Thread: Mainer I need your help

Default Mainer I need your help

got an old Grumman 19 SQ need the year of MFG. so Ican REG. it as required by the DMY
    the hull # is GBP01636C586 I think it is 1986 how far off am I an where can I get what is required in the boat
    to run in the day time no nights what prop did you end up getting the best performass out of

SID

Yip, sounds like your old Grumman is a 1986 model. That HIN is all you'll need to get it registered. I ended up saving the stock prop as a spare, and went with a pitch that was two sizes more aggressive than what originally came on the motor. The motor has some impressive torque, and doesn't lug down by a load. When the prop is lifted, the RPM's were too high even with a heavy load with the stock prop. I picked up about 2 mph across the board with the more aggressive pitch. Steering was more responsive at idle which was nice when going slow while hunting. I can't remember which prop, but all you have to do is take the numbers off your stock prop, and tell Marita you want one that is two sizes more aggressive pitch.

For boats the size of our canoes, a whistle and pfd's seem to be all that's required, and a flare gun I think, although I don't carry one. My headlamp has an SOS flasher, so I just dunno here is the CG rules:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/reqequip.htm

With my older Discoveries canoes, I actually HAD to run three inches of lift on a standard 15 inch transom. 15 inch tall skinny canoe transoms would dig all the way down to the water's surface, and you'd get alot of spray. So 18 inches was the height the motor like to be run at. In shallows, of course I ran it higher. Here's the height I ran the motor on the Yukon:

Attached Images Attached Images

I am redoing my comment

as I run a lift that is out of Faidbanks I will have to change my lift point the old set up was for a OMC 15hp 2 cycle an the distance the tip of the skag to the plate was about 11 an 1/2 inches an the new eng is about 10 inches that
    1 & 1/2 inch will change things around , will be able to run thinner water befor I get out an drag , the old setup was a 2x4 set on the transom wide side up did a great job