Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mud Tires Are Best

Default Which Mud Tires Are Best

I'm looking to upgrade my stock tires on my sportsman 800 to some tires that will perform the best when I take it out to places like Eureka. Any help would be appreciated.

Calling one particular tire the "best" will be very difficult. You will hear folks tossing around Mudlites, 589's, Mudbugs, etc... I think pretty much anything with more aggressive tread than stock will be a very noticeable upgrade.

I went with a tire called the "Swamp witch" basically because it had all the benefits of the above mentioned tires, but was considerably cheaper. The tires are a bit heavier than the Mudlites and Mudbugs, but I don't know if a few pounds really makes that much difference. The swamp witches are 6-ply and the tread wraps around onto the sidewall to help climb out of ruts (the 589 tread doesn't wrap around). I ran them all last summer and it was amazing how well they pulled through the mud and after 300 miles or so, they still look new.

Here's a pic -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I would try to google some of the ATV sites to see if they did tests. Most people will always say what they purchased is the best simply because that is what they bought. Compromises need to be made between pure mudding tires and how well they handle on the trail. One tire can not do both exceptionly well.
    I went with mudlites because they were fairly inexpensive and have been happy with my choice. But I do not have any experience with other brands.
    Like AKMud said, any after market aggressive tire will be worlds above stock tires. It is money well spent for sure.
    Tennessee

Default MY 589s

I think my 589s work really well and i feel like what sets them apart from the rest is they dont have a valley in the middle of the lugs so they dont wear down as fast. As far as climbing out of the ruts...I have been in situations where it took a little extra compared to a tire that would have tread that wrapped all the way around.

We have ran Gator tires by GBC and they are absolutely awesome. We run them on Cat's but know others who have them on Honda Rubicons and whatnot. If you are going to get any upgrade for your wheeler (other than a winch), tires are a must!!

For pure mud only probably the original Highlifter Outlaws. But, when you get on hill climbs, rocks etc. They don't have much grip. They sure paddle though. I have the MudMachine BiTri Claws that I bought about 6 years ago. At that time they were know as the best riding big lug mudtire that was still fairly decent on other types of terrain. They have worked well but since then I think there are better Alaska atv tires out there. Ones that can paddle through the slop and then grip the rocks when climb up the ridges. Like the SwampWitch or HighLifter Outlaw MST's.

If I were going to buy tires today I'd probably go with the 28inch Highlifter MST's. I have a buddy who has run 589's, Mudlites, 28 inch Outlaws, 29 inch Outlaws and now runs the 28 inch Outlaws MST's. Out of them all the MST's are clearly the best for our varied terrain in Alaska.

Here's a pic of my Claws. They rears paddle and the fronts pull. They plow through deep sloppy mud like crazy.

I have a set of 27 " mud sharks and I love them, but they aren't the best on hard trails at high speeds. I have them my 800 sportsman and they go alot better through the swamp and mud than my brother's 800 sportsman with 27 " mud lites.
    Boatless

We bought a pair of goodyear mudrunners I think they are excellant tires

I run 589's. That said, there are a lot of very good tires out there. I would look at the tires ability to clean out the tread as you spin them. JMO, but if they won't clean out, you might as well run slicks. Another point is the more aggressive you go, the greater the risk of breaking a cv or u-joint, been there done that!

Default ?

Does anyone run mud tires on their yam Big Bears? I have a 400 4x4 man and I am looking to get some mudders and would like some recommendations. I am thinking about the Mud Lites. I don't really care for fancy rims or anything, I just want the traction.

byrd_hntr mud lites are good tires but there are better tires on the market. Swamp Witches and HL MST's are an excellent choice. 589's are tough and studdable but have no sideway traction, they are a good tire imo but there are better. Mudbugs are good, I like mine. They are actually ligther than mudlites in most sizes and have better all around traction imo. Mudrunners are good tires too. Bi/Tri's are an excellent choice if you ride more mud than hardpacked, but still ride good in both conditions. They don't have as much bite on hardpacked stuff as the others I mentioned, but they float ontop of mud like a dream.

If most of your riding is a majority of mud look at zillas, outlaws or EDL's. I liked my zillas, they were great in the mud and climbing out of holes, but I didn't use them enough to justify them sitting in my shed. I have no experience with laws or EDL's.

For a Big Bear I would stay in the 26" range and I would stay away from blackwaters, 489's, and all of yester years top atv tires.

Default Big Bear

I have the 25" Swamp Witches on mine, about 3 years or so. Little heavy for the big bear unless you putz along like me. Mud lites would probably be a better tire for the Big Bear.

A friend of mine has 26" titan 589's on his 400 big bear, he love's them.

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Does anyone run mud tires on their yam Big Bears? I have a 400 4x4 man and I am looking to get some mudders and would like some recommendations. I am thinking about the Mud Lites. I don't really care for fancy rims or anything, I just want the traction.
    i have 26" mud lites xl on my 95 350 big bear 26x9x12" in front and 26x12x12 in the rear i would not go with anything heaver on the big bear

I try to go to Eureka at least 2X a year. We ride to the Little O area. General trips are 100+ miles in a day. I have been stuck a couple times due to picking the wrong trail, but not enough to warrant a set of tires. Stock tires will get you around fine at Eureka. I would worry more about the quality of ride and resistance to blowouts. Last trip was 102 miles round trip. If I would have had my 589's, I would have been very sore.

I have found that when it comes to mud, rider experience is a huge key. Picking the correct path, initial speed and throttle control make a huge difference to getting through the bad stuff.

If you are going to other areas. You may find that you can go farther and faster if you have mud tires. Taking time to winch is time not traveling.

Everybody has an opinion, don't they? Well here's mine.

I bought a Kawi650, put on Outlaws. Loved them. Then I got the Kawi750, put on Mudlites, recommended by the dealer. (Please tell me - After I buy front & rear gear boxes and fill them up with heavy things, why do I care what my tires weigh?) I took my 750 for a test run in the muddy trails in my back yard. I got stuck, while my 12 year old daughter breezed by me on the 650.

I have a set of Mudlites for sale, like new, 30 hours. Please contact me if you want them. I'll throw in the stock tires (unused).

The Outlaws are agressive, hard to handle in ruts, and rough riding. So what? You want a smooth ride? Buy a Porsche and move south. Or stick to the trails with the girls. You want to get to remote places? I pick deep lugs, side lugs, and thick skins.

Just my opinion.

Default mudlites

Mudlites all the way.
    No steering heaviness. No clutching problems. Spin clean quickly, lightweight, 6 ply, inexpensive, run quiet, run smooth on hard trail....Did I miss anything?

Frank

With the long hard packed mining trails Eureka has to offer an aggressive set of tires may not be totally nescessary, but whenever I climb Monument, or pass through the marshy areas of the lil tyone/lil nel, or even cross the first 5 mile stretch of the trail from the parking lot I realize how effective these tires are. I often ride 100 mile trips up at Eureka even with 28" mudbugs. A soft riding IRS machine with a good riding aggressive tire is an amazing combo. Some of the new radials on the market have an amazing, soft as silk, ride quality.

Default Vampires

I have 2 sets of Vampires, and of all of the people I have ridden with and all of the different types of tires they have I have not once wished I had their tires over the Vampires.

You ask for the best in MUD !!!!! Tracks #1 Vampires #2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast