Thread: Accessing fuel pickup tube in portable gas tank

Default Accessing fuel pickup tube in portable gas tank

I need to check to see if there's anything restricting the flow of gas coming from my 6-gallon portable plastic tank. I unscrewed the quick-connect fitting on the tank and tried pulling the tube out of the tank, but something on the end of the tube keeps me from pulling it out. Anyone ever disassemble these things? I checked online for diagrams to give me an idea of how it's put together, but no luck.

Normaly, say on a Tempo* type fuel tank, one has to remove/unscrew the float/pick up assembly from the tank and remove it all together. There may a crack or clogged screen (I think there is a screen in tube). Alos it is only one tank you have issues with? If not it may well be o-rings leaking on a connector or a bad check valve in the squeeze bulb, or a plugged vent on the filler cap .

It's an OEM Tohatsu tank, but I'd guess that most of the tanks are built similarly. The fuel line connects to a brass, quick-connect elbow fitting. I unscrewed the fitting and tried pulling the whole assembly out but at the end of the tube is something that's larger than the hole that I'm trying to pull it through. I'm just trying to get to whatever filter or screen is at the end of that tube. I only have the one tank (for my kicker). The vent works fine. The motor runs fine at idle speed, just not when I increase the rpms. The bulb stays firm at idle speed. I need to check some things at higher speeds when I'm on the water next, but am just trying to troubleshoot as much as I can now so that if I really need the kicker next time out it's working right. O-rings in the fuel line look to be in good condition. I'll have to work my way through the list of possible problems one at a time to figure it out. Have already checked the filter (screen) in the kicker and it looked fine.

One option is to apply some air pressure (lung power first) to the pickup tube from the opposite direction to verify if it is clear, or not. Another possibility is that the fuel pump is weak and is only able to supply good fuel at idle speed, one way to diagnose that would be to squeeze the bulb while applying the throttle, if peformance is improved suspect a faulty fuel pump. Also, if there are clamps anyplace along the fuel hose check them, one may be loose enough to allow for air to get drawn into the line.