the booklets. I just downloaded it to my laptop and then onto my iPod. The graphics are weak anyway (line drawings and sketches from what I've read so far) , so it's not like you're missing much in the digital format. (And this from a guy who is a die hard paper book fan.)

Rats! and I just passed through Delta a couple hours ago.... I framed mine and gave one to a pal. They are cool! We are SO fortunate up here with 3 kinds ptarmigan and 4 grouse.

I just came back from Glennallen, only saw two road killed sharpies between Glennallen and Sourdough. Beautiful trip. I glassed Donley Dome but saw nothing this time. Back to training... Some shooting... More walking... My dog is about nuts to go for a walk... My wife is about nuts to have me take the dog for a walk... SO! Time for a walk!

I've heard of some pretty decent numbers of birds in a few different areas of the state. I'm pretty excited for this year.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

The Anchorage office is fully loaded was just there.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

PM sent, thanks I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I can't get back in there before Monday, but I'll go back then and get you one, if there are any left. PM me an address and I'll mail it to you.

Or, if someone else wants to do it before Monday, chime in.

I didn't see any of the booklets. I just downloaded it to my laptop and then onto my iPod. The graphics are weak anyway (line drawings and sketches from what I've read so far) , so it's not like you're missing much in the digital format. (And this from a guy who is a die hard paper book fan.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    PM sent, thanks I appreciate it!
    Oh yeah. that reminds me,I have to go get your poster LOL. I got your PM.

By the way, folks, I must be blind. I was back in there today, getting a poster for Matt, and I found the booklets 6" above where the posters are. They have plenty of both.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    By the way, folks, I must be blind. I was back in there today, getting a poster for Matt, and I found the booklets 6" above where the posters are. They have plenty of both.
    BTW if you dont feel like mailing it to the address, if your up chugiak way anytime you could drop it off at the house. My wife will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    BTW if you dont feel like mailing it to the address, if your up chugiak way anytime you could drop it off at the house. My wife will be there.
    Yeah ok. I'll probably just mail it. I got you a book, too, but it's more like a pamphlet.