Thread: transferring to anchorage

Default transferring to anchorage

hello all,

i'm transferring up to anchorage first week of august for my job and i'm looking to meet some locals

i have never fished or hunted ak so it will be a big learning curve...

i love to chase anything with feathers especially ducks and geese...i'd like to meet somebody to show me the ropes of ak... i've never hunted grouse and tarmigan "sp"...

been duckin since 1985...so maybe we can teach each other if you want to learn ducks...i want to learn grouse...

i cant figure out how to send a pm so..

gary
    812 989 1003 text

Welcome, Gary. The Last Frontier, where game can be plentiful but nobody will share. You're on the right track finding these forums, especially this and the waterfowl forum. There can be some gems found in others but if you have a job then you won't have time to stay current on all of them. There are some scouting hints if you can read between the lines but this is mostly a clearinghouse for many of us to talk feathers without the hassles and leg-lifting that occurs in the hunting forum.Your pm access will not activate until you get enough posts, I'm unsure on the exact number. The State has a relatively new biologist position that focuses exclusively on small game. Rick Merizon is the fellas name and though he won't tie any birds down for you he will probably help you learn what to look for which is much more valuable. I personally don't like trees so I hunt water or alpine but there are some good forest grouse folks on this site as well.http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...ptarmigan.pdfI wish you and everyone else luck as you take to the timber an trails in a few short weeks.-Prairie Guy
    Go Big Red!

Let's try this again... Smart phone my $^%.

Welcome, Gary. The Last Frontier, where game can be plentiful but nobody will share. You're on the right track finding these forums, especially this and the waterfowl forum. There can be some gems found in others but if you have a job then you won't have time to stay current on all of them. There are some scouting hints if you can read between the lines but this is mostly a clearinghouse for many of us to talk feathers without the hassles and leg-lifting that occurs in the hunting forum.

Your pm access will not activate until you get enough posts, I'm unsure on the exact number.

The State has a relatively new biologist position that focuses exclusively on small game. Rick Merizon is the fellas name and though he won't tie any birds down for you he will probably help you learn what to look for which is much more valuable. I personally don't like trees so I hunt water or alpine but there are some good forest grouse folks on this site as well.

You can get this booklet by sending an email to Fish and Game, going into their office, or printing it out at home. It's a good place to start. - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...an_booklet.pdf

I accidentally found this poster while looking for the booklet above. It's new this year. It's a visual representation of what I've coined the Upland Heaven 7, the grand slam of grouse in The Last Frontier. - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...5&issue_id=110

I wish you and everyone else luck as you take to the timber an trails in a few short weeks.-Prairie Guy
    Go Big Red!

hey gary, ive always wanted to do the water fowl thing. Sh%t i make a mean asian orange duck(store bought of course). if you wanna hunt and fish, hit me up with an e-mail. I only do small game right now. 19 years hear and the biggest thing i have killed was a rabbit, but i know where they are at.

Quote Originally Posted by c230komp05 View Post
    hey gary, ive always wanted to do the water fowl thing. Sh%t i make a mean asian orange duck(store bought of course). if you wanna hunt and fish, hit me up with an e-mail. I only do small game right now. 19 years hear and the biggest thing i have killed was a rabbit, but i know where they are at.
    Yes sir,

Ill be in town this coming Friday....lord willing...

I look forward to meeting you...

Gary

Cant send email...

Gary.jane71 at gmail.com

812 989one003