Thread: Copper River - How late is too late to dipnet?

Default Copper River - How late is too late to dipnet?

Quick question. Work keeps getting in the way of my dipnetting and freezer filling. The earliest I could entertain getting over there is about August 20th. Is that too late to be able to pick up some fish? Does Hem's still run people up and down the river at that time? I'm dying with out my fish the last few years! Thanks for any input.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I've heard of people dipping at Chitina into September, but I don't know the cut-off from the regs (maybe Sept 15th?).

One of the guys I worked with last year loves to dip between Aug 10 - 20th because he said the runs are usually still strong and you can pick up a mixed bag of reds and a silver or two.

After a trip to Valdez a few years ago, I stopped there in late August . . . like the 25th. Caught 6 in an hour or so.

Sept 30th is the last day it's open.

I've caught reds (mostly blush) into mid-late August. Like Norseman said the coho's start their trip around that time.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I think Mark said he was chartering thru Aug 25. Was on the hotline report: http://chitinadipnetters.com/hotline withing the last week or so. I'm aiming for that last week hopefully midweek. Worked for me well the last two years to go mid to later Aug.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Very bad dipping to change by Monday? I hope so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chitina View Post
    I think Mark said he was chartering thru Aug 25. Was on the hotline report: http://chitinadipnetters.com/hotline withing the last week or so. I'm aiming for that last week hopefully midweek. Worked for me well the last two years to go mid to later Aug.
    Hem's report from above website for today:
    Fishing report: Thursday, August 16, 2012

The river has continued to rise and is effectively flooding. There is a lot of wood floating too. Today doesn’t even get a 1 on my 1 – 10 scale with 10 being the best. This will definitely last through the weekend, so if you’re hoping to get fish this weekend it won’t happen. Hopefully this will change by Monday. Charters start new hours Monday, 8am – 6pm, and we will operate through the 25th of August. Check in at Chitina 1 Stop before you go to the river if it is after 8am. Very dark at night, bears around. Update Saturday night unless things change for the better.
    Due to a broken gas pump Chitina has no gas – closest gas to Chitina is Kenny Lake Merc., about 5 miles after you turn onto the Edgerton Hwy.

I sure hope it picks up by Monday as that will be when my net is in the water. Wish me luck.
    Paul Holland

Thanks for the update! My last day of work is today, outside of the lodge, for the next 6 weeks!! I'll keep a close eye and head down if things get better.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Was going to be dipping today but pushed it back a few days. Should be Friday the nets in the water(and hopefully some reds in the net) The bad forecast played maybe a third of the weight in delaying the trip and a couple other factors the rest. By the time Hem updated with a more positive forecast I'd made my mind up to go later in the week.(also was able to quickly cover my shifts on Thur and Fri) At any rate looks like the river is dropping from Sundays update:
    Report Date Sat, Aug 18th at 9:00pm
    Fishing Level Good
    River Level Normal and Falling
    Fishing report: Saturday, August 18, 2012
    The river has dropped considerably and fishing has picked back up and gotten “much more gooder”. A few silvers showing up now; still plan on working hard and spending the day to get fish. Charters hours have changed again, 8am to 6pm. If you expect to get out after 9am, you had better check in at Chitina 1 Stop first. Charters here through August 25th. Check the hotline before you come.
    Due to a broken gas pump Chitina has no gas – closest gas to Chitina is Kenny Lake Merc., about 5 miles after you turn onto the Edgerton Hwy.

Should improve as week goes on, I hope.
    Paul Holland

Fishing report: Wednesday, August 22, 2012
    Everyday fishing is getting slower and slower. Today averaged about 12 fish per permit which would translate to about a 3 ½ on my 1 – 10 scale. If it continues on this pattern tomorrow, we will be closing after Friday instead of Saturday. I’ll give you a definite decision by Thursday night We are opening at 8am now.
    Due to a broken gas pump, Chitina has no gas – closest gas to Chitina is Kenny Lake Merc., about 5 miles after you turn onto the Edgerton Hwy.

and today Fairbanks Daily News Miner:
    http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...was-a-classic?

Am hitting the road here in an hour or so for first and only trip down this year(was set to do a very early trip as late Aug. seems too long to wait to taste fresh Reds and also to have a shot a King, both practically as they don't run this late and legally as outstate commercial fishers have priority over Alaskans for Kings apparently) but the early surge and supplementals sent huge crowds down and waiting for a Charter two days or somesuch wasn't in the cards for me so I bailed on the early trip).
    Well regardless of what the prediction is I'll have my net in the water and see what happens.
    Wish me luck.
    Paul Holland

Went out 9am Aug 24 on the last boat dropping people off of 2012 and came back on the last boat of 2012. Between me and my brother got 37. Around 1/3 silvers the rest very nice reds, well one very reddish red. Kept a net in the water at the hot spot pretty close to 8+ hours out of the 9 possible. A second net in the water half the time but only caught 6-8 with the second net and all those right near, if not bumping the net in the hot spot.
    Last edited by Chitina; 08-25-2012 at 22:00. Reason: spelling
    Paul Holland

Default September Dipnetting

Any current reports out there? I'm wondering if a trip to chitina for the silvers is feasible. Thanks

toasty . . . the only reports I've read are from the Fish and Game commercial fisheries reports. There's apparently still 15 - 20,000 silvers a day getting caught by the boats, but counts are exceeding 30,000 fish per day. I suspect those are split between the copper and other rivers, but it's not a stretch to think there are silvers to be dipped. Might be 3,000 - 5,000 a day going through Miles lake, which is fairly good. As long as the rains don't impact the river too much, there should be a few running through the end of the season.