Thread: First AK Bow hunt.

Default First AK Bow hunt.

First off let me start by saying this site is great for information, ive been looking on it for awhile for duck hunting. Second i plan on my first bow hunt for a Caribou in mid Sept. up the Haul. Ive bow hunted white tails in Louisiana, Ive been getting comfortable with shooting a little bit further than what im used too. Any pointers, tips, how to, or where to would be appreciated. I would love to fill my freezer and a decent mount. Thanks in advance.

I think the hardest thing you will have to overcome is, Forget Everything You Know About Whitetail Hunting! Second, Alaska tundra is nothing like walking in a corn field. Third, you won't see a tree for 100 miles most likely. Fourth, you will be shooting not only 60+ yards, you will be shooting in a wind tunnel, so practice in really bad conditions...if the weather turns good you will be that much more prepared. Take gear that is warm, easy to dry, and avoid dark colors or dark camo as you will look like a bear. Late September, prepare for snow, have chains...I always carry a couple of snow tires with studs as spares for my truck. Use a CB at all times on the haul road and give Semi trucks the right of way. Do not bust someone else's stalk! Stop and watch or proceed when you think it won't interrupt the stalk. Quality optics will make you much happier than WalMart specials as you will spend hours with them most likely. Last, enjoy and have fun...take tons of pics! Good luck and good hunting.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger45
    Spot on good post

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks Roger for the advice.