Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XtraTufs no longer made in the USA

Thumbs down XtraTufs no longer made in the USA

And the quality definitely shows in the change.

http://m.adn.com/adn/db_90853/conten...tguid=sATppaTZ
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

you know the worse side of this is the last pair I bought were made here and they came apart on me in 4 months, they were replaced with made in china

I wonder how the parent company will respond when 95% of their AK sales are sent back... Provide "new and improved" China versions?

I wonder if any other boot maker will step up and take advantage of this debacle. Who is out there that has a product that could compete?

AKArcher

I hate to say it but the ones built by children in china are probably anybit as good as the one's made by union labor here, that could have been the deciding factor, cost on making the product

Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I hate to say it but the ones built by children in china are probably anybit as good as the one's made by union labor here, that could have been the deciding factor, cost on making the product
    In the article it states that the company has acknowledged that they haven't trained the China work force adequately...

While I hate to see jobs move overseas and purchase non-USA made products, I have grown to love my XtraTufs and want my next pair to be as good as the pair I've had for 5 years.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    If the over compensated union members could compete cost wise there would be no reason to go overseas. In NO way do I support sending jobs overseas but you can't blame Stateside companies when their only alternative to going out of busniess is seeking out lower cost production that will keep them competitive with others who choose to use cheap labor.

I will spend more for US made products but in so many cases that is not an option anymore.....rant off!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Don't blame unions. Stockholders want returns. Consumers are cheap. Companies do what they have to do to sell products and make money. Without that there's no reason for them to be in business.

Cheap labor isn't a union issue, it's a worldwide economics issue. But don't worry, the current administration is going to tax us back into prosperity so you have nothing to worry about. :-)

Do's this mean my XtraTufs are now a collectors item?

I think I like Mucks better anyway.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I think I like Mucks better anyway.
    Good luck with that. Mucks are made by Honeywell; same company that makes Extratuffs.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What a bummer to learn Alaskas beloved Xtra Tuffs are now chinese junk.
    I think the only way to get their loyal customer base back is to fix their problem ASAP and issue a total recall on the shoddy boots. that will not bring us all back but would help many of them.
    I don't think it is a union non-union deal on the company moving.
    I remember when Air Jordans first came out and were costing $100 a pair and people were getting shot for them. It came out that they only cost Nike $6 a pair. They had them made in Indonesia and their labor cost was something like .25 cents an hour over there.
    What does a factory worker in China make? maybe $1 or $2 an hour tops? What do you suppose they paid their workers in Illinois probably $8-$10 an hour? A cost savings of 80-90% in labor alone is a good motivator for management looking to save $$ and make higher profits. unio n or not no American worker could/would work for that.
    This could easily turn political with talk of corporate tax rates foreign import tarriffs and our president so I won't elaborate further.
    But we need to take steps to keep American companies in America.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    What a bummer to learn Alaskas beloved Xtra Tuffs are now chinese junk.
    I think the only way to get their loyal customer base back is to fix their problem ASAP and issue a total recall on the shoddy boots. that will not bring us all back but would help many of them.
    I don't think it is a union non-union deal on the company moving.
    I remember when Air Jordans first came out and were costing $100 a pair and people were getting shot for them. It came out that they only cost Nike $6 a pair. They had them made in Indonesia and their labor cost was something like .25 cents an hour over there.
    What does a factory worker in China make? maybe $1 or $2 an hour tops? What do you suppose they paid their workers in Illinois probably $8-$10 an hour? A cost savings of 80-90% in labor alone is a good motivator for management looking to save $$ and make higher profits. unio n or not no American worker could/would work for that.
    This could easily turn political with talk of corporate tax rates foreign import tarriffs and our president so I won't elaborate further.
    But we need to take steps to keep American companies in America.
    +1 Rep sent. Always disappointing to see/hear folks take every opportunity to blame every single one of their perceived problems on "the current administration". That tired mantra doesn't hold water. We live in a global economy now. We can attempt to isolate ourselves and watch the rest of the world quickly pass us by, or we can change our paradigm, and our lifestyles, and learn to compete in the world economy. There are no other options and anyone who thinks otherwise has his head stuck in the sand and on his way to becoming extinct.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Let's see...cut government regulations, spending and lower taxes...income, personal, corporate and investment taxes...not likely to happen from this administration and those things have nothing to do with the global economy. We must be leading the world again...not watching it pass by or follow failed European policy....back on topic...where are La Crosse boots made? I've always had good luck with them.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Let's see...cut government regulations, spending and lower taxes...income, personal, corporate and investment taxes...not likely to happen from this administration and those things have nothing to do with the global economy. We must be leading the world again...not watching it pass by or follow failed European policy....back on topic...where are La Crosse boots made? I've always had good luck with them.
    You can lay out the grand plan of how the country should operate in a global economy, but you need someone else to tell you where your boots are manufactured?
    #Resist

Taiga,

They are US made...that's why I asked the question. Perhaps I should have made a statement and you would not have been confused...my bad.

I was just in Sportsman's last week looking for a pair of XtraTuff type boots, and the LaCrosse Boots I saw were Chinesium. (Made in China.) In fact, the ONLY pair of USA made boots on the entire wall were Servus (Honeywell) boots. Only 30 bucks, too. Guess which ones I bought.

It's getting harder and harder to find American made things. There are a lot of items out there, but no retailer will carry them; it's all online.

BTW, all this anti-union, taxation, political stuff is just a bunch of noise. In most cases, I can buy an American product (when it's available) for literally pennies and sometime a few percent more than the Chinese garbage. The American consumer bus Chinese (really ANY import, it's mostly the same effect) because they're uninformed and to lazy to become informed. We don't want to be inconvenienced by searching for a domestic made option, and corporate leaders are all too willing to take advantage of that.

Those US made rubber boots I bought at $30 cost 1/3 that of the Chinese boots, including XtraTuffs. Why would you buy the import ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Taiga,

They are US made...that's why I asked the question. Perhaps I should have made a statement and you would not have been confused...my bad.
    I'm not confused.

"2001:Company announces that it will shift from a manufacturing and distribution model toward one focusing on product development and marketing--with production increasingly outsourced; plant in La Crosse is shut down and production shifted to Asia; headquarters are moved from La Crosse to Portland, Oregon."

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...r-inc-history/
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Good luck with that. Mucks are made by Honeywell; same company that makes Extratuffs.
    I like the fit and style of Mucks better that XTs. I couldn't care less where either are made.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'm not confused.

"2001:Company announces that it will shift from a manufacturing and distribution model toward one focusing on product development and marketing--with production increasingly outsourced; plant in La Crosse is shut down and production shifted to Asia; headquarters are moved from La Crosse to Portland, Oregon."

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...r-inc-history/
    I stand corrected sorta...they do make boots in their plant in Portland, OR but I did not read far enough to see the shift of some of their products to the Chicoms....Sorry!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast