Thread: 2007 Optimax No Water Flow Alarm on the Kenai

Default 2007 Optimax No Water Flow Alarm on the Kenai

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. I was dip netting on the Kenai with friends Saturday and my motor computer gave a warning sound. I shut it down and double checked everything and finally noticed I had no tell tale water flow out of the motor. Ok, I am to nervous about buying a new motor so I get towed in and thanks to the guys that took time out of their dip netting to help us! I got suggestions from bad water pump to dirt in the intakes. Well, we tore into it last night and there wasn't enough dirt in the water pump or the intakes to cause anything. Mine has an intake strainer for the fuel rail and air compressor supply line, but it wasn't stopped up enough to cause a no flow out of the tell tale. The book says if that screen is backed up that the tell tale will be non-existant or weak. I hooked the hose up and back flushed that strainer hole. I also unhooked the tell tale hose and blew air through that. We cleaned everything up and ran the motor with a trash can for water supply and still no tell tale. I did not run long enough to let it get to operating temp, but no flow is no flow. The water pump looks like a new one with no wear lines or grooves. Seals are all intact and look good. So, why no tell tale if the pump looks this good? Could there be anything in the top cooling area of the air compressor? Any thoughts? Thanks for any help folks.
    Mark

Have you run a continuity check across the water pump connections yet?

I had that issue once and the tell tale was plugged.
    Take a piece of weed whacker line and poke it in the tell tale and try again.
    Some motors will not have any water out of the tell tale until the thermostat opens.
    If the weed whacker trick doesn't work replace the thermostat as it could be stuck closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Have you run a continuity check across the water pump connections yet?
    Care to elaborate? I am not very strong on electrical Grizzly.

Thanks for the responses. Per a good Mercury mechanic at Merita that I spoke with the water pump was likely a bit out of spec. This turned out to be true and we got her all buttoned up.

A bit out of spec ? It uses a rubber impeller, yes ? If it "looked" good and the blades were hard agianst the housing and flexed back as they should be, and the hub fit the shaft as it should, then my money is on a spun hub in the impeller. A quick ingestion of sand/silt can be enough to lockup the blades of the impeller while the shaft turns the hub, this can be very difficult to see when the motor gets shut down soon after noticing an issue.

On an aside, a spare impeller is a good item to have aboard for "streamside" repairs.